Hide
9 Posts

Darkness Sabotage» Forums » General

Subject: What new thing does this game bring to the table? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
morgenstond morgenstond
msg tools
What are the fresh takes on Dungeon Crawlers that make backing this worthwhile?

The theme feels fresh enough, but for me that is not enough to justify backing it.

So change my mind! Why is it so splendid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've stated in several other posts, IMO, there really isn't much differentiating the many dungeon crawl-esque games recently being released.

I finally decided specifically on DS due to its theme, art & graphics, minis, and co-op play.

All the new games look awesome. But, nothing totally unique in any of them. Just go with what floats your boat.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DS seems to be some mixture of Descent + Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently struggling between Darkness Sabotage Vampire Hunters ...

Unfortunately, as I saw on the videos, they are strange a little. I don't have a feeling that game is presented to me. Maybe it would be better to hire someone to make a presentation?

VH is doing this in a better was (but the lector is sooooo slow )

Anyway - does anyone is struggling in similar way as I ?

Currently I am leaning forward VH but there is still time

p.s. I cannot get both, need to save some money for Essen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mb
I am feeling the same, Andrzej. You are the one who always posts the same questions I have in the KS comments!

I am actually a backer right now, but I still am not sure if I keep the pledge. I am always in for the game, not for the minis. Theme is great, Dez runs a fantastic campaign, we will get loads of stuff for our bucks... But I am still not sure if the gameplay will be that interesting. I can't feel it in the videos, just like you. Pity there is no third party gameplay runthrough... And "story driven" campaign mode is still a little foggy.

So, yes, I am struggling in the same way as you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
I am feeling the same, Andrzej. You are the one who always posts the same questions I have in the KS comments!

I am actually a backer right now, but I still am not sure if I keep the pledge. I am always in for the game, not for the minis. Theme is great, Dez runs a fantastic campaign, we will get loads of stuff for our bucks... But I am still not sure if the gameplay will be that interesting. I can't feel it in the videos, just like you. Pity there is no third party gameplay runthrough... And "story driven" campaign mode is still a little foggy.

So, yes, I am struggling in the same way as you!

yes, same here... you brought my thoughts on the table.

I'm still in too, but for now with Vampire Hunter there seems a lot of more value, because the campaign is still running well and I expect much more updates/goals/add-ons will follow to enlarge this.

DS struggled in the middle, and we lost money, backers and pace..., seems we'll go now till 170k maybe another goal will follow, but this is the end.
And what we'll get is at least what I expect from that game: 6 Heroes to choose from, a handful bosses (but I still don't like the monsters...) but all the add-oms - campaign, modus, ect... has to be paid extra what bring this to a $200 game - but are have-to's to make this game complete...

I'm not sure if I will stay in..., especially with to many other games now on my backer-list: Vampire Hunter (more value), Evil Dead (game play lacks, but it's evil dead...), Walking Dead: No Sanctuary...

Will make my decision till tomorrow... sunday, before taking some vacation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mb
Let us know how you decided. I am dealing with the game a lot, because I really want to like it, but as of now I don't see that the gameplay will make me that enthusiastic. I need to know more about the gameplay elements that do not deal with slaying demons.

On the other hand, my favourite game of all time (Kingdom Death Monster) did not give away a lot of details in the campaign either and turned out hugely impressive. So it's "no risk no fun"... I am thinking about a pledge of 1$ and see what upcoming reviews or gameplay walk throughs will show us. Then we can decide in the pledge manager.

EDIT: Just went back to the old KD:M KS page. There are two videos, 6 and 16 minutes long, that provide an impressing lot of information. I would totally back it just from watching these two videos. So I have to correct myself - these provided lots and lots of details (that is lacking in the DS campaign).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasil - maybe not the same ones The ones which remine unanswered

Anyway ... I am still struggling.

Darkness have great minis, cool graphics and theme, fighting system is somehow new ( a little, exploding dice, dices) but:

- I feel that campaign is fiddly a little
- videos ... yea, they cannot sell the game for me if I look on the videos
- only 3 enemy models
- main thing is to kill bosses ... hmm that's fine but I am not sure if I want such game

And Vampires:

- Vampires ! But seriously, really - vampires
- many cool ideas, combo attacks, focus system, playing as vampire, crates, etc
- much better videos
- more characters to play
- more enemy type
- elder mechanic.

But it has zombicide fighting system, where the best would be to have a new one. Well, we can't have everything

I am still not sure but leaning towards vampire hunters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hauni Anderson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

I was first into VH but changed a week ago to DS.

If you only take a glance at each game as i did fist VH looks better. But after reading everything at both KS pages and looking att every picture.

I was amazed how beautiful everything is in DS and it has seems to have more depth with its campaign. Just look at Kang! who wouldnt want that on his/her gaming table! The guy runing the show is great, commmunty is awesome. Best i'v seen on kickstarter. (might not say much tho)

I think VH is really similar to Zombicide, it's a light dungeon crawler. They have for instance made it easy to implement alot of characters by doing them simple, with few stats. just a health number. All they need to implement a new character is a ID card and a miniature.

If you check the charchter sheet in DS there are more to it, therefore more complicatred to just add more of them.

There is actually 5 different monsters in DS. 2 SG:s. plus there is also altars in game. There

There are some great SGs in DS, engraved dice just unlocked in social SG!, there is a new addon coming up @ 48 hours to go of campaign. It will be huge! Probably some more charachters.

I do like som stuff in VH tho, vampires looks great! some of the characters looks great!

Ah well need to sleep. Keep an eye on the campaign the next 48 hours!

/H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.