Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Poll: Which is the noisier game? Taj Mahal or Amun Re
I'm trying to decide between these two games. It's come down to a tie-breaker. Noise.

On the one hand, Taj Mahal is best with 4, a good number for me.

On the other hand, Amun Re has better theme, even quite good according to some. But 5 players is a stretch.

But if one of these games is more socially interactive, then that would sway me.

Noisier game, Taj Mahal or Amun Re?
Taj Mahal, a themeless wonder
Taj Mahal, and it's got plenty theme, you hater.
Amun Re, themey enough
Amun Re, what theme? Reports of its theme are greatly exaggerated
      33 answers
Poll created by itsastickup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The noisier more socially interactive game: Tja Mahal or Amun Re?
Both are amazing games. Taj is more social though, more like Poker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The noisier more socially interactive game: Tja Mahal or Amun Re?
I dunno. I just played Amun-re last night. I like Taj Mahal but i prefer Amun-re. I think Amun-re plays fine at 4 but is definitely better at 5. As to table talk etc, well they are both euros so about the same "noise". We played King of Tokyo after, much more laughing/banter etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having trouble with the noise=theme idea.

I've played both, but Taj never did anything for me. Because of the "Amun-Re style auctions," where you have to step your auction bid up significantly, Amun-Re can get pretty painful when someone overbids you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

I didn't mean to suggest that noise=theme. I was just giving people more options because theme is a secondary issue of interest to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games with auctions always tend to have some social interactivity.

I liken Amun-Re to Cyclades with the Auction mechanic. Sure it's not a loud party-game, but the auction is riveting, tense and leaves you feeling vulnerable, slighted, and a bit like a scoundrel at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

I didn't mean to suggest that noise=theme. I was just giving people more options because theme is a secondary issue of interest to me.

Well, you ask in the poll for the noisier game, but all of the answers are about theme. I'm even unsure whether you think noise is a good or bad thing.

Edit: Or what your definition of noise is: sound? Undesirable sound? Confounding factors in an information stream? Lack of game-position clarity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
itsastickup wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Well, you ask in the poll for the noisier game, but all of the answers are about theme. I'm even unsure whether you think noise is a good or bad thing.

I see the confusion. The question is about social interaction and my intro says it all, as well as the thread title. I should have used the word 'and' to tack on the theme stuff for extra clarity. But I'm something of a beginner at this polling business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say there's slightly more interaction (in the sense of table talk) in Amun-Re. You're more concerned about building up a good hand of cards in Taj Mahal, while Amun-Re has more bidding up and then cursing the other players for scuppering your plans!

I'd also say TM is the very definition of a pasted-on theme, while the theme in AR is not exactly in your face, but is subtly pervasive. (I seem to remember reading that AR had its Ancient Egypt theme right from the start, whereas TM had a different theme originally.)

I may be slightly biased by the fact that I just think AR is by far the better game. It's not at its absolute best with 4, though, while TM probably is. But I like both, and would recommend you get both if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and enjoyed both, a few times each. Taj Mahal is the one I'd love to add to my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.