Mike Mollineaux
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question I asked my family a few nights ago...

What is the ideal amount of Luck vs. Strategy in a game? I recognize it will vary widely based upon personal taste and the genre of game, but just curious...

The poll will be based on percentage of Strategy (0% being like Candy Land and 100% being like Chess).

Poll: Ideal percentage of Strategy in a game
What is the ideal percentage of strategy in a game?
0% to 20%
20% to 40%
40% to 60%
60% to 80%
80% to 100%
      74 answers
Poll created by Mlinx6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a false dichotomy. Luck and strategy are on separate axises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5Hf7uOu-o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
It's a false dichotomy. Luck and strategy are on separate axises.

Exactly. They do have some impact on each other but not always in the way you might expect - removing random elements from a game can make it less strategic.

Edit - Tic-Tac-Toe & Backgammon being examples of games where the game with more luck also has more strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Richard Garfields example of a high strategy high luck game.

You play a game of chess. (perceived as high skill, no luck game). Then at the end of the game the winner rolls a die. On a 1 the winner of the chess part of the game loses the game and the one who was losing before wins.

I wouldn't want to play this, but it's a very strategic (chess) game in which in 17% of all cases the better player can lose due to bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer randomness over luck.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

If you go that way I prefer uncertainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Game expert/historian/game designer/1st SDJ Winner, David Parlett, "Skill is not the absence of luck. It is presence of substantive choice."

It is funny how game like Up Front which has LOT of luck has a 7-time WBC champion. It is funny how the same poker players often win the night. Or the same Scrabble player s win the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Sounds volatile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Weird. I prefer certainty.

But even if we change the OP's question to something that's only asking about luck/randomness/uncertainty on its own, I can't answer without knowing how long the game is. If we're playing a 30 second game, I'm okay with it being completely random. If it's five minutes, it can still be fairly random, but I'd like some way to influence/mitigate/deal with that randomness. The longer the game lasts the less I want the outcome to be dependent on random elements. If I've invested 10 hours on a game, I shouldn't feel like something completely outside my control or ability to manage has decided the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not possible to calculate a ratio of things for which we haven't established a common unit of measurement.

In a cupboard, there are two old boots, 500g of sugar and a faint smell of garlic. What is the percentage of boots, sugar and smell of garlic in the cupboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
someone already mentioned Backgammon - consider though, there is a range of utility for every dice result depending on game-state.

yes, it has an 'unpredictability' (dice rolls) but it offers many options to try to minimize risk.

and , maybe except for very simple strategy games and solo gaming, there's always the unpredictability of how opponents will play - so, are there really many 100% strategy games?

(if you play Backgammon with a second board - board 'B' - and play on that board using your opponents dice roll - it likely will help determine which player is the most skillful in a just a few games. it removes the complaints about 'good' rolls vs 'unlucky' rolls)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I think as game length increases, the amount of acceptable luck decreases.

A medium to long strategic game can use some randomness to create variation in the game, but the randomness should not be so great that the end of game often hinges on a die roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Prefer all or mostly strategy. Been playing Chess since age seven and more recently Hive. Most of the folks with whom I play prefer more luck and I can do that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's not game length, it's the number of random moments. I prefer lots of random moments to just a few.

One of my problems with Twilight Struggle and Polis: Fight for the Hegemony is that they have relatively few random moments but those random moments can be critical. In an ongoing iOS game of Twilight Struggle, my enemy staged both the Korean War and the Arab Israeli War. He lost both. Now I'm winning. However, if he'd won both (which is just as likely) he'd be winning. That's a lot to put on 2 die rolls.

Now take Fortress America. Lots of dice, but lots and lots and lots of dice. With all those dice, rolls tend towards the average. I will beat a novice player even if they get luckier than me, because it's rare that they'll be that much luckier all the way through the game. They'd have to get super lucky to have a chance. That kind of lucky happens maybe 1 in 10 games. I can live with that (and it gives the novice a moment of pleasure as they savor one of their rare victories).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
For me, it's not game length, it's the number of random moments. I prefer lots of random moments to just a few.

One of my problems with Twilight Struggle and Polis: Fight for the Hegemony is that they have relatively few random moments but those random moments can be critical. In an ongoing iOS game of Twilight Struggle, my enemy staged both the Korean War and the Arab Israeli War. He lost both. Now I'm winning. However, if he'd won both (which is just as likely) he'd be winning. That's a lot to put on 2 die rolls.

