Battlestar Galactica» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 554 - It's Cold Outside rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 554: It's Cold Outside
6 Player all expansions game to Earth

Welcome to the start of BSG 554: It's Cold Outside. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for starting this. Thanks also to Orphius, JasperHawk, and Mawkee for their work on the mod tools that will be used. Finally, thanks to Ed Hennessey who moderated my first PBF game and from whom I've shamelessly "borrowed" and adapted this opening preamble. whistle

Our Crew:

CyberGarp as Saul Tigh
wcboy18 as Lee Adama
magi210 as D'Anna Biers
Mad Geologist as Hotdog
Aurianna as Ellen Tigh
Khaaaaan as Louis Hoshi

Invites sent to:
wcboy18 - IN
Aurianna - IN
CyberGarp - IN
Mad Geologist - IN
magi210 - IN
ChannelDelibird - DECLINED

Alternates:
Khaaaaan - IN
pseudotheist - No space

Players (and alternates)will have until 11am BST (GMT + 1) on Saturday 23rd July 2016 to respond before I send out further invites.

Rules and Guidelines:

d10-1 In order to participate, you must own a copy of game.

If, at some point, you are temporarily away from your cards and need the text to make a decision, send me a GeekMail and I'll get you the relevant information.

d10-2 You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart.

There is an expectation that you will not hold the game up for a significant period of time when it is your turn to make an action. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. After 24 hours of inactivity, I may make your decision for you. Habitual offenders may be replaced. If you are going to be offline for longer stretches of time (and that is totally acceptable), please tell us in the thread (or me by geekmail), and we can pause the game if necessary.

Do note that if there is active discussion concerning your current turn you will not be rushed.

d10-3 All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY.

Anything that needs to be communicated privately by me and a player will take place via GeekMail. When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line. (Example: "BSG 554: Starbuck - Secret Destiny Use")

d10-4 Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl et al. are available here. If you are mobile, please type your character name in caps at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation.

Courtesy of Mike Bonn, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Mike_Bonn wrote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner. I used 565008 to generate the one in this post.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

Also, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded, but once an action is bolded I will not allow it to be changed.

d10-5 Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players).

d10-6 Do not quote posts from more than one page back.

The game can get much less fun if some players have perfect memories, so if you are quoting another player it may not be from more than one page back.

d10-7 Respect the secrecy rules.

Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ. In particular, please make sure you don't:
* Say "medium" if you only played one card.
* Talk about scouted cards beyond good or bad.
* Identify what cards (or even what colors) you played into a skill check.
* Volunteer what cards are in your hand unless it is relevant to the situation.

Conditional Orders (COs)

1 I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

2 Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act. The only exception to this is that I will allow the use of "Tank" during the interrupt phase. This means "Pass on interrupts AND the check if everyone else passes." As soon as someone plays cards into the check, "Tank" is nullified for all subsequent players. You may also declare "Tank" in public but CO cards to play in private. Those playing after you are free to assume you have passed, however; this is rarely an issue in practice.

3 Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things for which I will not ask for interrupts for (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency, Change of Plans and Calculations should all have plenty of time for you to consider using them so will not be considered unless you have notified me of your intention to use them.
Strategic Planning on Launch Scout unless there is only one raptor remaining.
Strategic Planning on attacks by vipers.
Strategic Planning on any rolls that would aid the Cylons.
Evasive Maneuvers unless the viper is a. destroyed, b. manned, c. it is the last ship protecting a civilian, d. it is the last ship in a sector and there are no civilians on the board, or e. if there are 2 or fewer undamaged vipers left.

4 I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.

5 If you have an interrupt-style character ability, then you must put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.

6 Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.

Please note that this is my first attempt at moderating a BSG PBF game so despite my best intentions, I will probably make mistakes and miss things. If you see something that looks wrong let me know. In addition to this I have never played using the New Caprica or Ionian Nebula destinations so if either of those are chosen as our destination there is an increased risk of errors so please be extra vigilant in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
malcolm reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up for a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just double checked the waitlist two days ago to make sure I was still on it!

Definitely IN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm IN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm IN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadet Garp awaiting duty assignment sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAD Geologist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Sounds like good fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, we’ve got enough for our full complement but we’re just waiting for ChannelDelibird to respond. I’ll give him until the deadline and if I’ve not heard from him by then or he declines his place then Khaaaaan will be our 6th player.

