Old School Tactical» Forums » General

Subject: Map Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul O'Dette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
OK, love the game, love the Map detail but..

Here's my concern. The Maps are just 'hard to use'. When playing on our table, for scenarios that use a small portion of the map, it is a real challenge for both players to see and use. Reaching over, seeing them from a distance, getting the map smudged (despite trying to wash hands often) by constantly leaning on it, possibly denting it etc.. Long reach to move points markers, easily bumped by 'reaching' across the board to use (the new fan driven play aid helps but think of the extra map that could have been there without that thick edge).

So, yes, the maps are huge and beautiful but unless you play a full map game, they are a challenge to use. With limited re-playability over he long haul.

Though OST is trying hard to be different, I would much prefer a geo-map approach in the future (viewing these as more of 'historical' maps). I've begun looking at options such as using CoH maps or BoB maps (or even enlarged ASL maps) and figure out a way to adopt the scenarios rather than leaning over the giant map (not to mention the map edge markers easily getting bumped out of place).

So there it is. Hard as it was for me to share this about this great game, I felt it should be out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't have the same problem with the map size to be honest. Nobody in my group had an issue with having to lean over to move units. I do understand your point of view, though and geometric boards would be a nice addition to the system......

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yet while exulting in solitude I became aware of a strange lack. I wished a companion to lie near in the starlight, silent, unmoving, but within touch. For there's fellowship more quiet than solitude, and rightly understood is solitude made perfect.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean. With some scenarios that use a small corner of the map, an opponent and yourself can sit at the corner of a table and play. This makes klkitchens' offboard tracking chart useful for FtF play as well as solo games. I think it is a must to have on hand.

Still, like you, I have a hard time suggesting a change in the map - it is such a thing of beauty! In fact, I CANNOT let myself suggest a change! And for very large scenarios, well...the whole system really shines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atila The Hun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Here what I have done. I bought some clear plastic sheet from B&Q here in the uk, to cover the entire board. Then I made some 90 degree right angles out of plasticard. Each one is about 3 inches either side of the corner. I then use blue tack under it to stick it to the clear plastic sheet. Hey presto you can see the areas much clearer and your not damaging the board.

The best part of the game in my opinion is the seperate example booklet. This makes the rules so much clearer. As I posted on the Kickstarter I do think this should be available to down load for all players. After all we get the extra luck cards and the dice(when they land) so I'm happy for none kickstarters to get it too.
This will help bring more people to play the game and perhaps buy the next expansion etc. But it's a good game. I'm only playing solo at the moment whilst I get all the rules down. Then I will umpire whilst two of mates play. I still have the extra copy too. But I'm thinking I might sell that to help fund other projects, but we will see.
Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose that's the big plus of the PnP version of the game..ive printed both maps off on A4 card and just joined them up in fours [4x4=16] so easy to use them

plus nothing to stop you using other boards..IE: conflict of heroes and others...assuming you have the games of course!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
podette wrote:
So there it is. Hard as it was for me to share this about this great game, I felt it should be out there.

I definitely feel the same way though also agree that it is very nice, if not so practical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Farrell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the maps. They are a little bigger than the card table I've been playing on but my wife won't let me use the dining room table for the several nights it takes me to play a solo scenario. So far it hasn't been a problem but my cat was eyeballing it like he was going to jump up there. If he catches that overhang there will be cardboard soldiers all over the place. I like using only part of the map. I use the other parts to arrange the cards, admin counters, etc. so they are easily viewed during play. I also use a folding TV tray for the rules so they are handy but not in the way. I'm really loving this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
podette wrote:
OK, love the game, love the Map detail but..

Here's my concern. The Maps are just 'hard to use'. When playing on our table, for scenarios that use a small portion of the map, it is a real challenge for both players to see and use. Reaching over, seeing them from a distance, getting the map smudged (despite trying to wash hands often) by constantly leaning on it, possibly denting it etc.. Long reach to move points markers, easily bumped by 'reaching' across the board to use (the new fan driven play aid helps but think of the extra map that could have been there without that thick edge).

So, yes, the maps are huge and beautiful but unless you play a full map game, they are a challenge to use. With limited re-playability over he long haul.

Though OST is trying hard to be different, I would much prefer a geo-map approach in the future (viewing these as more of 'historical' maps). I've begun looking at options such as using CoH maps or BoB maps (or even enlarged ASL maps) and figure out a way to adopt the scenarios rather than leaning over the giant map (not to mention the map edge markers easily getting bumped out of place).

I understand what you're saying Paul.
This is the first one out and I'm sure things are going to happen as we move along.

Glad you're enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Dette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thank you Jamm and not to twist the knife too deeply but I find the landscape scenario printout awkward to work with as well. Fine touches I realize but looking forward to your latest. An exciting game, fast, easy to learn, I really do appreciate your work and effort and it's so much easier to share opinion than to build a game... thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Tide of Iron maps ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bing
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
a thousand words are better
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plexi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter for OST Vol 2 West Front goes live today at noon EDT. One of it's stretch goals will be a neoprene play mat, that lets you track everything. Hence, you can just fold the bigger map up when only using a small portion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Dette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.