6 Posts

D-Day at Peleliu» Forums » General

Subject: Difficult game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmb
This game seems very difficult. Is there anyone who has managed to win yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambroz Podkoritnik
Slovenia
Velenje
Europe
flag msg tools
mb
Try using this balance adjustment:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1584361/designers-play-bala...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Spessato
msg tools
Impossible to win with standard rules, very hard with proposed rules: but it is a great game, fun, and I return to play it even if I have lost my hope to win, someday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I find myself on the opposite end of the spectrum.
I am disappointed that I bought Peleliu, and if I had bought it first, I would not have bought any of the others. It has left a horrid taste in my mouth. The lack of the need for depth markers in this game makes it just a tedious march forward while flipping counters and swapping out counters as your units bleed on the march toward catastrophic loss.

I hate Peleliu. I gave it a 4 rating, because I *might* play it again, but I probably won't. If you know anyone who wants to buy a copy, message me. I'll sell it cheap.

Tarawa is my favorite, then Enemy Action: Ardennes, then D-Day at Omaha. All of those are winnable and have much variation between games. Peleliu is always the same game: How many turns before I suffer catastrophic loss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sandwichman wrote:
This game seems very difficult. Is there anyone who has managed to win yet?

A mistake I made in my first few plays was removing disruption from ALL Japanese counters at the end of their phase, (like you remove all disruption from all marines at end of marine phase).

I didn't realise you only had to remove disruption for those colours on the Jap fire-card.

Correcting that mistake massive difference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that doesn't stop after reaching catastrophic losses? I note the "official" loss, but I always keep playing to see what happens. Sometimes crazy amazing things happen, a hero enters play, I get a critical barrage or lucky turn of events, and my guys make a comeback and I creep back above the catastrophic loss line. And no matter what happens, I get to play deeper into the game, invade the airfield, clear the beaches, and see the battle through to its bitter end. Being told to stop playing at a magic number printed in the rules is counter to my sense of honor and duty. The soldiers, under my command, play to the end.

I do the same thing in DDAOB, because I like to see how the game changes when new enemy actions come into play and I hit the high ground. I only stop plying when I feel like my chances of coming back are near zero. But I never stop due to a "number". I find the games more fun that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.