Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm hoping to have my rule book solid solid by this weekend and ship a copy of my game to my brother to blind play test with his group. I don't know anyone of his friends, just him because he is my brother. I have a few questions.

1. What should I expect out of my brother and other GM's? What data should he take down, if any? Should I send him a digital copy of the rules so he can mark it up and let me know what's wrong? How many play tests should I expect out of a GM? My game consists of something like 150 standard playing cards so I will be shipping them to GM's but if I only get a few play test's out of them I'm not really getting enough data to warrant it.

2. How much feed back should I expect from the playtesters? I have a few questions and it's not a complex game so I feel like I'll be looking at the overall feeling of the game. Also there are a few Action and Mission cards that could be added that I possibility haven't thought of.

3. How many copies should I send out? Should I only send out to friends in other cities or should I trust some strangers?

4. If the feedback is good, IE people really like the game, what information should the GM's collect from the players? You know for like promoting for potential Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind testing is always difficult for a number of reasons. I think it would be reasonable to expect at least one solid full length play through of your game.

I would expect the following basic information:
> Number of players
> Time to learn/play the game
> A list of what they liked/disliked about the game

If your play testers were really cool, they may provide a bit more:
> Turn by turn breakdown of time
> A more detailed feedback form per player (UnPub.net has a pretty good one that you can download, http://unpub.dreamhosters.com/feedback/)

And if your testers are truely amazing, they may provide full video of the play session and very detailed notes to boot. (I've done this once for a fellow designer here at BGG)

On that note are you willing to trade? I'll blind test yours if you blind test mine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, blind testing is really scattershot and it's hard to predict what you'll get. Some people won't even play the game, some will play but not comment, some will comment and actually give good suggestions. You kind of need to wait and see, as what you're able to get out of the group just depends so much on the way the group reacts to the game and whether they're interested in it enough to want to provide feedback and/or repeat plays.

One thing that you should absolutely suggest is that they simply videotape their post mortem discussion. I started a thread suggesting this after having had a really positive experience with some playtesters who did this for one of my games. It's easy for them to do and can be incredibly informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback the both of yall and thanks for the references.

My hope is that I can create a network of Blind play testing groups over a bit of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.