War of the Ring Collector's Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: best way to play CE WOTR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Lin
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
I just acquired this stupendously fabulous game. The plethora of expansions and upgrades are confusing. Does anyone know the best way to play this game:

1. WOTR CE + expansion in the CE box + Lords of middle earth + 2nd edition upgrade tin?

or

2. WOTR CE + Lords of middle earth + 2nd edition upgrade tin?

or

3. WOTR CE + Lords of Middle earth?

Any advice would be of help. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with just the CE (and the upgrade cards if you have them). The upgrade cards replace the cards that originally came with the game. It's playable either way, but the upgrade ones smooth some of the rules questions.

You can add in Lords of Middle Earth when you're comfortable, but if you're already confused it's probably best to get the basics before you mix in the additional choices in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Lin
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thank you.

Just to clarify, I should not use the expansion included in the CE box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PerryLin wrote:
Thank you.

Just to clarify, I should not use the expansion included in the CE box?

No, not if you want the best experience - although what's in the box is fine.

In my opinion the 2nd edition is better (with the updated rulebook and cards - not in the box). Using the 2nd edition rules and cards it's better to use the 2nd edition expansion LoME, rather than the 1st edition CE expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you havent played it before, stick to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Lin
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you get the upcoming 2nd edition expansion Warriors of Middle Earth at some point, you will already have painted minis for three of the six factions included in WOME: Dunlendings, Ents, and Corsairs.

The original CE is essentially 1st edition with some wording clarifications on the cards and rules. The flaws were essentially that the Shadow side enjoyed a better win record because an experienced player could max out their military play and ignore the fellowship. The expansion included in CE introduced elements to adjust the balance, but they varied in their utility and power.

2nd edition actually tweaked a few events and characters slightly and evened the play balance of the base game, and LOME added a mix of characters while keeping a watchful eye on balance.

Bottom line: CE is great on its own, CE base game + 2e upgrade is better, and the 2e expansions take it to 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with everything above, but also to start out with just the base CE (no Ents, Corsairs, Dunlendings, Siege Towers). Or using the Upgrade cards to take the CE to 2nd edition. More than that will be hard to handle.

It's best to get the core game well understood prior to adding LOME, Warriors of Middle Earth etc.

It is, however, the BEST GAME EVER - so best to savour it and upgrade your experience gradually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.