Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: How's the solo game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been agonizing over whether I should get this pretty much since it came out. What's it like solo? Are you competing against some kind of dummy players? Going for a high score? Is there some kind of time limit you're working within?

From what little I've been able to piece together, it sounds a bit like Runebound in a space ship, which sounds like a good time to me. Sometimes you want a quick, challenging game, and sometimes you just want an immersive, easy-going adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
I've been agonizing over whether I should get this pretty much since it came out. What's it like solo? Are you competing against some kind of dummy players? Going for a high score? Is there some kind of time limit you're working within?

From what little I've been able to piece together, it sounds a bit like Runebound in a space ship, which sounds like a good time to me. Sometimes you want a quick, challenging game, and sometimes you just want an immersive, easy-going adventure.

The Runebound comparison is an apt one. Firefly is very much an adventure game in space where crew building serves as the leveling mechanism.

The solo game runs on a timer of 20 turns, which is close to the average length of competitive games. Which means, in a way, you are racing against an "average" player to meet the goals.

If you enjoy the solo game in games like Runebound or Return of the Heroes, you will probably like the solo version of Firefly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times solo myself, and I enjoy it quite a bit. You are playing against a 20 turn timer, with some slightly altered rules for solo play.

I would definitely describe it as a quick, challenging game solo. I own Runebound as well, but haven't had an opportunity to play that yet, and so I can't compare it to Firefly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a solid solo game experience. I've never played Runebound either, but have played World of Warcraft: The Boardgame solo many times and it's a comparable [adventure] experience as Firefly. Though Firefly takes far less time to play than WOW.

The only hindrance to Firefly is the immense set up and tear down. If you don't mind that, or if you're able to leave it out for repeated plays, then definitely go for it. It's a lot of fun.

As for missing what the game itself has to offer when going solo, you won't miss much at all. The base game is really just multi-player solitaire anyway. The expansions introduce more player interaction, but there's plenty that will enhance the solo experience as well, should you go for expansions. But the expansions aren't necessary for a great solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
But the expansions aren't necessary for a great solo game.

Agreed, however the Blue Sun expansions adds two more Reaver ships and the Reaver/Alliance tokens which greatly increase the chance of interaction with the NPC ships. This makes it an ideal expansion for solo players!

You can read about my latest solo play (with Blue Sun) here:

Item for Geeklist "Solitaire Games on Your Table - July 2016"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, sounds like the sort of thing I'd probably enjoy, then. Is the setup time on par with something like Arkham Horror (just the base game)? I find that one pretty manageable to get out - not so much playing it, but getting it ready isn't too big of a chore. How's the play time? One hour? Two hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
Awesome, sounds like the sort of thing I'd probably enjoy, then. Is the setup time on par with something like Arkham Horror (just the base game)? I find that one pretty manageable to get out - not so much playing it, but getting it ready isn't too big of a chore. How's the play time? One hour? Two hours?

Set up, for me, is shorter than Arkham Horror, but keep in mind for AH I have:

Arkham Horror
Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion
Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion
Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion
Arkham Horror: The Black Goat of the Woods Expansion
Arkham Horror: The Lurker at the Threshold Expansion

Plus all but 5 of the investigator minis, acrylic gate stands, regular, blessed and cursed dice and other bling. It is a space hog!

As for play time, solo games of Firefly take me between 1hr 30min and 2hrs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
dbolyard wrote:
But the expansions aren't necessary for a great solo game.

Agreed, however the Blue Sun expansions adds two more Reaver ships and the Reaver/Alliance tokens which greatly increase the chance of interaction with the NPC ships. This makes it an ideal expansion for solo players!

You can read about my latest solo play (with Blue Sun) here:

Item for Geeklist "Solitaire Games on Your Table - July 2016"

While I agree that Blue Sun is probably the best expansion, mostly due to the increased Reaver presence; it should be noted that they do push the envelope of the solo rules by possibly locking players out of certain locations.

If Dave decides to pursue expansions, more details about some of the issues people have had playing Blue Sun solo can be found in this thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1356498/solo-game-mosey...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:

Arkham Horror

Plus all but 5 of the investigator minis, acrylic gate stands, regular, blessed and cursed dice and other bling. It is a space hog!

Most solo games for me take an hour or less plus 15-20 of combined set-up and tear-down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Arkham Horror

I think most things would set up quicker than that much Arkham Horror.

Sounds like it's pretty reasonable on time in all regards, then. I'm usually pretty obsessive about reducing setup time with deck boxes/Planos/bags/etc. (I'm dying color-coded tile bags for Glass Road at this very moment.)

