Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To those who've played this game with two players, preferably more than once - what is the two player experience like as it relates to having to hurt your opponent to win? Specifically, is there a lot of it and is it necessary? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
LJplays wrote:
To those who've played this game with two players, preferably more than once - what is the two player experience like as it relates to having to hurt your opponent to win? Specifically, is there a lot of it and is it necessary? Thanks.

We just got this game last Friday and have played it about 6 times with 2-players. There is a lot of "Take That" in this game but it is also a vital part of the strategy of the game. If my opponent has a boat loaded with 3 stones and it is my turn, I am certainly going to sail that boat to one of the places that gives my opponent the fewest points. I knew there was no way I was going to win the tallest Obelisk Race, so every chance I got I would send my opponents boat there. She gets no points for making her Obelisk any bigger and I do not have to worry about her sending my boat there since it is already taken for that round.

This is not a game to play "NICE" and expect to win

Very fun little brain burner that plays very fast with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
LJplays wrote:

I wouldn't call the interaction "take that." The interaction in Imhotep is more subtle than "take that," but you are always thinking about your actions in terms of how they will most benefit you and most disadvantage your opponent. The ships that sail to the various ports are common, so you don't own a ship just because you put your cubes on it. Your opponent can put his cubes on the ship and can sail the ship to a port to which you don't want to go. However, all ports lead to points, so it's not like your opponent is completely screwing you over at any point in the game. At the very least, you're never going to LOSE points you have already accumulated; you just might not get your cubes to go exactly where you want them to go.

Ultimately, yes, you are always thinking about edging out your opponent with every action you take, but you're not HURTING your opponent per se...more like re-directing their efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to play my first game tonight, with two players. I was wondering about this and I appreciate the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's plenty of back-and-forth thwarting of plans but the clean and focused design and simplicity of components gives these actions a kind of abstracted feel, more pawn takes pawn than "take that", you know? It doesn't feel mean or chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the 2 player game has more take that than a 4 player game.

There's going to be more turns where you want to place a cube but have to move a ship that your opponent has cubes and you don't just to prevent them from a big turn.

With 4p you have 2 other people who will get a turn before it gets back to that person so there's always a chance that someone else will screw with that player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.