Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello guys, so this is my situation.

I Just ordered 3 cores yesterday and waiting for them to arrive, but now im sitting here with the first 6 chapter packs on my shopping cart teasing me to click on checkout.

The only thing thats stopping me is this:

What i want out of the game? , I want 8 dedicated faction decks to play casually with my friends. Im the only one who buys games and there are no FLGS available in my area so tournament & competitive play is out of the question.

I want all 8 faction decks to be more or less balanced (meaning that any of the 8 decks can beat any of the other 7 or at least be competitive).

and thats where im worried about buying into chapter packs.

Are 8 faction decks made out of 3 core sets balanced? will introducing the first 6 chapter packs break this balance?

I know that The Wolves of the north Deluxe expansion is a little bit more geared towards Starks so that immediately is out of the question in my mind.

sure i'd love to have the Hound and the Mountain which are found in the chapter packs but not if that means breaking the balance and making some decks much better than others.

what do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The factions on their own aren't particularly balanced for competitive play, but I think they are close enough for the casual player, especially if you tune the decks correctly.

I would say that the balance is just a bit closer after the cycle than before, especially for Martell who went from being arguably the worst faction to having some of the most annoying cards in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will have 7 perfectly balanced decks. They will all equally lose to Lannister .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Waramir wrote:
Are 8 faction decks made out of 3 core sets balanced? will introducing the first 6 chapter packs break this balance?

I'd say no to both questions. I'm not sure how big your group is, but mono faction teams are not the best option if balance is what you are aiming at. There are a couple of factions that can't hold their grounds by themselves.

I think the best you can do is build 4 dual house decks that are more or less competitive against each other (so some tweaking should be needed by restricting some bombs to make some decks less consistent). Keep also in mind that you want 3x of each Roseroad and Kingsroad as economy is scarce in the Core environment, which would mean, only 4 decks could be fully supported. You could go 2x each, which would expand your options to 6 decks, which I think is doable. Lannister/Greyjoy/Bara/Targaryen are good options for solo houses in the core environment, which would leave you with Tyrell/Martell and Stark/Watch or some other combinations of those 4 for the remaining 2 decks.

Another option would be to build kingslayer decks (alternate rules to build 4 decks with only one core). 3 Cores would let you build 12 kingslayer decks giving you more options for combinations and diversifying the field. The Kingslayer rules allow for better "balance" between decks as the limited number of copies of each card creates a higher variance, where weak houses can win against strong ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
You will quickly realise that Banners are both fun and effective ways to play.

By all means, make mono decks first. But you will want to experiment if you enjoy what you play. Guaranteed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a question I've asked myself. I bought into First edition fairly heavily, a little over a year and a half before second edition was announced, and now I've made the full transition. I don't play competitively. I have no intention of ever doing so. I doubt I will play this game with more than two players, and I'm the only one who has bought into it.

After I bought the core set, I said to myself that I would buy the first set of chapter packs, and then stick to the big boxes, because that would at least allow for different deck building options. I didn't buy 3 core sets myself (I only bought two), but even if you did, then I would maybe suggest buying at least the first set of chapter packs, because then at least, like I said, you have options for deck building.

I wouldn't buy more than that though. I *was* considering buying the second cycle, but at least here in the UK, the price has been hiked up dramatically, and I'm not willing to pay that much for a bunch of cards I will likely never use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.