Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Giga-Robo!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Gigagricola: The Official (Unofficial) Agricola-Giga-Robo! Crossover Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Central Europe, around 1670 AD. The Plague which has raged since 1348 has finally been overcome. The civilized world is revitalized. People are upgrading and renovating their huts. Fields must be plowed, tilled and harvested. The famine of the previous years has encouraged people to eat more meat (a habit that we continue to this day).

Also, every family owns a giant robot, and every six years they have a giant robot fight festival.

Rule Changes:

Setup:

1. At the start of a game of Agricola, give each player a randomly determined Giga-Robo! robot and pilot board.

2. Each player should then shuffle and set the following face down near their farm board:

• Their robot’s 6 unique abilities
• Their robot’s 30 unique attack cards
• Their robot’s 3 unique special attack cards
• Their pilot’s 3 unique ability cards
• Their pilot’s 10 unique attack cards

3. Each player places their robot miniature on a 2x2 grid of empty spaces on their farm.

Gameplay:

1. Taking Actions: If your robot is on your farm, when placing a family member on an action space, you may also place your robot on that action space to take a “robo-action."

- If the action gives you a resource, take 1 additional resource of that type (a giant robot can carry more stuff).

- If the action allows you to plow a field, you may plow 1 additional field (a giant robot can pull a plow farther).

- If the action allows you to build rooms, fences, or renovate your home, you may return the family member (not the robot miniature) to your home to be used again that round(a giant robot makes big construction projects much easier). The action space is still considered occupied.

2. End of the Round: At the end of the round, when returning family members to your home, return the robot miniature to a 2x2 grid of spaces in your farm. Remove all rooms, fields, stables, fences and animals from that grid, and return them to the supply. (Always leave a space to park your robot).

3. Harvest Phase: After the breeding phase, each player takes a "Giant Robot" phase, which consists of three steps.

a) Experience: Draw 1 pilot attack card and 3 robot attack cards from your pilot and robot decks. (This represents the natural experience and skill a robot pilot gains over time).

b) Training: You may spend 2 food to do one of the following:
- Draw 1 pilot ability card
- Draw 1 robot special attack
- Search through your robot and/or pilot attack decks for 1 attack card, and take it. Shuffle the remaining cards and place them face down.

c) Upgrades: You may spend 2 building materials (reed/wood/clay/stone) to draw 1 robot ability.

4. Game End: At the end of the game, determine points as usual. Farm spaces occupied by a giant robot do not count as empty spaces.

Then, after totaling points but BEFORE declaring a winner, the farmers celebrate the giant robot fight festival.

Setup and play a standard game of Giga-Robo!, which the following exceptions:

a) Each player must use the robot/pilot combination they already have.
b) Players may only select their starting abilities/hand from the robot abilities, pilot abilities and attack cards they earned during the rounds of Agricola. (That means if a player has not collected a pilot ability, or at least 3 robot abilities, that player will play without them).

If a player is knocked out during the robot fight, that player loses a number of points equal to the remaining players (so, in a 4-player game, the first player knocked out would lose 3 points).

The last player standing GAINS point equal to his robot’s remaining armor.

Compare points. The player with the most points is the winner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play this in the worst way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
No way, my idea became a thing! I'm both touched and amused. Now all we need is farmhand variant cards for the pilots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
A WHOLE LOTTA BEAUTIFUL, RIDICULOUS AWESOMENESS

I am glad to call you friend, friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jeneki
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my gaming group, it would be more like this: "Each family is now tired of putting up with their neighbor's crap, and pushes the big red button with a NUKE symbol, located in their house. This puts the robots go into combat mode and, well, the farms have seen better days ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this change much playing with Agricola: Farmers of the Moor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with Farmers of the Moor. I totally forgot what was in that expansion versus the base game. That introduced horses, heating your house and clearing the land right? You'd think a giant robot would be useful in clearing your land of moors and forests. Rip those trees up with your giant robot hands! Burn that moor up with Chogoking's sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

I hadn't intended to include Farmers of the Moor, but you could probably do it. Good question--I'll think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
corkysru wrote:

I hadn't intended to include Farmers of the Moor, but you could probably do it. Good question--I'll think about it.

Yeah.. I never play agricola with out it honestly. haha. I have actually NEVER played with out it. I learned with farmers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Burn that moor up with Chogoking's sword.

robotrobotrobot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, where's the link to the list of ability and attack cards? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Ocean Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Robots give significant benefits to normal actions, and take up four spots on the board, I imagine you'll run out of stuff to do by the end of the Agricola game. Maybe shorten the game by a couple of turns by revealing two (Agricola) action cards at the beginning of rounds 1 and 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:
Since the Robots give significant benefits to normal actions, and take up four spots on the board, I imagine you'll run out of stuff to do by the end of the Agricola game. Maybe shorten the game by a couple of turns by revealing two (Agricola) action cards at the beginning of rounds 1 and 2?

I definitely agree that there's a significant benefit to normal actions, but the game is also effectively levying a 2-food/2-building material tax each harvest, which will balance things out a bit (unless you choose NOT to level up your pilot/robot, which is some kinda crazy).

But I also agree the "robots take up four board spots" element is big--originally, I had the robot taking up 1 spot, until I realized the Giga-Robo miniatures are simply too big.

For now, I'd like to playtest it, and see what happens, but it's a helpful observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha, I completely missed this thread (only subscribed to the General forum). Awesome stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.