Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Do they get a treasure for you if they get a monster kill? Also, does their monster kills count towards the group xp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I vote yes to both, because they function just like a Hero in every other situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stallion12 wrote:
Do they get a treasure for you if they get a monster kill? Also, does their monster kills count towards the group xp?
Aren't Allies "controlled" by a specific Hero? If so then whatever the Ally does, the Hero benefits from. So this means the Hero gets the treasure (maybe?) and the XP goes into a party pool.

Okay, so there is a rule that you can only get one Treasure per Hero *turn*
Quote:
When your Hero defeats a Monster, draw a Treasure card (see
page 13). You can only draw one Treasure card per turn, no
matter how many Monsters you defeat during that turn.
so I would say that if your Hero defeats a monster and your Ally defeats a monster then you'd still only get one treasure. But if the Hero *doesn't* defeat a monster and the Ally does, then yeah, you get a treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies don't generate treasure. Monsters treat them as heroes for determining targeting priority, but they are not heroes.

Heroes draw treasure when they kill a monster, allies are not heroes, allies do not draw treasure.

Also important to note that heroes do not "control" allies. Those allies act during a particular hero's villian phase, in the same way that other AI cards do. I.e. A hero is responsible for carrying out the instructions on each AI card in their area during their villain phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted Smythe wrote:
I vote yes to both, because they function just like a Hero in every other situation.

Except for healing surges, equipment, choices about their actions, experience, gold and those level up tokens.

They aren't heroes, if I need to grab the rulebook, I'll get right on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
Stallion12 wrote:
Aren't Allies "controlled" by a specific Hero?

No.

Heroes, Allies, and Monsters are all separate types. Unless explicitly stated, an Ally does not do things Heroes can do.

EverywhereGames wrote:

Okay, so there is a rule that you can only get one Treasure per Hero *turn*
Quote:
page 13).

There's your answer. An Ally is not a Hero, also remember that Allies are not Controlled by Heroes, they are kept with their other AI cards and executed in order(I think some allies explicitly go before monsters.)

Since an Ally is not a hero, it does not generate treasure. I forget the wording on XP cards, and the ToEE rulebook is the only one I can't find, but it would work like this.

If the phrasing is, "when a hero kills monster, put monster card in XP." Then no, Allies don't generate XP either.

If however the phrasing is along the lines of, "when a monster is defeated, it's card is sent to the XP pile.", then Allies do generate XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stallion12 wrote:
Let's dial this back a bit.

What "Allies" are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Snort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
Stallion12 wrote:
Let's dial this back a bit.

What "Allies" are you talking about?

Having played all of these, it hadn't occurred to me to ask.

Aren't some of the villagers Allies? with AI cards of their own in TOEE?

In LOD, there's Snort, Gwenhyvar, Drizzt, Caitie-brie and Wulfgar.

In WOA there are the villagers which obey the rules later given for Allies. They may already be called allies in WOA, I just don't want to go into that shelf again.

In the Dungeon Command Heart of Cormyr, each of the heroes has a corresponding Ally card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Having played all of these, it hadn't occurred to me to ask.
Yeah, same here.

mournful wrote:
Aren't some of the villagers Allies? with AI cards of their own in TOEE?
If these are the ones being discussed then this whole discussion is moot because those are not "allies", they are mindless monster fodder that must be protected. They do not attack, they do not kill monsters, they do not earn XP.

mournful wrote:
In the Dungeon Command Heart of Cormyr, each of the heroes has a corresponding Ally card.
These are the allies I assumed were being talked about. I haven't played with them yet so I assumed they are much more Hero-like and in fact *can* attack monsters. Otherwise, why ask the question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Also important to note that heroes do not "control" allies. Those allies act during a particular hero's villan phase, in the same way that other AI cards do. I.e. A hero is responsible for carrying out the instructions on each AI card in their area during their villain phase.
Villagers (whether Allies or not) are "controlled" by the Players/Heroes in the same way that the monsters are, by following the AI. It is important to note that we are using the same language, but applying completely different meanings to some of the words.

This is also not the forum for discussing whether Players are Heroes or Heroes are Players, despite the terms being used interchangeably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
So would the ally gain xp for the group?

Thank you guys for answering about the treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stallion12 wrote:
You mean if the Heroes kill the Allies? Dunno. Is there an XP amount listed on the Ally card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stallion12 wrote:

Thank you guys for answering about the treasure.

Welcome

I don't have the rulebook in front of me so I don't have the exact words in front of me, but I'm fairly certain that if a monster dies at all, it goes to the XP pile, regardless of who killed it.

Alan, do you remember otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
No, if the ally kills a monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
It is important to note that we are using the same language, but applying completely different meanings to some of the words.

I'm just trying to use the game terminology. If it uses the term control, then I should have been using that term instead.

EverywhereGames wrote:

This is also not the forum for discussing whether Players are Heroes or Heroes are Players, despite the terms being used interchangeably.

Correct. This is not that forum. Are people arguing about that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:

mournful wrote:
These are the allies I assumed were being talked about. I haven't played with them yet so I assumed they are much more Hero-like and in fact *can* attack monsters. Otherwise, why ask the question?

Allies are Introduced in Legend of Drizzt. They behave the same way as the ones included in Heart of Cormyr.

Both the allies in Legend of Drizzt and Heart of Cormyr, can attack monsters. Hence the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
I don't have the rulebook in front of me
http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ToEE_Rule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Alan, do you remember otherwise?
I shoulda quoted more of the section form page 10
Quote:
Defeating Monsters

If a Monster’s Hit Points are reduced to 0, the Monster is
defeated. Remove its figure from the tile. The player controlling
that Monster discards the Monster card into the Experience
pile (see page 12). If more than one Hero controls that type of
Monster, the player who made the attack discards the card if
he or she controls one of those Monsters. If not, go clockwise
around the table. The first player you reach who controls one of
those Monsters discards that Monster card.

page 13). You can only draw one Treasure card per turn, no
matter how many Monsters you defeat during that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
I'm just trying to use the game terminology. If it uses the term control, then I should have been using that term instead.
Note that in the above quote it does refer to Heroes controlling Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks guys, that clears it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.