Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain this ship to me? It seems like everyone else is getting it, so I accept the issue is me, but I just don't understand how to play it. Is there a difference between a unit and a drone? Are drones considered crew? Do I have non-drone units? Do I use drones to construct drones. I only have four active drones? Are the other two dice then not considered drones? What does it mean to recall a drone? Do I roll the dice at the beginning of the game. Or ever? If so, how many? Help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me give it a shot (and then other can correct me).

The drones are the four spaces above the ship outline. When a dice is in one of those positions, it acts according to the legend below the ship. For example if you have a tactical die in the drone position, it does 2 damage to enemies during step 3.

You create a new drone by having an engineering die and one other die of the type created. You use both of these (had to have been rolled) and move the second die to the drone position.

In addition, if you roll a Commander, you can change the facing of any drone die currently installed. Rolling a Medical die lets you remove one of the die from the drone position so it becomes available again or of course you can remove one from the infirmary.

Other rolled dice are not used.

Drones are sort of crew in that they are the ones that do most of the work. In addition, as long as you have one, you are not dead (yet).

So you only have at max 4 drones. The other two are used to manipulate drones as above. At the beginning of the game you have two drones (tactical and science) and roll the other four dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WWG Con 2016!!!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only caveat I'd add is that drones can NOT be used to complete internal threats/away missions. I was playing this wrong my first time through, thinking the AG-8 was just ridiculously good. Then I read or saw a comment somewhere that the AG-8 has a weakness against the internal threats.

You can only complete these via the rolled dice, ie - non-drones. This makes things considerably more challenging, since if (and that's almost a definite) you have drones locked in you are lessening your chances of rolling the desired die face.

Also, if you really need more dice, then you could use a medic to recall one, adding more dice to your step 1 phase, thus increasing your probability of a desired roll. I was confused at first, wondering why you'd ever want to recall a drone. I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that this is the only case when you would want to.

One last thing: drones act as if they had been rolled for that turn, when in fact they are not rolled. They sit there and add their effect to your pool each turn during step 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The information in this thread is correct.

Once a crew die becomes a drone it ceases to be treated as a crew member for purposes of away missions. However, cards that tell you to send a unit to the infirmary refers to crew or drone. It's up to you to decide which to send to the infirmary.

Any dice that aren't placed in the drone spots are still your regular crew. You need one of them as an engineer to construct a drone. 4 drones is the maximum you can have at once. To recall a drone is to remove it from one of the drone spots.

You still roll dice every turn, but you will not roll any dice that are on the drone spots (in addition to any dice that are unavailable due to infirmary, away missions, or scanners).

The AG-8 is going to feel the most hands-off of all the ships. And that is by design. Thematically it is a robot ship that uses drones operated by a skeleton crew. Programming the drones to handle the different threats requires a bit of foresight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate the help. Every once in a while I struggle to "read between the lines" with game instructions. Definitely fell between the cracks on this one. I think I understand now. I'll try the game out after work tonight and report back. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing now...
Fun ship!
So if I only have two active drones then I can continue to roll the other four dice as crew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quik_Fix wrote:
Playing now...
Fun ship!
So if I only have two active drones then I can continue to roll the other four dice as crew?

Yes if they are not otherwise locked up such as in the infirmary or on a threat or scanner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
But... Oh no, a boarding ship! Are tactical drones affected by this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quik_Fix wrote:
Thanks!
But... Oh no, a boarding ship! Are tactical drones affected by this card?

I'm guessing yes, but hopefully Tony swings by to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Hébert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So Friendly Fire should knock out all tactical Drones at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.