Subject: Absorption Shield rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played my first game with SotR expansion and had a question come up.

Can the Absorption Shield rare technology upgrade be used to replace your original source in your ships? We both agreed that Yes, it can replace it even though the title of the technology is "shield" vs "source"

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Sure, you may replace any "original" ship part with any upgrade ship part, irrespective of their names, as long as you follow the restrictions for upgrading blueprints.

base game rule book, page 13 wrote:
The following restrictions apply
(…)
• the total Energy Consumption of the Ship’s parts may not be higher than its total Energy Production.
(…)

In this case, only if your ship produces enough energy to cover its consumption is of pertinence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
striped_zebra wrote:
Played my first game with SotR expansion and had a question come up.

Can the Absorption Shield rare technology upgrade be used to replace your original source in your ships? We both agreed that Yes, it can replace it even though the title of the technology is "shield" vs "source"

Is this correct?

Yes. This is detailed in the base Eclipse rules, page 13 of the English edition under Upgrade.

With the Upgrade action, return as many Ship Part Tiles to the Supply Board as you want. Then take up to two tiles from the Supply Board and place them on any of the squares on your Ship blueprints.

The following restrictions apply:
• most Ship Parts (marked with the Technology symbol) re-
quire that you have researched the corresponding Technol-
ogy (see Research on page 12) before they can be taken;
• the total Energy Consumption of the Ship’s parts may not
be higher than its total Energy Production; and
• Interceptors, Cruisers and Dreadnoughts must have a
Drive, Starbases are not allowed to have a Drive.

Italics added. Bolding in original. There is also a little more explanation of restrictions in the illustration on that page.

The description of the part in SotR confirms it:

Absorption Shield: The Shield absorbs the force flux around the ship, providing –1 Shield and creating four Energy.

Italics added.

What essentially you can't do with it is place it over a Drive to leave the ship without a Drive, unless it's a Starbase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
varianor wrote:
What essentially you can't do with it is place it over a Drive to leave the ship without a Drive, unless it's a Starbase.

Unless, of course, you already have another Drive upgrade tile on the blueprint or place one with your second upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
varianor wrote:

Unless, of course, you already have another Drive upgrade tile on the blueprint or place one with your second upgrade.

Which seems to be pretty strongly implied in the "leave the ship without a Drive" part of the sentence ...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sure. The nature of the question that started this thread, and the direct connection with this statement, though, make it seem a good idea to be explicit there, instead of implying, even if strongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
Sure. The nature of the question that started this thread, and the direct connection with this statement, though, make it seem a good idea to be explicit there, instead of implying, even if strongly.

Thanks, I understand that ships Must have a drive. I was just unsure if they also needed to have a designated "Source" and the absorption shield could only be used as an auxiliary tile.

Based on the responses, it is perfectly acceptable to power your whole ship with 1, 2 or 3 absorption shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
striped_zebra wrote:
lee elektrik wrote:

Thanks, I understand that ships Must have a drive. I was just unsure if they also needed to have a designated "Source" and the absorption shield could only be used as an auxiliary tile.

Based on the responses, it is perfectly acceptable to power your whole ship with 1, 2 or 3 absorption shields.

Agreed. It's all about having enough power! (Just make sure you have at least one drive showing at all times except on Starbases.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.