Popular Tags: [View All]
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...tough call.

I would have easily said "Realms Unraveled, without a doubt", but if you're looking for a challenge (or you just like taking a beating) and your personal variant involves the AI playing card effects, then Rally could swing either grossly in your favor or horrendously against it.

Honestly, I'd still probably say Realms Unraveled. The Multi-Unite and Transform mechanics will probably provide good opportunities for tactical decision-making while still not being too swing-y. Multi-Unite might seem crazy-powerful at times, but at least it wouldn't necessarily always be giving more free cards to the AI...in this case, of course, I'm talking about DoC's Champion cards with the Reputation tokens/Rally effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deeth82 wrote:
Hmmm...tough call.

I would have easily said "Realms Unraveled, without a doubt", but if you're looking for a challenge (or you just like taking a beating) and your personal variant involves the AI playing card effects, then Rally could swing either grossly in your favor or horrendously against it.

Honestly, I'd still probably say Realms Unraveled. The Multi-Unite and Transform mechanics will probably provide good opportunities for tactical decision-making while still not being too swing-y. Multi-Unite might seem crazy-powerful at times, but at least it wouldn't necessarily always be giving more free cards to the AI...in this case, of course, I'm talking about DoC's Champion cards with the Reputation tokens/Rally effects.
Huh... to me, certain "offending cards" (with Multi-Unite, or MU) in RU are grossly over powered that I absolutely make sure that if I can't get them, then no1 else will. Adayu The Serene, the l/h that MU into top decking more heroes, and the Dartha card at 7/5 e/h that MU into getting/defeating more free cards. Those have lead into power creeps where a player cleans out 1/3 to 2/3 the Portal deck (for RU only... not adding additional cards from other sets) in just one turn.

I don't know if this power creep equates to the same situation in solo mode, but it seems like it's there. Then again, I wouldn't feel as bad doing this to "the game", vs. other players who just twiddle their thumbs for 15 to 45 minutes while you're figuring out how to play the rest of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was definitely thinking of it in terms of solo play, but honestly if the OP leaves out the Champion cards/reputation token aspects, DoC would be a pretty solid add-in. I love them all; even RoV+DU...I couldn't imagine losing any of these games from my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My two favorite Ascension solo sets:

#1: Dreamscape
#2: Realms Unraveled + Dawn of Champions combined

Played Ascension X solo tonight and "Meh". Too much book keeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.