Hide
12 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Saxony Stars per turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evazan
msg tools
I'm not sure if this should be in the rules forum or session forum but I'll post it here.

I played my first 5 player game last night and just wanted a quick rules clarification to make sure I played this right. 3 of the 5 players were playing for their first time. I was playing Saxony with mechanical board.

Most players just started getting stars out and most had in the range of 2-3. I had 3 stars out one of which was from maxing my power. I had also upgraded my move ability so that I could move up to three units. When it came to my turn as a result of having all of my mechs abilities and three moves I was able to initiate 3 different combats all over the board. I won them all easily because my opponents barely had any power and the game was over. I ended up with more then double the points of anyone else.

I don't see anywhere in the rules limiting stars per turn or only one star from combat per turn but I'm just wondering if I'm missing it. It just seemed like I was able to end the game so suddenly and I think it might have left a bit of a sour feeling about the game for the other players who just started getting their engines going.

Assuming I played this right I will probably refrain from this strategy in future sessions with new players. If they had more experience they probably could have seen this coming and done something about. This was actually only my third time playing the game and this wasn't my plan from the beginning; I just stumbled into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evazan21 wrote:
I had also upgraded my move ability so that I could move up to three units. When it came to my turn as a result of having all of my mechs abilities and three moves I was able to initiate 3 different combats all over the board. I won them all easily because my opponents barely had any power and the game was over. I ended up with more then double the points of anyone else.
You played it correctly. If the other players allow Saxony to build up its military forces unparalleled, their ability to "spam" Combat stars allows the Saxony player to dictate the pace of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the learning curve for Scythe is understanding that the game accelerates and that a 2-star or 3-star turn can easily, and unexpectedly, end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Stern wrote:
Part of the learning curve for Scythe is understanding that the game accelerates and that a 2-star or 3-star turn can easily, and unexpectedly, end the game.

Exactly this. I actually won a game yesterday by having back-to-back 2-star turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoogi Heureka
Germany
Flensburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
... especially if Saxony has 3 mechs, 3 movement and max power! Easily it would be to get another unexpected star bei an objective.. maybe something like occupying 3 forest territories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evazan
msg tools
Thanks for the clarification.

It seems like one of the hardest parts of this game, especially with 5 players, is keeping track of what your neighbors are doing. It is definitely not a multiplayer solitaire game which I find to be a positive.

What if anything should the other players have been doing to mitigate my strategy? My only thoughts are keep their mechs and characters away from me, keep workers with their mechs and characters, and make sure they had at least 7 power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Evazan21 wrote:

It seems like one of the hardest parts of this game, especially with 5 players, is keeping track of what your neighbors are doing. It is definitely not a multiplayer solitaire game which I find to be a positive.

What if anything should the other players have been doing to mitigate my strategy? My only thoughts are keep their mechs and characters away from me, keep workers with their mechs and characters, and make sure they had at least 7 power.

My first few games (3-player, with the same players), we were all hesitant to attack each other. That meant we could spread our units all over the board and not think too much about it. That changed as we got a little more familiar with the game (and combat specifically).

After a few games, we found that every player needs to think about whether they're making their units easy targets for attacks. This is the case even without Saxony in the mix, but it can be more important when Saxony is around.

Edit: In conclusion, the other players shouldn't have made themselves such easy targets.

Edit again: Another conclusion that I've decided on for my own play is that I won't attack first-time players, even (or especially) if it will give me an easy win. I might even wait for their second game to start pointing out when they're making themselves easy targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you'd have to be pretty deep into the game to have all 3 mechs, maxed power, and movement upgrade.

I have to agree with others that with more experience of players, this should happen less and less, or at least become much more difficult for you to achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evazan21 wrote:

Team up on your lone wolves with 2-3 combat units, sending them back home and possibly burning up some of your power in the prices.

Or they could keep their combat units bunched up defensively, with workers fanned out / buffering territories, since movement stops at any enemy unit.

Generally though, if nearly everyone goes full carebear, the aggressive player is going to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others, that's a good power move but it takes a bit to build up, your opponents should have seen it coming and prepared (such as preemptive strikes or doubling up mechs, 2 power cards vs 1 can be hard to beat)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C.
United States
Everett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Evazan21 wrote:

They should have been more aggressive towards you. You're not getting Stars, as Saxony, if you keep losing Combat. You're also not going to have the Power to deal with fighting 2-3 players, at the same time, so it seems like their cowardice basically let you dictate the game. Good for you.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yelmac wrote:
Evazan21 wrote:

They should have been more aggressive towards you. You're not getting Stars, as Saxony, if you keep losing Combat. You're also not going to have the Power to deal with fighting 2-3 players, at the same time, so it seems like their cowardice basically let you dictate the game. Good for you.
cool

Exactly. Yesterday in a 4 player game, Saxony attacked Rusviet (1 mech each on a tunnel) and won, as Saxony had more power and a better card. On my turn, since I had Anna/Wojtek and a meck on the tunnel outside of my starting region, I used that tunnel to go attack the lone Saxony mech. They were down to 3 power, so the most they could battle with would be 8. I had a 4 and a 5 combat card and used 0 power (since I was down to 2 anyway) and beat him 9 to 7. He didn't think I'd have that high of cards.

That slowed him down quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.