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'll bump this up my to-buy list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:
davidbrit2 wrote:

Arkham Horror

Most solo games for me take an hour or less plus 15-20 of combined set-up and tear-down.

This is my experience also. Setup and tear-down are not bad, with about an hour playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the solo game, but after a while, I found it to be too short, too easy, and got tired of playing with only the one scenario.

Several people have written solo scenarios for Firefly, which you can find here on BGG in the forums and/or files section for the game.

Here are my contributions, so far:

My new solitaire story card is meant to provide a longer and interesting game for the solo player.
Beholden to Niska - Firefly Solitaire Story Card by Jude
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129108/beholden-niska-fir...

And this variant is intended to make the official solitaire game (or any other solitaire variant) more difficult to win, add more thematic flavor and adventure, and perhaps add some length to the game. Think of it as playing with a new captain who just bought a used ship and knows very little of the worlds in the system.
Jude's Solo House Rules for Firefly The Game
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129106/judes-solo-house-r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
I like the solo game, but after a while, I found it to be too short, too easy, and got tired of playing with only the one scenario.

Several people have written solo scenarios for Firefly, which you can find here on BGG in the forums and/or files section for the game.

Here are my contributions, so far:

My new solitaire story card is meant to provide a longer and interesting game for the solo player.
Beholden to Niska - Firefly Solitaire Story Card by Jude
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129108/beholden-niska-fir...

And this variant is intended to make the official solitaire game (or any other solitaire variant) more difficult to win, add more thematic flavor and adventure, and perhaps add some length to the game. Think of it as playing with a new captain who just bought a used ship and knows very little of the worlds in the system.
Jude's Solo House Rules for Firefly The Game
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129106/judes-solo-house-r...

Many of the standard story cards can be adapted for solo play as well. The best choices tend to be the stories with goals that require "Work" actions (as opposed to the "money grab" scenarios). Simply apply the turn limit and action restrictions from the solo story card, but use the objectives from story card that you want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were playing this solo I would probably just play multiple characters, like I do with Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have mentioned that my play time is using Jude's rules, which tend to extend the game a little bit.

As for the Reaver parking problem, I just consider it one of the challenges of such a dangerous foe!

As for moving the Reavers, if it is a "move a reaver one space" card I move the closest Reaver one space closer to me. If it is a card that moves the Reaver to my space, or an adjacent space, I move the furthest Reaver from me. This way I can go on to another job if a Reaver is parked on a planet and as I get further away, the likelihood of it moving off the planet increases. It also makes for a great challenge as it tends to cluster the Reavers near me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
If I were playing this solo I would probably just play multiple characters, like I do with Talisman.

There is a multiplayer co-op story card called Slay the Dragon created by a BGG user that would be great for playing multiple characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have mentioned that my play time is using Jude's rules, which tend to extend the game a little bit.

As for the Reaver parking problem, I just consider it one of the challenges of such a dangerous foe!

As for moving the Reavers, if it is a "move a reaver one space" card I move the closest Reaver one space closer to me. If it is a card that moves the Reaver to my space, or an adjacent space, I move the furthest Reaver from me. This way I can go on to another job if a Reaver is parked on a planet and as I get further away, the likelihood of it moving off the planet increases. It also makes for a great challenge as it tends to cluster the Reavers near me.

That's a good idea and keeps with the theme of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will agree with almost everything that's already been said in this thread.

Solo play is good, but represents a different experience than a multi-player game (but then, a 2-player game is also a very different experience from a 6-player game).

There are a lot of decks and shuffling can take a while, so set-up can take 15-20 minutes. I my games probably average an hour, but can take as long as an hour and a half (although that's usually when I'm watching TV). I can get in a game, including set-up, while watching 2 episodes of TV (fast-forwarding through commercials) in the background.

If you stick with only the single solo story card form the game, it gets very old pretty fast. However, as pointed out, many of the other story cards can be very easily used with the solo mechanism.

Judy and I (and others) have posted numerous threads in support of solo play in the Variants forum, but to me one of the simplest ways to extend the experience is to play "campaign-style" and string together a few story cards over time. It requires a little more tweaking, but it can be a lot of fun to watch your crew evolve and grow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, sounds like there's a lot of options for solo play, even with just what's in the box. Is there any expansion in particular that adds the most scenarios and content for going it alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The best cards for solo are the "story-oriented" story cards. I believe the core box offers two - Harken's Folly and King of All Londinium. A third, Niska's Holiday, originally came in the box but I think is now available only online.

Pirates and Bounty Hunters offers Jail Break, and Blue Sun gives us Patience's War.

BTW, all story cards are available online, so if you're getting a game just for the story card, you can print them out easily enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.