Popular Tags: [View All]
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,

could you help me finding a solitaire game (preferably with fantasy theme, but not necessarily), which can be played in a long term , leveling a character, remembering my stats for next play - some sort of long term campaign. I know Shadowrun: Crossfire, but is there another game like this?

- the longer total experience will be, the better (I don't care about length of individual plays)
- I prefer board game before card game, but latter is also OK
- fantasy theme welcomed

thanks for you replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven although it is a card game (with a map and dungeons to setup using tiles and miniatures) and not released yet! A true legacy game - what you do in one scenario impacts the game, and characters develop and even retire, unlocking new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Flückiger
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe The 7th Continent is your thing. Although not fantasy themed and not out yet. It has however multiple characteristics that would fit your description, like improving your character (by building your action deck), save game mechanic, huge world...

Also, I can recommend Robinson Crusoe as a solo experience. It doesn't have the "save game" mechanic that you're looking for, but it's split into multiple chained scenarios that you can play one by one (and there are expansions)... however, also not fantasy themed and no levelling involved :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
The Great Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not board game, check out Warrior Heroes: Legends.

WHL is designed for solo play. It's a cross between a lite RPG without a GM and miniatures, but you can play with anything.

It has a long campaign experience if you want that. The game also has a strong narrative each time you play your character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two that spring to mind are Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, although it's a card game and campaign isn't extensive (at the moment), and Descent: The Road to Legend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders is sci-fi but with a linked story that allows for some degree of character development.

Ares also has Sword & Sorcery coming up that is a fantasy version of GD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of two (good!) soloable games that have such a long-term campaign and character advancement:
- Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game: this features map tiles and minis.
- Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game: this is (just) a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
1. Dungeon Saga with Adventurer's Companion - fantasy theme; miniatures; tiles; character progression; long campaign
2. Descent 2.0 with app Road to Legend - fantasy theme; miniatures; tiles; character progression; long campaign
3. Shadows of Brimstone - co-op in the box; fantasy/western theme; miniatures; tiles; character progression; long campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Hero Realms but you will have to wait until 2018.

You can still late pledge on Kickstarter.

I second The 7th Continent. There is also Castle Assault although I have no idea how good it is.

And, as bad as I think it is, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.

These are all card games but I don't play anything else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a small PnP card game called (Your Name Here) and the Argonauts that has progression over multiple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Hero Realms but you will have to wait until 2018.

You can still late pledge on Kickstarter.

I second The 7th Continent. There is also Castle Assault although I have no idea how good it is.

And, as bad as I think it is, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.

These are all card games but I don't play anything else

Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game has simple rules (flip a card, utilize your current hand and roll dice) but the character progression is great. Also, it scales for 1 player whereas with a lot of "solo" games you end up playing multiple characters.

I kickstarted Massive Darkness hoping that will fit the need but it isn't out until early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
GGJC wrote:

Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game has simple rules (flip a card, utilize your current hand and roll dice) but the character progression is great. Also, it scales for 1 player whereas with a lot of "solo" games you end up playing multiple characters.

The app version that just came out removes all the overhead of having to create the decks, which is a nice time savings. However I do find I'm more willing to forfeit a "run" when things really start going downhill in the app than I would be in real life

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:

The app version that just came out removes all the overhead of having to create the decks, which is a nice time savings. However I do find I'm more willing to forfeit a "run" when things really start going downhill in the app than I would be in real life

Makes sense, you do not have to shuffle everything again so it's less painful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is pretty enjoyable, if you're okay with the fact that the game is very simple and repetitive from a mechanical standpoint. Move your character to one of the open locations, draw the next encounter from the top of its deck, defeat the monster/disarm the trap/acquire the item by rolling a check using the appropriate die for the skill your character is going to use, add any card effects you've played, discard cards if you take damage, refill your hand to the number of cards on your character sheet, repeat until you've either defeated the villain, died (run out of cards to draw), or run out of time.

There is, however, a lot of content, and a good variety of character powers, skills, and attributes, and you'll spend many hours running a character through an entire adventure path, with plenty of items, upgrades, and monsters to mix into the game as you progress through each adventure deck. I've started playing Sajan the monk, and his main parlor trick is being able to cycle through blessings like crazy and deal huge amounts of damage in otherwise unarmed combat. The game is perfectly playable solo with only a single character, though some characters probably don't work as well without a group to make up for their weaknesses, or to take advantage of their supporting abilities. You can always play multi-handed if you want.

The fact that the game has a great deal of content, and also isn't a real brain-burner both work to make it feel more like a no-DM RPG than most of the minis-and-maps co-ops I've played, though. And you can house-rule out the permanent death if you want a more light-hearted experience (characters get KOed or incapacitated until the end of the scenario; decide whether or not you want to award them scenario completion if any of the surviving group completes it).

Some other recommendations:

Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game - Finally adds a proper campaign to the game system. Start with this one, and get the other three if you want more characters/monsters/adventures.

Descent with the free Road to Legend app - Looking forward to trying this out, and I've heard a lot of good things. I've had Descent for a couple of years, but hardly ever played it, since it requires a DM.

Galaxy Defenders - Don't have much experience with this, but it's got some manner of campaign system and character upgrades.

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower - Pricey, and you're going to spend many hours assembling all the minis. The game system is quick and easy to understand, and there's some character progression, but it appears limited to gaining a few new skill and treasure cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trulog wrote:

Also, I can recommend Robinson Crusoe as a solo experience.

Especially with the Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1) expansion, for a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for RC Voyage of the Beagle, but you need to know how to play the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is pretty enjoyable, if you're okay with the fact that the game is very simple and repetitive from a mechanical standpoint.
Yeah, I'd argue, it's enjoyable, if you also enjoy watching paint dry... (No, really, it _can_ be interesting, especially, if you used too much paint - it creates interesting patterns! devil)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. There's nothing better when it comes to character progression through a long story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wichura
msg tools
What about Imperial Settlers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.