5 Posts

Richthofen's War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Maneuver Chart "E" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mad hopper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I safely assume that Maneuver Chart "E" is incorrect? It indicates "0 - 1 - 2 - 3" turning right and "1 - 2 - 3" turning left. The rules state that a plane can not turn more than 3 hex sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhopper50 wrote:
Can I safely assume that Maneuver Chart "E" is incorrect? It indicates "0 - 1 - 2 - 3" turning right and "1 - 2 - 3" turning left. The rules state that a plane can not turn more than 3 hex sides.

Maneuver Chart "E" indicates 0-1-2 turning right and 1-2-3 turning left; not sure where you're getting the fourth value from on the right turn. The lesser cost for turning right reflects a rotary engine which had a tendency to pull the plane in that direction.

(I hadn't had the game off the shelf in decades, but your post roused my curiosity.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad hopper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what your saying, I just kept counting and assumed you counted to three. Thanks for the quick reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - that's weird. We had the EXACT same question last night during our first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p o
msg tools
mb
A true rotary effect would see the aircraft nose down on right rudder and nose up on left along with facing change. Basically every control was about 45% off because of the large spinning rotary engine.

A pilot hand to combine roll rudder and back stick to hold a level turn. I also believe the slower the aircraft was moving the more pronounced the rotary effects would be.

Combining right rudder and back stink would in effect skid the aircraft right and a down stick left rudder would skid the aircraft left.

None of this translates well into most board games on WWI.

Going left was always more difficult as the nose rising tended to place the aircraft in a control stall condition. It was much more tricky going left than going right.

That's why the extra movement points going left on rotary aircraft. I personally think the left effects are to pronounced for the DR1 but the camel was more tricking going left so the left turn may be spot on.

I've been tinkering with a 12 point turn system for an advanced version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.