Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the Basic Game (and won!) last night and a few things came up:

1) How does one move the guardian off of glyphs 4 and 5 so that those glyphs can be collected? I killed the guardian on the fourth glyph, and got very lucky that the first level 2 spell I drew was Abjure and the next player was immediately able to use the library.

2) If I have drawn Master's Study as the room for the fifth glyph, does the game start with one or two guardians in the room?

3) Can someone verify the contents of the location deck? I have two Cursed Rooms, which doesn't feel right, but as this deck is a subset of the 17 rooms, it is hard to know if that is correct or not. The rooms that don't have location cards are Outer Dimension, Library, Lost Room and Mana Crystal. If I'm missing one, can someone describe it, so that I can create a mock up while I sort out parts?

4) Are the number of imps capped at 16? (I got up to 15 of them on the board at one point.) When imps have to use their move action and multiple imps are in a room, is a location card drawn for the group or individually.

5) Dimension Twist spell: Is the direction of rotation up to the player? If this strands a player due to the room now having no exits, what happens to that character?

6) What are the character tokens used for? Are they just alternatives to the minis? They weren't in the components list.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Lastri
Italy
Verona
flag msg tools
mbmb
1) Nova them, abjure them or anything else that destroy/move them.

2)I'm pretty sure that the glyph setup rules state that some rooms must be redrawn, like Master's Study.

3) Maybe this evening i'll verify.

4) Don't know

5) Yes. He can cast the same spell, use a teleportation spell or spend a mana (no action required) to get back to Mana Crystal.

6) Don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle Farm
msg tools
Quote:
If I have drawn Master's Study as the room for the fifth glyph, does the game start with one or two guardians in the room?

See para (2) on page 9 - "ignore the room setup text on the Master's Study and the Outer Dimension"

Fire uses one random direction for all activated fire, but since Imps don't have a similar rule I have been using a separate card to randomise each Imp.

Quote:
Can someone verify the contents of the location deck?

The official Tabletop Simulator DLC mod has the following location deck:

Warded, Unstable, Workshop, Well, Study, Lab, Awakened, Scrying, Hoard, Planar, Flux, Holy, two Cursed (=14 cards)

So no Lost, Mana, Outer, or Library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You pretty much have to kill them (in the basic game, once all spells are in other options may become available)

2) Master's Study doesn't get a guardian in the basic game.

3) Your location deck sounds correct. The cursed room is more likely to come up (It's cursed!). Some rooms don't have cards for various reasons - for instance it'd be unfair to lose a game because a threat spawned directly into the mana crystal and cost a mana. Conversely it'd be unsatisfying to win because key threats spawned in the lost room and couldn't get out.

4) In theory the components aren't supposed to represent a cap. Sounds like you had a lot out! Are you removing them when they try to steal from a source and no wizard has a glyph of that type?

5) Helpful hand of fate allows you to determine which way any unspecified action is resolved, including the dimension twist spell. A stranded player can escape by spending a mana to die and respawn at the mana crystal.

6) The tokens are just alternatives, you don't need to use them. You could also use them to track who's who in "Botchy Snatchers" if you don't feel like getting up and switching chairs when you change bodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
5) Helpful hand of fate allows you to determine which way any unspecified action is resolved, including the dimension twist spell. A stranded player can escape by spending a mana to die and respawn at the mana crystal.

Technically, the way the rulebook is written, the recall rule is introduced in the full game and isn't available in the basic scenario. I assume from your comment that was not a specific design intent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oop, I wasn't thinking about the basic scenario.

The intended solution there is to use the spell that trapped you to become free again. The basic scenario doesn't have the "only one shared glyph" restriction so it's viable for other players to grab the glyphs necessary to repeat the spell and free you (If they haven't already got them).

That being said, I wouldn't object to someone house ruling emergency recall in the base game, it's just another one of a lot of things that aren't introduced at that stage to avoid overloading new players with too much info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
1) You pretty much have to kill them (in the basic game, once all spells are in other options may become available)

2) Master's Study doesn't get a guardian in the basic game.

3) Your location deck sounds correct. The cursed room is more likely to come up (It's cursed!). Some rooms don't have cards for various reasons - for instance it'd be unfair to lose a game because a threat spawned directly into the mana crystal and cost a mana. Conversely it'd be unsatisfying to win because key threats spawned in the lost room and couldn't get out.

4) In theory the components aren't supposed to represent a cap. Sounds like you had a lot out! Are you removing them when they try to steal from a source and no wizard has a glyph of that type?

6) The tokens are just alternatives, you don't need to use them. You could also use them to track who's who in "Botchy Snatchers" if you don't feel like getting up and switching chairs when you change bodies.

1) That was the route I went.
2) Ignore room text, duh. Silly me.
3) Glad to know.
4) They were spawning far from glyphs and my wizards were avoiding them. It was them finally getting to a glyph that helped keep their numbers in check.
5) I'll add that as a house rule for the Basic game. If this room had been turned the other way, the character would have had no glyphs left, leaving them unable to use other character's glyphs to recast the spell.
6) Good to know. Haven't made it through the Grimoire yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.