Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: SAQ [+] [View All]
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So first things first, lets try to keep this focused on the more low level stuff (Offense related to Religion, Sex or Politics can be kept in the RSP forum, although I'm aware there will be a lot of cross over of the points made. RSP issues tend to have more historical context or life belief issues behind them that what I'm wanting discussed here, so lets see if we can accomplish this without needing to move to RSP).

So what's the point of this post?

I've found recent threads that raise the issue of offense to be curious. Is it ok to use the term Ameritrash? Do you get insulted when people refer to Board Games as Toys? Is it ok to call someone a Geek? These are just some examples of what I'm talking about, it's amazing where offense seems to pop his head up these days.

Now none of those terms bother me in the least, however it is evident from post on BGG that some people take direct offense and then there is another tier of people that although ok with the terms/words easily understand why others may take offense.

So this is where I'm left scratching my head? How are the terms offensive? Yes if used in a demeaning or derogatory way I can see why people would take offense, but that doesn't make the terms offensive, merely the context and intent of what the person using the terms is implying or suggesting.

As a side step from board games, when growing up I knew a lot of Rev heads (People into cars and motor sports etc). Rev head was sometimes used in a derogatory manner by people that didn't like the activities of Rev Heads. However most people I know wear the term Rev Head as a badge of honour or acknowledgement of their interest to this day.

Much like the term Gamer can be used. I proudly associate and label myself a gamer, although I've heard people use it in a derogatory manner. Much like Geek.

Now this is the part I don't get. I'm proud to be associated as a Geek and a Gamer. When someone attempts to use it as a negative for me, I don't find offense I'm just thinking they are missing out, because if they new the fun it encompassed they too would want to be a Geek/Gamer. Most of my gaming group are people that were into quite physical activities in their younger years and previously thought games were for Geeks, but having been introduced to them think they are the next best thing since sliced bread and are happy to get in on the geek label now.

So what's my point?

Well from my view point I can only be offended by use of these sorts of terms if I think there is something wrong with them and what they encompass. Sure games are technically toys, but boy are they good fun.

All in all I can't help but think a lot of what people are calling offensive is more about their own insecurities than certain terms actually being offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are different, and they feel differently about things.

It's a reach to tell someone the way they feel is wrong, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, things have gotten weird.

If you are offended, you are either close-minded or too sensitive.
If you aren't offended, you are called bigoted or told you are some political radical.

You just can't win arguments nowadays, so ignore them and play more games. At least, the rules are simpler, somebody wins, and you have fun whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. That's why I'm asking the question. To try to understand why others find offense in what I consider low level issues.

I'm not suggesting the way anyone feels is wrong, I'm curious to know why they feel that way.

I've merely supplied the reasons for the way I feel about if for discussion purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
If someone actually managed to offend me, I'd applaud them for the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many people have a problem expressing their true emotions and to "blow up" on an online forum is a safe place for them to do it. It's easy to express outrage at the world from the safety of your chair and keyboard. Is it healthy, I have no idea whatsoever.

Asking people why something pisses them off is pointless though, people get pissed off because they get pissed off.

Do we step close to the "politically correctness" line when we post something that might "trigger" others? For myself, I try to be polite and post the same way I would speak to someone face to face. I don't try to be offensive nor do I bait people or try to show off. It's called being polite and respectful, something a lot more people should practice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How dare you accuse us of being offended too easily!

Pete (demands an apology)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

James: I sincerely apologize for the fact that you are a sensitive goober! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
joetaco wrote:
Yup, things have gotten weird.

If you are offended, you are either close-minded or too sensitive.
If you aren't offended, you are called bigoted or told you are some political radical.

You just can't win arguments nowadays, so ignore them and play more games. At least, the rules are simpler, somebody wins, and you have fun whistle

Well said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:

You just can't win arguments nowadays, so ignore them and play more games.

Yeah, this is the approach I'm taking now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember this fondly:

I'm offended by......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesl59 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

James: I sincerely apologize for the fact that you are a sensitive goober! whistle

I'm totally offended by the use of the "goober" word!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
I remember this fondly:

I'm offended by......

Eeeeh gads man! Now you've offended everyone!!! You just had to stoop to bringing Disney into this. Have you no soul????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theldyrn wrote:

Your penmanship is appalling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
bortmonkey wrote:
Theldyrn wrote:

Your penmanship is appalling

I was hoping for "resembles the barf of a disoriented wolverine". So I'm slightly miffed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Now this is the part I don't get. I'm proud to be associated as a Geek and a Gamer. When someone attempts to use it as a negative for me, I don't find offense I'm just thinking they are missing out, because if they new the fun it encompassed they too would want to be a Geek/Gamer. Most of my gaming group are people that were into quite physical activities in their younger years and previously thought games were for Geeks, but having been introduced to them think they are the next best thing since sliced bread and are happy to get in on the geek label now.

For myself, I tend not to get offended by the specific term being used but rather the intent.

I haven't experienced this myself but if someone used that term as a negative for me, I will cut that person out of my life. Not because they used the term geek or gamer - but because they tried to put me down. I have very little free time so I'm not going to spend the little amount I have with people who hold me in contempt and actively try to belittle me.

By way of example.

This would be okay - "Hey, everyone. This is Joke. He's a geek and likes boardgames."
This would not be okay - "Hey, everyone. This is Joke. He's a geek and likes "boardgames". <snigger>"

Edit: To answer your other point, I don't think they are missing out either. I think that different people like different things and I'm sure that they have their own hobbies and interests which work for them. I don't think boardgames are necessarily better than their hobbies - just different.

Edit 2: I worded that edit really badly so let me try again. I don't agree with the notion that there is a boardgame for everyone. This is part of the reason that I don't evangelize boardgames. I think that there are people who will never get into boardgames. I don't think its a problem though as they will have other things that they can get into. To each their own an' all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm offended that no one responded "maybe".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick, someone talk about games to keep this out of RSP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid_Dragon wrote:
I'm offended that no one responded "maybe".

Crap!!! I should have gone for it earlier when I had the impulse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:
Quick, someone talk about games to keep this out of RSP!

RSP or RIP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ain't no "we"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.