$35.00
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, should I play monster choices (within the rules, of course) to benefit the heroes, or the monsters? Say, for example, there are two heroes that are equally valid to attack - but one has much lower health. Does the monster do the smart thing and attack the weaker hero? Or do the heroes get the advantage?

One particular element of the game I've noticed this mattering for is moving to block. In the live-overlord game, a common strategy would be to position monsters to block corridors/doorways. In Road to Legend a simple 1-tile placement can make a big difference.

How do you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, are you following the rule that in the case of a tie, the monster will attack the closest hero?

There's also a section in the RtL rules that covers this kind of decision-making. In short, it says it's up to you and whether you want to make the game tougher or easier for yourself. We play in a way that benefits the heroes, as we consider the decision of how to make the monsters act part of the tactics of the game (the alternative would be more like role-playing to us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to heros benifit, as if you every fall behind the peril effect will pick up any slack

e,g attacking hero with most health and armour or attacking a pet instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I do is roll a dice for decisions like these. For example, monster attacks hero X on 1-3 and hero Y on 4-6. This way I feel I don't cheat the game one way or the other and I like the suspense it provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out the nearest hero rule - we were following that, but more often than not there's a tie.

I think you're right about the tactics vs rpg type of game that results from the two choices - and maybe Ken's dice rolling solution splits the difference.

I think I will mostly play to benefit the heroes, without having the monsters do anything really stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
8 Weeks to BorderCon!!! And the Geeklist is up...go find it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the tutorial today for the first time and I went with the smartest move for the monsters as if I was an overlord.

But I think I will employ the dice rolling method to mix things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.