10 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Who makes the minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a board game, these are great minis. Who makes them for CMoN? A manufacturer in China, I am sure. I would buy another game from this factory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:
For a board game, these are great minis. Who makes them for CMoN? A manufacturer in China, I am sure. I would buy another game from this factory.

CMON does a lot of miniature-heavy games, so they have worked hard to get the best source they can for affordable high-quality miniatures. They aren't "hobby" level (like Games Workshop, for example), but they are probably better than almost any other board game manufacturer.

Part of this is simply their experience. They know how to work with modelers and manufacturers to get the results they want, including how to design the minis themselves, what steps to take to ensure they are coming out correctly, what questions to ask the factory, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
AGN1964 wrote:

Just to be clear, the factory that makes the minis doesn't create the sculpts for the miniatures. If you think the miniatures are amazing, than you shouldn't be looking at the factory, but instead the sculptors. I don't know who's doing the heroes, but here's a blog by the person who has sculpted a lot of the big monsters/abominations:

http://monster-zer0.blogspot.com.au/

The factory is going to be a factor in the quality of the miniatures, but only so much as the level of detail, quality of the plastic, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks but my question was the question I intended to ask. Good sculpts become bad minis when manufactured in correctly. I have plenty of board game minis that do not match the greens and renders I was shown.

I kind of hope that a manufacturer that has the staff, experience and machines to do it right once, can do it right again.

So is the manufacturer kept under wraps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I am curious to know too, but they are probably not telling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:

So is the manufacturer kept under wraps?

Most likely.

I haven't read directly one way or the other.

In my experience with manufacturers and the like, which one you use is usually a trade secret, although in some cases poorly kept.

Might be very different in boardgames though.

However, if I had the business of a manufacturer that made such quality minis, I wouldn't want other people taking up their production time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add an anecdote about manufacturers and keeping it quiet.

A friend of mine used to work for Wal-Mart in acquisitions. His job was to go find things to sell in Wal-Mart. The second part of his job was as follows.

"These are nice cups, we'd sell these. Who makes these for you?"
"[name] does!"

Or
"These are nice cups, we'd sell these. Who makes these for you?"
"Lolz, that's a trade secret."
"Inorite!? JK."

In the second case he'd do some more digging, but ultimately he'd find the manufacturing company, and have Wal-Mart do a better deal with them for the same or nearly same product.

So, If I were CMON, I wouldn't want to go to my place and say, "Hey our KS is blowing up, as per usual, and we need to hit [launch date-roughly]."

Only for them to say, "actually we do everything for FFG now, sorry. "

Mind you, FFG isn't looking to sell CMON quality minis in retail, so my scenario is purely hypothetical.

I'm just trying to demonstrate a principle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Ludofact makes the minis for CMON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony At DGG
msg tools
Thanks Shiro.

That's interesting. I thought Ludofact was a German "middle-man" company that managed/interacted with/contracted many Chinese factories. I did not know they did their own plastic manufacturing facilities.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mactireban wrote:
Ludofact makes the minis for CMON.

Well that answers that then. Not secret!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.