Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently trying to draft a buddy of mine into being my X-Wing adversary. He played the other night with a basic starter of one x-wing versus 2 ties and seemed to be enjoying himself but when he took a turn at the ties I could tell that multiple ships were making it more difficult for him to coordinate. I don't want to scare him away by flooding him too quickly with large squads. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a one ship on one ship fight? Should I consider introducing him to a Falcon versus Slave 1 battle or would a new player fair better with managing smaller ships? A versus Interceptor, B versus Tie-bomber, E versus Defender? Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with the core set a few more times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, are you suggesting that a single x-wing versus a single tie is the way to go or are you saying that he just needs to get use to guiding multiple ships?

So you understand I have been playing for some time and have a full stock of ships already. I'm not asking what to buy, I'm just trying to ease my friend into things while making it as interesting and thematic as possible with out overwhelming him. Looking for suggestions from other people who have tried to woo people into the game. Hence the one ship versus one ship idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could let him use the X-Wing. So he has one ship. That's how I've always introduced people to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have an interesting fight between Whisper with an Advanced Cloaking Device and Soontir where Whisper has initiative. Lots of opportunities to predict what your opponent will do.

Otherwise, go with asymmetry. How many TIEs can Fat Han handle? I'm pretty sure that Allen meant give him an X-Wing against two of your TIEs.

There are competitive two-ship builds once he is more used to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that. Alternatively, Han with Luke crew against some TIEs is a great game for big Star Wars fans. The first time his Luke shot kills a TIE you get to grumble "Great, kid, don't get cocky"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a good idea of using the Falcon against a tie swarm. Thematically I think it would appeal to him. The last time we played he was using Luke with R2 and was feeling like quite the hero of the rebellion when he blasted Howlrunner to stardust
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke with R2D2 has a strong advantage against TIEs at low point counts. There won't be enough concentrated fire to take him out early and then you get to the point where green dice plus R2D2 are enough to prevent further damage. (Ordnance is a good way to deal with regeneration. Two Headhunters with Proton Torpedoes and Guidance Chips cost the same as Luke with R2D2 and have good odds of a one-round kill if they can get TLs at the right range. If they don't kill Luke in the alpha strike, he will be at one hull and his best bet is to flee unpredictably so he can regenerate for a couple turns.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always match him up to the same ship. X-wing vs. X-wing, TIE vs. TIE.

Use the same pilots and upgrades on both sides so he can start to figure out how to outsmart you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cameron
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
.... Then when he starts to outsmart you, time to move onto a new game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.