In the meantime I’d like to get everyone’s preferences on a few things. I’m quite happy to go with pretty much any combination so I’ll go with the majority vote on each of the following but if there’s a tie then I’ll make the decision. Can everyone let me know their votes for:

Poll
Which method of Cylon attack would you prefer?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Cylon attack cards
40.0% 2
Cylon Fleet board
60.0% 3
Voters 5
Which destination would you prefer?
Kobol
0.0% 0
New Caprica
0.0% 0
Ionian Nebula
0.0% 0
Earth
100.0% 4
Voters 4
What are your preferences for Personal goals and Final Five?
Personal Goals only
0.0% 0
Final Five only
40.0% 2
Both
40.0% 2
Neither
20.0% 1
Voters 5
This poll is now closed.   5 answers
Poll created by THN Wraith
Closes: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:00 am

Khaaaaan, feel free to vote but I’d appreciate it if you could let me know either here or by GM which options you’ve chosen then I can adjust the results if ChannelDelibird does take up his invite.

I’m not intending to include any house rules but I will consider them if there’s overwhelming support so if there’s something you’d like as a house rule then let me know and I’ll add it to the list of voting items. I’ll leave the choice of Mutineer/Cylon Leader to you. If someone picks a CL during character selection then that’s what we’ll go with, otherwise we’ll have a mutineer. Speaking of character selection, I’ll start that once all the votes are in (or we hit the deadline – whichever comes first) as the options selected could influence what characters people choose.

As I said above I’m happy enough to go with pretty much any combination but I would like to reiterate that there are certain components I’ve never used before either in PBF or F2F formats so if we go with them it will increase the risk of me making mistakes. Those components are: Personal Goals, New Caprica and Ionian Nebula. I’ve also played with the CAC’s far more than the CFB but I have at least used that before so I’m sure I can handle that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we campaign?

Just personal experience, but was once a cylon Boomer in a Final Five only game. In the end, second cylon loyalty card was left in loyalty deck. Without personal goals, the only chance for loyalty deck turn-over was human execution, which didn't happen when you have 4 humans, a human sympathetic cylon leader, and one cylon in the brig. The game was very unbalanced, and after sleeper, quick, and boring.
FF-only scarred me for life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Aurianna wrote:
Can we campaign?

Just personal experience, but was once a cylon Boomer in a Final Five only game. In the end, second cylon loyalty card was left in loyalty deck. Without personal goals, the only chance for loyalty deck turn-over was human execution, which didn't happen when you have 4 humans, a human sympathetic cylon leader, and one cylon in the brig. The game was very unbalanced, and after sleeper, quick, and boring.
FF-only scarred me for life.

You can certainly ask the other players to consider your point of view and I can certainly understand the frustration of an unbalanced game (see below) but what you described seems more like a combination of Boomer's downside and the Exodus loyalty deck than specifically the Final Five cards so I'm still intending to go with the majority votes.

The unbalanced game I had was my own fault. It was a 5 player game in which one player desperately wanted to play a Cylon Leader. I misread the setup for the loyalty deck and only included one YAAC card which I got at sleeper which we'd hit at 6 distance on my turn (3 pre-sleeper followed by Cylon Ambush). Search For Home passed easily and every crisis had jump icons plus 2 extra jump icons from Crippled Raider and Network Computers so I only got one turn as a Cylon before the humans reached Earth with all resources in the Blue. The mutineer also came out at sleeper and the Cylon Leader had 4 human motives! That was really not a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THN Wraith wrote:

You can certainly ask the other players to consider your point of view and I can certainly understand the frustration of an unbalanced game (see below) but what you described seems more like a combination of Boomer's downside and the Exodus loyalty deck than specifically the Final Five cards so I'm still intending to go with the majority votes.

Well I think that the PGs help balance it a bit. Chance of only one cylon, but bad things much must happen to avoid extra resource loss; not a totally fair trade, but fairer. Also if I recall, doesn't turning in a PG deal you a new loyalty card? If there are PGs to turn in then there's still a chancel the last cylon card will be dealt out. Those chances dive bomb if execution is the only way to make it happen

Definitely go with what everyone votes for. I just think it's broken even if Boomer isn't the sole cylon.

