$35.00
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
Hi gamers, I just stumbled across this game today, had not heard of it before. My initial impression from reading the description is that it's based on Higurashi no Naku Koro ni?

Am planning to order this for my girlfriend and I, is it worth playing 2 players? Or does it work better with more players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Higurashi is one of the main sources of inspiration, and some of the plots/subplots are clear references to Higurashi. The main difference is that Higurashi is primarily horror, while Tragedy Looper is primarily mystery.

4 is the best number, but it's still great with 2. The only real drawback to having only a single protagonist player is that that player needs to be sharp -- without any allies to bounce ideas off of, it's easy to tunnel vision down the wrong track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id say i is much easier for the protagonist with 2 since they don't have to say what they are thinking out load and can always communicate with their teammate (themself).

It is pretty good with 2 but amazing with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays well with 2, and you avoid the confusion over communication rules for more than 2 Protagonist players. When we've played with 3+ players, we've just allowed the Protagonists to talk freely, which works fine. In that case, part of the fun for the Mastermind is listening to the conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Totally works with two...it is then just a 1v1 game. But it truly shines at 3v1 (ie, 4 players), where the protagonists can only discuss what's happening between loops (ie, the suggested way of playing after you try out Case 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1vs1, with two equally experienced players, the protagonists will always win. It's way too easy for one player if he controls all 3 characters. The exact same thing holds if the protagonists (controlled by multiple players) re allowed to talk freely.

I'm not saying it's not an enjoyable experience, but a considerable advantage of the mastermind is the lack of communication for the investigators. Take that away and it becomes a steep uphill ride for the "bad guy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
NasosP wrote:
1vs1, with two equally experienced players, the protagonists will always win. It's way too easy for one player if he controls all 3 characters.

This does not mirror my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most scripts are playtested on 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kirkpatrick
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have pointed out, both Table Talk and the number of players can have an impact on difficulty for the protagonists... But in my experience the biggest impact is player skill. For example, as the Mastermind I have won all of my 1v1 games... Yet I lost last night when I played against 3 protagonists. Of note is that these 3 protagonists were significantly stronger on the analytical side than my 1v1 protagonist.

The short answer is that you can definitely play this with your girlfriend and have a lot of fun! Depending on her skill level, games will probably sway one way or another. That's where choosing the number of loops allows you to adjust the difficulty. (Most scripts suggest 2 different options for the number of loops, so if you want to make it easier for the protagonist(s), give them the higher number.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Note: I didn't read Higurashi, but I did read Umineko (sort of sequel since characters went from one to the other).

There is a strong vibe in there that gives the feeling of the repeated loops. The thing is, at least in Umineko, Battler doesn't try to use the loop to his advantage like you can (and must) in this game. Although Erika does, so make of it what you will.

As for 2 players, I think people summed it up nicely above -
with 1 person controlling all 3, he doesn't have to communicate with anyone on the other hand he doesn't have anyone to bounce ideas from.

To give another anime analogy, think of Near & Mello vs L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.