Now take Fortress America. Lots of dice, but lots and lots and lots of dice. With all those dice, rolls tend towards the average. I will beat a novice player even if they get luckier than me, because it's rare that they'll be that much luckier all the way through the game. They'd have to get super lucky to have a chance. That kind of lucky happens maybe 1 in 10 games. I can live with that (and it gives the novice a moment of pleasure as they savor one of their rare victories).

good points - I suppose I DO NOT want to feel that the dice/deck is my primary opponent, I want to feel like the other player(s) are my opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the successful management of random events to be a lot more strategic that the successful management of nonrandom events.

Pete (enjoys working out the probabilities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I find the successful management of random events to be a lot more strategic that the successful management of nonrandom events.

I'd put successful management of opponents' moves as #1 in strategery. Opponent choices are (in theory) non-random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

I won't go quite that far but I do think managing random events is a skill as worthy and as, er, skillful as any one finds in luckless Euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I won't go quite that far but I do think managing random events is a skill as worthy and as, er, skillful as any one finds in luckless Euros.
Stone age: I really need 3 wood. How many workers do I need to devote to be reasonably certain that I will get 3 wood? What is the opportunity cost of adding one more worker, and how much does it increase my odds of getting that extra wood? What are the long-term repercussions of not getting my 3 wood, and how do those compare to the long term repercussions of not having that extra worker on another action? What's my best move here?

Agricola: This worker gets me 3 wood. Or I can do that other thing.

Pete (summarizes the difference he sees between random and nonrandom games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy and Random Elements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
skutsch wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Stone age: I really need 3 wood. How many workers do I need to devote to be reasonably certain that I will get 3 wood? What is the opportunity cost of adding one more worker, and how much does it increase my odds of getting that extra wood? What are the long-term repercussions of not getting my 3 wood, and how do those compare to the long term repercussions of not having that extra worker on another action? What's my best move here?

What? Come on!

Agricola: I have two workers, so do both of my opponents. There's an array of possible options I could take, some of which are better than others. First I evaluate which options I prefer and which are more important to me. Then I evaluate what other players are likely to want. I note any constraints other players may have, like do they have a way to eat/house animals or do they need to take another action prior to taking animals? Do they have a pressing need to feed their family this turn? Can I afford to risk losing the 3 wood and take something else first? How bad is it if someone else takes the wood before it gets back to me and I don't have any wood this turn? What are the chances that's going to happen based on what other players want, their constraints and what I know about their playstyle? If they do take the wood from me, what's my backup plan and how much less optimal is that for me? If I play it safe and take the wood now, what is likely to be available for my other worker when it gets back to me?

Don't pretend there's more to think about with a random event. Maybe you think about it more than you do with non-random events, but that's because you choose to, not because there's not anything to think about. If anything you probably go through the thought process with random events because the calculation is easier and you don't have to deal with factors that are hard to quantitatively evaluate (the odds that you'll roll x are easier to determine than the odds that Bob will do x).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
skutsch wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

What? Come on!

Agricola: I have two workers, so do both of my opponents. There's an array of possible options I could take, some of which are better than others. First I evaluate which options I prefer and which are more important to me. Then I evaluate what other players are likely to want. I note any constraints other players may have, like do they have a way to eat/house animals or do they need to take another action prior to taking animals? Do they have a pressing need to feed their family this turn? Can I afford to risk losing the 3 wood and take something else first? How bad is it if someone else takes the wood before it gets back to me and I don't have any wood this turn? What are the chances that's going to happen based on what other players want, their constraints and what I know about their playstyle? If they do take the wood from me, what's my backup plan and how much less optimal is that for me? If I play it safe and take the wood now, what is likely to be available for my other worker when it gets back to me?

Don't pretend there's more to think about with a random event. Maybe you think about it more than you do with non-random events, but that's because you choose to, not because there's not anything to think about. If anything you probably go through the thought process with random events because the calculation is easier and you don't have to deal with factors that are hard to quantitatively evaluate (the odds that you'll roll x are easier to determine than the odds that Bob will do x).
If every one of Agricola's production spots had a randomized output, there would be a LOT more to think about.

Pete (stands pat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

yep - good thread and I mostly agree with the post there about the "Gyp Factor" in that it somewhat parallels my suggestion about whether the opponent is a deck of cards or dice ,vs a human opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Nice summary of why I much prefer Agricola. Seems like when I play Stone Age, my workers have a value of 1 pip, while my opponents' workers have a value of 6 pips.

Probability is a harsh mistress.

In Agricola, people of all colors and ages are equal. Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

More dice does not improve luck. To improve luck you need a fixed pool from which to draw that is finite...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.