Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
64 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What game are you embarrassed about that you own and still have on your shelf? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quelf is my obvious. I don't know why it sat so proudly in my collection for all to see. It was a gift from a fellow gamer that had such a good experience with another group, they felt it would do great in ours.

Nope.

So do you guys have a game that for some reason is on your shelf that you cringe at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a 40-something single man with no children. I own a copy of Candy Land, which I purchased myself.

Hoping this gives

Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

a laugh, since he knows why I purchased it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly: Norwich Edition

A gift from my loving but misguided parents the Christmas after I graduated from UEA (the Univeristy of East Anglia, which is based in Norwich).

I opened it once to gaze upon the full glory of the board, replete with corporate sponsorship and a square for the bus station. I think I looted the 2d6 from it in a dice emergency. Otherwise it remains stolidly taking up room on my shelf. It may never get played, but on the shelf it shall remain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a handful that I bought with the intent of selling. It burns to see the failures of the old stupid me.
Other than that I don't mind showing off crappy games as I can usually make a case as to why I still have it with a good enough reason I can shrug it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take them off my shelf. Put them in a box away from the fun. Sometimes I bring them out at a game night to be played and with a price tag on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traig Born
United States
Ward
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friends
A gift from my wife. Well actually she's my exwife now so I guess I can get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa. First thing I backed on Kickstarter, basically for a lark.

After it took a good year+ to get it, the amusement wore off.

It's an acceptable deckbuilder, just takes too long to play. And of course I'm not going to randomly haul it out in front of random folks.

I have Arctic Scavengers now, as my primary deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawn Gnome
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross Hares: Testing Ground Very first KS. Man this games blows!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
I'm a 40-something single man with no children. I own a copy of Candy Land, which I purchased myself.

Still a better game than Agricola.

devil

On my shelf? Smallworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seinfeld: Trivia Game-purchased by my wife as a gift with the best intentions (he is a gamer and likes Seinfeld).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
PURGE: Sins of Science. I refuse to inflict it upon any other innocent gamers by trading it away or selling it, so it will stay on my shelf forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Little Pony CCG - just the theme, and the stigma that it brings, the gameplay is solid and quite interesting

Munchkin Deluxe - just keep it around because I know some people who LOVE it and it makes a decent gateway for newbies (who I then play better games with and show them just why they should actually HATE Munchkin)

I also own Barbarossa and Tanto Cuore - good little games, but yeah, I only take them out with certain people due to the anime artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess A
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My multiple copies of Monopoly. Which I will never play. But I can't resist a Star Wars game (orig trig only, I turfed the Ep 1 version).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Silver
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Doctor Who: Battle to Save the Universe

Bought it for my daughter, an avid Doctor Who fan, But OMG, what a mind-numbing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Soper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildshot wrote:
Friends
A gift from my wife. Well actually she's my exwife now so I guess I can get rid of it.

I'd encourage it. Much like books or other media, I find getting rid of board games that have a strong connection to a past relationship to be cathartic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Urban Legends: The Game, but I can't even sell it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:
My Little Pony CCG - just the theme, and the stigma that it brings, the gameplay is solid and quite interesting

Munchkin Deluxe - just keep it around because I know some people who LOVE it and it makes a decent gateway for newbies (who I then play better games with and show them just why they should actually HATE Munchkin)

I also own Barbarossa and Tanto Cuore - good little games, but yeah, I only take them out with certain people due to the anime artwork.

My Little Pony AND Tanto Cuore? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:

Avatar the Last Airbender and Legends of Korra are some of my favourite series'. My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies are excellent films. Why would anyone have a problem with anime artwork?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not on my shelf...it's hidden in a cabinet, but...

Pete (keeps it because of its sheer awfulness)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
One Overtext To Rule Them All
badge
One Overtext To Rule Them All
mbmbmbmbmb
the game is embarrassing because it's not fun but actually kinda awesome because of how ridiculous it is: Lie, Cheat & Steal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Avatar the Last Airbender and Legends of Korra are some of my favourite series'. My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies are excellent films. Why would anyone have a problem with anime artwork?

OH BOY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Negative. They all have their place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
benevolentweasl wrote:

The cards in Tanto Cuore are maids in skimpy clothing. Imagine scantily clad anime French maids. Not for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Big Bang Theory: Fact or Fiction Game - bought it for my son because he was a huge fan back then.. played it once, its not all that much fun... (edit)

Poo: The Card Game - was on travel for work, and found a pretty cool game store. The owner recommended it to me. ughh... I haven't been able sell it or trade it! But I keep entering it into Math Trades..

Crazy-Cups - it looked so cool in the infomercial.. I bought the deluxe set, with both metal and plastic cups and the competition timer!! played it twice and realized I'll never be able to get any better at it and it really wasn't all that fun anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:

The cards in Tanto Cuore are maids in skimpy clothing. Imagine scantily clad anime French maids. Not for everyone.

You're right, That anime bit is throwing me off. Just not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.