Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Milford
England
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1854 Rules Errata and Clarifications

1844/1854 are an excellent pair of 18xx games that unfortunately have a lot of small errors in the rule books.

These include corrections for the game components which are either wrongly given in, or else missing from, the game component lists.

1. The 6 Local Railway (1 – 6) share certificates are missing (see page 2). This is because they are pre-printed on their Company Charter instead. So use these 6 Company Charters together with 5 private Mountain Railway share certificates in the Game Set-up (see page 3). These 11 private certificates are auctioned in the Initial Auction Round (see page 6).

2. There are 54 Station tokens and 11 Share Price tokens, not 65 and 19 as shown on page 3.

3. The OR/AR and pale pink train token appear to be alternative Round Indicator tokens.

4. The two +10 tokens are game aids to be placed on the Gratz hex at F22 and on the owning company of the third Mountain Railway certificate. (See page 4.)

5. The red arrow token is used on the Certificate Limits table on the smaller Local Railways board. (See page 8, Share Limit.)

6. In Phase 3, the 2+ trains are available after all 1+ trains have been sold, and then 3+ trains are available after all 2+ trains have been sold. (See page 14.)

Edit:
23.07.2016: Added #6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The charters of the Local Railways (1-6) have space for a Mail Contract, but the rules explicitly mention they may not have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thorby
United Kingdom
Middlesex
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The final space on the stock market says "End of Game", but the rules say the game ends when the bank runs out of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Railhead Mike wrote:
4. The two +10 tokens are game aids to be placed on the Gratz hex at F22 and on the owning company of the third Mountain Railway certificate. (See page 4.)

The phrase "owning company" is also in error. Major companies never own private companies in 1854. The second token only indicates which major company received the bonus.

Dave4B wrote:
The final space on the stock market says "End of Game", but the rules say the game ends when the bank runs out of money.

The original edition does allow the game to end when the final space is reached, so I would go with the stock chart here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the pale pink train token supposed to be the "Priority Deal" marker? I.e. put in front of the player who will have the first turn in the next stock round?

I don't see any other component for recording the priority deal. It's a shame the publishers didn't use the blank card for this instead, because the train marker is small and hard to see across the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Railhead Mike wrote:

The phrase "owning company" is also in error. Major companies never own private companies in 1854. The second token only indicates which major company received the bonus.

The rules just say that any major company may use the special ability of the mountain railway. They don't say that this is restricted to only one company, or even to only one company per turn. So the second +10 marker seems redundant.

Unless the intention is that the owner may assign the +10 ability to a single company - either one company per OR, or one company per game. That would explain the presence of the second marker and the phrase "owning company" in the rule about removing the marker.

Does anyone know how this worked in the original edition of 1854?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daveberry wrote:
Is the pale pink train token supposed to be the "Priority Deal" marker? I.e. put in front of the player who will have the first turn in the next stock round?

I don't see any other component for recording the priority deal. It's a shame the publishers didn't use the blank card for this instead, because the train marker is small and hard to see across the table.

I think the card with the "1" on it, is the priority deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
I think the card with the "1" on it, is the priority deal.

You're right. I didn't notice this because I had put the player order cards away with all the 1844 certificates. 1844 needs the cards more than 1854 does, because 1844 resets the player order at the end of each stock round. To determine player order at the start of 1854, I used the option markers, which is quite neat because each player needs to keep their option marker for the duration of the game. But the result of these two decisions was that I didn't notice the card with the "1" on it is also the priority deal card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
daveberry wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
Railhead Mike wrote:

The rules just say that any major company may use the special ability of the mountain railway. They don't say that this is restricted to only one company, or even to only one company per turn. So the second +10 marker seems redundant.

Unless the intention is that the owner may assign the +10 ability to a single company - either one company per OR, or one company per game. That would explain the presence of the second marker and the phrase "owning company" in the rule about removing the marker.

Does anyone know how this worked in the original edition of 1854?

In the original edition the ability was used once to assign the bonus to a specific company. I assume that's the reason for there being two tokens, and the omission from the Mayfair rules is unintentional.

daveberry wrote:
Is the pale pink train token supposed to be the "Priority Deal" marker?

As far as I've been able to work out it's just an alternate round marker provided because they had some extra space on the token sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.