Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an intriguing premise, but overall this doesn't seem a good way to go. If one can genetically engineer people to be more inclined towards democracy, one could also engineer them to be more accepting of authority.


http://nautil.us/blog/martian-colonists-could-be-genetically...


Ferret
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Fascinating in a theoretical sense. Horrifying if they actually try to implement this.

Good article, though. Nice find.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are ideas genetically based?

Could you genetically modified for being Pro-Brexit, or supporting euthenics?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Are ideas genetically based?

Could you genetically modified for being Pro-Brexit, or supporting euthenics?



The article seems light on that type of speculation, but reading it from a higher level I'd think they think you could be.


Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Are ideas genetically based?

Could you genetically modified for being Pro-Brexit, or supporting euthenics?
I think it would have to be a behavior that is social in nature. A set of genes that fosters cooperation is the same thing as "democracy". Across history, tribal groups that cooperated better ended up procreating better and defeating enemies better, so their is a genetic reinforcement for that. There would have to be existing codes to encourage discourage. According to the article, inheritable propensity for democratic cooperation, not authoritarian acquiescence I presume, has been shown to exist. They don't know what triggers what yet.

It is strange that the people in the article are down on it from the reproductive cycle angle, my understanding was that it is only a matter of time before gene drives can modify mature organisms on the fly, thereby eliminating the need to just modify embryos. Maybe they are downplaying the implications so knee-jerk anti-transhumanists don't start beating their anti-science drums.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
It will be a "Brave New World" for certain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk about something fraught with moral uncertainties...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Talk about something fraught with moral uncertainties...
Don't worry, there is a gene for that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
This is an intriguing premise, but overall this doesn't seem a good way to go. If one can genetically engineer people to be more inclined towards democracy, one could also engineer them to be more accepting of authority.


Those are already the same thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TheChin! wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Talk about something fraught with moral uncertainties...
Don't worry, there is a gene ap for that.

There, now it's right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
This is an intriguing premise, but overall this doesn't seem a good way to go. If one can genetically engineer people to be more inclined towards democracy, one could also engineer them to be more accepting of authority.


Those are already the same thing.




Um...what?



Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Are ideas genetically based?

Could you genetically modified for being Pro-Brexit, or supporting euthenics?
I think it would have to be a behavior that is social in nature. A set of genes that fosters cooperation is the same thing as "democracy". Across history, tribal groups that cooperated better ended up procreating better and defeating enemies better, so their is a genetic reinforcement for that. There would have to be existing codes to encourage discourage. According to the article, inheritable propensity for democratic cooperation, not authoritarian acquiescence I presume, has been shown to exist. They don't know what triggers what yet.

It is strange that the people in the article are down on it from the reproductive cycle angle, my understanding was that it is only a matter of time before gene drives can modify mature organisms on the fly, thereby eliminating the need to just modify embryos. Maybe they are downplaying the implications so knee-jerk anti-transhumanists don't start beating their anti-science drums.
You mean like the current situation in the USA, all that cooperation?

It seems to be that cooperation is not dependent on which system you use to select leaders.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
This is an intriguing premise, but overall this doesn't seem a good way to go. If one can genetically engineer people to be more inclined towards democracy, one could also engineer them to be more accepting of authority.


Those are already the same thing.


Um...what?

Ferret


Respecting the rule of law -- however it is imposed -- implies respecting authority. The method doesn't matter.

It may not spring to mind as we'll sometimes talk about democracy vs. authoritarianism, but they're really not all that different. If you have laws, they are an authority, and they have to be respected -- I'd be terribly surprised if there's a genetic difference between, say, following the rules of a representative democracy vs. following the rules of a semi-benevolent dictator.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
This is an intriguing premise, but overall this doesn't seem a good way to go. If one can genetically engineer people to be more inclined towards democracy, one could also engineer them to be more accepting of authority.


Those are already the same thing.


Um...what?

Ferret


Respecting the rule of law -- however it is imposed -- implies respecting authority. The method doesn't matter.

It may not spring to mind as we'll sometimes talk about democracy vs. authoritarianism, but they're really not all that different. If you have laws, they are an authority, and they have to be respected -- I'd be terribly surprised if there's a genetic difference between, say, following the rules of a representative democracy vs. following the rules of a semi-benevolent dictator.


Well, I allow as how that's an interesting political theory, definitely.

I can't say I agree, but there ya go.


Ferret
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait until I become a GMO and move to Mars, I totally promise I won't try and conquer the Earth to enslave the lowly unmodifieds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.