BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: LCG Dilemma rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and myself have been looking out for a new game for quite a while now (it's been a while so we have something to spend again )
Recently we came in touch with LCG's (until recently quite unknown to us) and this gametype really speaks to us. But after watching some gameplayvideo's (especially FFG's explanation video's, which are great) we are have big doubts between 2 games.

Warhammer 40K: Conquest was the first game i came across of which i simply loved the gameplay, and the theme was also interesting (though I am not very familiar with the franchise). My girlfriend on the other hand wasn't a big fan of the theme.
After some further browsing I basically 'fell' into A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (2nd edition), a game where the theme is definatly both our cup of tea and we also like the gameplay.
Both of us still slightly prefer the gameplay of Conquest, and myself is somewhat scared GoT might be 'TOO strategic and complex' (which makes sense if you look at the storyline of the novels).
So we have a few questions towards the community to maybe help us choose.

- Any people familiar with both (or either one of the two) that could give the main pro's and con's of the games?
- Is there a big difference in gameplay between the standard decks in the main boxes? (I feel Conquest satisfies this more the GoT)
- Is the theme a reason to work as a dealbreaker in these games, or does it have less influence then the gameplay? (as a sidenote, my significant other doesn't "dislike" the theme of conquest, but is rather "less interested" in it).

thanks beforehand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you will have a better luck finding an answer in the suggestion forum?

(i never played the two games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find GoT to be snowbally a great deal of the time, and even the serious players I know acknowledge that is an issue.

However, GoT will play >2 players, and that usually tempers the snowball issues (since everyone will just beat on you), whereas Conquest only plays 2.

I like the "spatial" sense that Conquest (and Netrunner) has, and that's one of the big selling points to me. That big "mess of critters having a melee" that reminds me of Magic always sort of lends a feel of "who has the most toys wins" where positioning and placement add a lot of layers to Conquest (and Netrunner).

If you're really into GoT as a property, though, you'll get a lot more mileage out of it game-wise. I know people who love it say all the cards are super-thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus I imagine GOT is going to be supported longer than Conquest just because of the popularity, but I could be wrong.

I don't think you worry about complexity based on the show and novels. Having played most of Fantasy Flights LCG's all of them are pretty complicated and I wouldn't say any one is a lot more than any others. It is what you make of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to sidetrack the discussion too much, but what are you looking for in an LCG? That might help people give you better advice.

I have not played either of them, but I have played a few other ones. Maybe I or someone else can suggest another LCG for you to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.