The Grizzled» Forums » General

Subject: The Grizzled - Is there strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My group really loved Hanabi. We like the fact that its hard to score 25 points ( perfect game ) we made it 1 time.

We like the deduction thing of it, where you count card and try to deduct what card are in your hands and what is the optimal move, play or give a clue.

Now, i never played The Grizzle, im trying to make my mind on buying it or not.

What is the strategy line in this game? Is it possible to deduct to some level what your brothers of arm hold in their hands? Or is it a total randomness thing?

I heard people complaining about luck/push your luck. I believe there is a fair amount of luck as well in Hanabi with the orders the cards enter the game, so should not be a major issue since we love Hanabi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schedel
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The Grizzled has a little bit of strategy, but not as much as Hanabi. Although knowing what your teammates' cards are is a key aspect of the game, attention is usually more drawn from what cards are actually in play. Either way, the Grizzled is a great game.

(If your group loves Hanabi, I would highly recommend Love Letter. it is far easier to learn and can play with close to the same amount of people as Hanabi. It's another card deduction game.)

All in all, I would recommend both. Hopefully you found this post helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to check that game's forum, it's been discussed more than once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
Might want to check that game's forum, it's been discussed more than once

+1, though I will say that I don't find The Grizzled to have much strategy to it personally. The times I've played it, I've felt much less like my decisions affected the outcome than with most other cooperative games.

If your group really likes Hanabi, you might also want to check out Abraca...what?. It has the same mechanic of "you can see everyone's cards except your own", but it is competitive instead of cooperative. You have to deduce which spells you have available to cast based on the spells you can see in everyone else's hands and how many of each spell exists total. The different special powers of the spells keep things a bit more varied than Hanabi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackschedel wrote:
(If your group loves Hanabi, I would highly recommend Love Letter. it is far easier to learn and can play with close to the same amount of people as Hanabi. It's another card deduction game.)

+1 to that, though I think the Lost Legacy games have bit more going on than the Love Letter ones so may be more interesting (and are also much better at 2 players which is a very weak count for Love Letter).

Though if you do play 2-players then for a related mix of a co-op card game with deduction element and information sharing limit, but which overall plays very differently, take a look at The Ravens of Thri Sahashri.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately i searched in the grizzled forums and didn't found any constructive comments comparing the 2 games.

I'm looking for something slightly different than Hanabi, I see no reason to buy a clone of it

I rated Hanabi a 10, if the Grizzle for me is a 8+ I would not hesitate as long as the game feel enough different to buy it. Unfortunately I can't play test it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also want to take a look at the expansion, The Grizzled: At Your Orders!, which just came out recently. I just got it myself the other day, so I haven't really had a chance to get into it, but it introduces "missions" that change the dynamic a little bit and add varying levels of complexity. Perhaps these will beef up the strategic/tactical thinking a little more to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the strategy in The Grizzled is not figuring out what other people have, but in deciding when to withdraw. New players tend to lose the game more because they don't want to withdraw before playing all of their cards. Deciding when to do so is a significant decision. I think if you minimize table talk, it adds to the strategy as well, because you have to read the situation.

As mentioned, the expansion adds some more decisions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game essentially devoid of strategy and sold it after a few unsuccessful attempts to determine why the game has devoted fans. I'd strongly recommend trying it before you buy it, as the similarities to Hanabi are not as strong as you might initially suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.