THN Wraith wrote:

The unbalanced game I had was my own fault. It was a 5 player game in which one player desperately wanted to play a Cylon Leader. I misread the setup for the loyalty deck and only included one YAAC card which I got at sleeper which we'd hit at 6 distance on my turn (3 pre-sleeper followed by Cylon Ambush). Search For Home passed easily and every crisis had jump icons plus 2 extra jump icons from Crippled Raider and Network Computers so I only got one turn as a Cylon before the humans reached Earth with all resources in the Blue. The mutineer also came out at sleeper and the Cylon Leader had 4 human motives! That was really not a fun game.

Haha... well... might have been a bit fun for the humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Aurianna wrote:

THN Wraith wrote:

Haha... well... might have been a bit fun for the humans.

Actually, they said the lack of challenge made it boring for them too. So much so that one of them now refuses to play BSG again, despite me explaining that it was due to me making a mistake. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THN Wraith wrote:

Actually, they said the lack of challenge made it boring for them too. So much so that one of them now refuses to play BSG again, despite me explaining that it was due to me making a mistake. cry

Booooooooo

Truth be told I haven't played a F2F game of BSG in three years. My group thinks the game is too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far it looks like Earth and Cylon Fleet board. Goals/Final Five can be swung by the final votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've just heard from ChannelDelibird and he has declined the invite so Khaaaaan you are definitely in. Welcome aboard everyone.

At the moment we have 4 votes for Earth so that will definitely be our destination. The CAC's could technically tie with the CFB but as I've reserved the right to make the final decision on any ties I'll just say that we'll go with the fleet board. The final vote for the conflicted loyalties could produce an outright winner though so I'll leave that until the poll closes.

There's still a bit of time left on the poll for the last vote to come in but in the meantime let's get the character selection order up.

Highest roll picks first:
wcboy18 1d1000 = (383) = 383
Aurianna 1d1000 = (274) = 274
CyberGarp 1d1000 = (959) = 959
Mad Geologist 1d1000 = (281) = 281
magi210 1d1000 = (304) = 304
Khaaaaan 1d1000 = (226) = 226

I don't think the Personal Goals or Final Five are likely to change what people choose but if you want to wait for the poll to close before you choose your character that's fine but if not then please go ahead.

CyberGarp is first to choose. Everyone else, if you know who you'd like to choose please feel free to send me a CO and if you know what you'll want for your starting draw then please let me know that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 929266. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (383) =
  • Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:52 pm
  • [+]
  • 929269. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (274) =
  • Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:53 pm
  • [+]
  • 929270. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (959) =
  • [+]
  • 929271. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (281) =
  • [+]
  • 929272. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (304) =
  • [+]
  • 929273. THN Wraith
  • 1d1000 =
  • (226) =
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lee Adama reporting in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wcboy18 wrote:
Lee Adama reporting in!

Is that the political side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The poll is now closed and we have definite winners of Earth as the destination and the Cylon Fleet Board instead of CAC's. There is a tie between Final Five only and both Final Five and Personal Goals so my choice is that we'll go with both.

I believe that wcboy18's choice is Political Lee Adama otherwise he would likely have said "Apollo" but I have GM'd him to clarify this. In the meantime this will not change the choice from magi210 who chooses D'Anna by CO

Next up to choose will be Mad Geologist. Please wait for wcboy18 to confirm his choice before picking your character. If he confirms that it is Political Lee Adama you can choose any Support or any Pilot except Apollo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry for the confusion. I typically think of "Apollo" as the pilot and "Lee" as the political leader, so I forgot to clarify. I am Lee Adama (Daybreak).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAD Geologist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

4 Colour skill set? Thats going to be fun. Get to do a lot of things Once only though. I'll start with everything except piloting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAD Geologist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh if I do end up CAG does anyone know if there an appropriate banner around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Geologist wrote:

Oh if I do end up CAG does anyone know if there an appropriate banner around?

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/2152236#item2152236

Image 1324139
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THN Wraith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Aurianna is next to choose and can take any unchosen character except Cylon Leaders or Pilot Lee "Apollo" Adama.

So far I only have a starting hand choice from Lee (and Saul's full draw).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurianna
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if it doesn't help much with card balance but I'm itching to try Ellen Tigh in an earth game.

Will fix banners soon.

ellen Tigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [58] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.