Hide
9 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarification for spells rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan richard
msg tools
So i've stumbled upon a card that confused me. What i want to know is when are spells played?

Take whirlwind for exemple, it states that the target monster cannot attack this turn, but it has the combat icon, so the way i understand it is that spells are played when it is your turn to attack (after the monster attacked) Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat spells are played in combat. As to when, it depends on the spell and what phase of combat it happens in. In your example, you'd cast it during the Assign Damage/Block phase since that is when the enemy would normally attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
combat is not only when you attack, but all 4 phases of combat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan richard
msg tools
So the game leaves it to us to judge when it should be cast unless specifically stated in the card's description?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domaphir wrote:
So the game leaves it to us to judge when it should be cast unless specifically stated in the card's description?

Just cast it during combat, but at least by the time it would be used. Why would you cast it after the enemy already attacks?

Why does this matter? Can you explain why you're asking? If you're trying to avoid getting Knocked Out, then you can cast it at the beginning of combat if you want.

Quote:
...the way i understand it is that spells are played when it is your turn to attack (after the monster attacked) Is this right?

This is not correct. Yes, some spells specifically say they take effect during, say, the Attack phase. But certainly not all spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mb
Some spells states "in the attack phase" (like tornado, disintegrate).
An easy mistake is to cast them before, in the range and siege attack phase.

Also note that if you happen to play PvP, you should cast whirlwind after your opponent has spent its unit (during your block). You will then subtract from the incoming attack the contribution of that unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan richard
msg tools
I'm confused because usually if something is divided in phases, everything happens during specific phases.

Like how ranged attacks happen during the ranged attack phase.

I'm an old MTG player, and the way i'm used to playing, everything can happen during a specific step. I just found nothing in the rules that stated when a spell should be played.

So basicly, unless specified otherwise, a spell can be played at any point during a combat. That specific line should have been written somwhere in the rules (then again i may have missed it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Just so you know, you can play ranged and siege attacks in the 'melee' attack phase. If you have access to 'ranged attack 3' and 'attack 2' you can play them for attack 5 if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For purposes of timing, spells are Deed cards just like, say, your basic action cards. Exactly when they are played depends on the spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.