Subject: CAV:Strike Operations and 2nd Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any new info on the latest version of CAV and this game page now only shows images and info on the old version.

The latest rules are called CAV:Strike Operations and they are a cleaned up, slick new version of the game in hardback.

The new game rules play much better and look incredible with the new Bones mech miniatures, IMHO.

Played a demo at Origins with my son, back to back with the venerable classic Battletech, and both of us greatly preferred the look and gameplay of CAV:Strike Operations over Battletech.

Unfortunately, I missed out on the first Kickstarter, but there is another one currently running, and yet, there is nothing mentioned about it here.

Anyone curious can search for info about the kickstarter Talon Games CAV: Strike Operations II.

The new rules can be test driven at talon-games.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jeneki
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on, Strike Operations is worthy of a look.

I still have a lot of respect for CAV1, due to how purely mathematical it was and very light on "special" rules. But Strike Operations is definitely pulling me back into the CAV world after taking a long break from it.

The new Bones miniature line is a bit of a double edged sword. Very affordable and nice quality for the price, but noticeably bendy for mechs that should have razor-straight gun barrels. There are some ways to fix this but it does take a small bit of extra work (heat up with hot water, bend into position, then cold water). On the plus side, Bones are really easy to chop up and modify, which I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just jumped in on this KS. I used to play Battletech in the way-back, but haven't touched it in 15+ years. A while ago I picked up one of the core rulebooks (not the Total Warfare version, the one before that) to read and I remember the things I liked and didn't like about the game.

CAV I think will hit the right spot for me. I really prefer mixed forces type games (infantry, armor, aircraft, mechs) and while the game appears to focus on the mechs, it looks like the rest of the forces will get a fair shake in this game. Plus the models look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan bowen
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
The nice thing about this kickstarter vs the first one if that they have the Basic Training Pledge Level. Gets you a hard copy of the newest iteration of the rules. some dice, some paints, and 8 mechs. enought to field two small forces to get used to the system. This Pledge will ship in November giving you time to play with the system till the CORE pledge ships next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.... and then come up with army designs based on all the cool figures you will be receiving next year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Tompkins
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a demo of CAV years ago at Gencon and enjoyed it. Decided to go all in with the core force and the basic training set. Resistance was futile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Girot Vicioti
msg tools
I'll just leave these here. All of this can be done with just the core set. Imagine what we could pull off if we started unlocking some add-ons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.