7 Posts

Hanabi» Forums » General

Subject: Would I like The Grizzled? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who loves Hanabi like me (rated it a 10) and played a fair amount of The Grizzled.

Will I like The Grizzled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you would like it. It's worth saying though that The Grizzled is a tough topic compared to Hanabi. You won't likely get as many laughs but the gameplay is simple and tense.

Adding the expansion to get the mission cards can offer a nice element as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite fond of both, they scratch some of the same itch for co-op fun. Both of them can be stretched if you're not particularly careful of following restrictions on communication. I find Grizzled is probably more difficult, because of balancing the mission success versus the cards running out on you. When I play Hanabi, we usually are fairly lax and just play for the best score possible. Grizzled would be best compared to the style of Hanabi where you play for perfect or nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I've probably played over 200 games of Hanabi. Maybe over 400? So some of my friends and I got good at the game. So perhaps this comparison won't be fair. But, that said, the game seemed a lot easier. Playing with two hardcore Hanabi players (one of whom had 2 games of experience, and I had 0) and 3 non-hardcore Hanabi players (who probably had 10 games of experience), it was close, but we lost - when one of the non-hardcore Hanabi players went home, we won the 4er game. I'm pretty sure that with more experience/better play we win the 5er games as well.

So ya. Personally, I want my co-op games to be harder than Grizzled. If you want an introduction to Hanabi, Grizzled may be it.. but going to it from Hanabi felt like it didn't have the depth. But I also know nothing about the expansion, maybe that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The At Your Orders expansion for The Grizzled adds some potential difficulty to the missions. I personally love Hanabi and The Grizzled in equally different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
I think that you would like it. It's worth saying though that The Grizzled is a tough topic compared to Hanabi. You won't likely get as many laughs but the gameplay is simple and tense.

Adding the expansion to get the mission cards can offer a nice element as well.

At the very least, The Grizzled does make for a 'poor' opening game because of how it can get at times. I do enjoy both games, honestly, but I haven't seen my FLGS carry The Grizzled since I played it and Hanabi only hit the table once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robb wrote:
So ya. Personally, I want my co-op games to be harder than Grizzled.
It's pretty easy to adjust the difficulty level of Hanabi, as the rulebook lays out. How well does the difficulty of The Grizzled vary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.