2 Posts

Golferino» Forums » General

Subject: Missing golf ball... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
Can any owners of this game post the dimensions of the golf ball...I assume it's just a steel ball bearing? Thanks in advance!

If anyone is parting out a game and is interested in selling the ball and the trophy, just message me, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Miller
msg tools
mb
So I went ahead and purchased an assorted lot of steel chrome ball bearings to test out and here are my thoughts and findings:

3/8 inch ball bearing:
Pros:
- Has the correct amount of mass to consistently roll from the green into the cup
- Looks visually correct to the screenshots shown here on BGG
- Enough mass to teeter the "see-saw" bridge on hole #8
Cons:
- Golfer fails 8 out of 10 times to negotiate the short/high ramp on hole #5. With the greatest amount of force on the lever that decreases the failure rate to about 4-10. Although the golfer swings freely and is very functional this could be the main factor limiting the travel of the ball.
- Golfer fails 4 out of 10 times to negotiate the "see-saw" bridge on hole #8. Again, with the greatest amount of force on the lever that decreases the failure rate to almost zero...but placing that amount of stress on the mechanics and the golfer causes concerns.

5/16 inch ball bearing:
Pros:
- Can navigate and cover the entire game board with relative ease.
Cons:
Lacks the correct amount of mass to consistently roll from the green into the cup...sporadically stopping short of the cup by 1" or less.
- Looks too small proportionally to the screenshots shown here on BGG
- Lacks the mass to teeter the "see-saw" bridge on hole #8
- Lacks the mass to activate the cup on hole #9.
- Occasionally has trouble negotiating the ramp on hole #5. Either this is an engineering flaw where there isn't enough force generated by the golfer or age plays a role (there is no noticeable club drag).

Conclusion: The 3/8" ball bearing is the correct one for this game and the golfer is showing it's age in respect to hole #5.

Option?: There are Delrin balls that consist of an engineering thermoplastic. It's nice that they are already white in color but based on the specs I see they are approximately 1/3rd the weight of the steel balls. They would likely be too light to activate some of the ramps and moving pieces (cup, ferris wheel, etc.) and they are more expensive than the steel bearings.

If anyone has any thoughts about the above information or perhaps share any tips or solutions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.