10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Varnishing/lacquering map tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keoki Young
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have experience with this? What varnish/lacquer would you recommend? Any tips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to just create the maps to be printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Horn
United States
Rush
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My biggest concern with doing this would be that the lacquer would fill in the edges of the tiles and they wouldn't fit together anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experiences with X-Wing maneuver dials, the cardboard center absorbs a lot of lacquer, so you would need a lot of coats to affect the outside dimensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Bowne
msg tools
I'm getting ready to try varnishing my map tiles too. I got some spar varnish at the hardware store and have been applying coats to the cardboard elements of a lesser played game in my collection. I'm trying to do about 3 coats on either side. The residue is still sticky after drying, but that seems to go away after a few days.

The only problem I've had is the paintbrush I'm using is pretty well solidified by now, so it is harder to get an even coat. Anyone have tips on how to keep it flexible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R Dibny wrote:
I'm getting ready to try varnishing my map tiles too. I got some spar varnish at the hardware store and have been applying coats to the cardboard elements of a lesser played game in my collection. I'm trying to do about 3 coats on either side. The residue is still sticky after drying, but that seems to go away after a few days.

The only problem I've had is the paintbrush I'm using is pretty well solidified by now, so it is harder to get an even coat. Anyone have tips on how to keep it flexible?

Didn't you clean it ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried spray varnish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My tiles are ok after dozens of games, but I backhand people when they drag the minis across the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wear & tear comes not from in-game but rather from shuffling/sorting the tiles to find the right one to place

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been keeping mine in ziplock bags of 10 per bag in numerical order, I might transition to CD sleeves at some point. So far they look ok, but I might try varnishing if I can find good pictures/walkthroughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.