Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can happen that the resources favor one player, that's true. But first, it only happens rarely. And secondly, you can still catch up with either the yellow buildings that let you buy for one, with yellow buildings that provide resources, with wonders that produce resources, or with the age II cards that provide two resources.

I've won games where I've only acquired 2-3 resource cards and I've lost games where I had the clear majority. I do agree that getting most of the resources early on is an advantage. But it only happens in around 10% of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I crushed my opponent with a scoring difference about 40... having no grey or brown cards. Does it count? ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you observe the rule that discarding a card for money nets you (2 + Number of yellow buildings) coins each time ?

If your opponent gets the lead/monopoly on a given resource, make sure to either:
- get the monopoly on another resource (one they can't produce through one of their wonders)
- get the "buy for 1" yellow card for this resource.

As the others have mentioned, you can very well win with few or no resources in the Duel version (far moreso than the original 7W), so if you don't manage to do this, you may have skipped over one of the rules by accident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If your opponent buys most of the resource cards, chances are you're getting a strong start in all the four other colours. Which means that cards will cost you less, give you more, and set you up for victory.

Of course, the last game we had I won by denying resources to my opponent, getting the strategy token and then getting into her capital.

But there also was that time when I couldn't buy a single resource card and I won gathering six scientific symbols.

Whatever happens, it feels like you have a chance to come out victorious, in this game. Just, be on your toes all the time. There are a lot of ways to come back. And a lot of ways to f*ck up, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Clicked on this thread for the obvious princess bride reference, just to find someone crying about a game cause one round of it did not go so great then calling it broken for that fact. If you want to make such statements try playing it more than once. If the game turns out that way every time then I would say at least one of the two of you do play like "shit", and you should blame the fault on yourself not on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He does claim that:

ozofriendly wrote:
My partner, Em and I have played more than a few dozen times.

However, I find this difficult to believe. A few dozen times? That's more than 36 (or 48) plays. I've managed to play this game quite a bit since I got it 8 months ago and I have 16 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bennett
msg tools
I am literally overjoyed to report that, like only an infinitesimal number of 7WD players - none of whom have communicated with me, my family or associates at any time - who have expressed unfounded, dare I say unconstitutional, doubts about 7WD's perfect design, I have misinterpreted the "Yellow:Buy for 1" rule.

Please be assured that when I say 'misinterpreted', I am not suggesting that the rule book - which is perfect of course - need clarify a point which should be obvious to all. I am merely referring to my own feeble-minded inadequacy.

I hope you can find it in your cold hearts to forgive this apalling transgression. I promise never again to use hyperbole, exaggeration or humour to enjoin others to a cause that is, I fully accept, tantamount to treasonous dissent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Excuses accepted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
ozofriendly wrote:
I fully accept, tantamount to treasonous dissent.

Pah! Using obscure words won't save you from your shame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozofriendly wrote:
I am literally overjoyed to report that, like only an infinitesimal number of 7WD players - none of whom have communicated with me, my family or associates at any time - who have expressed unfounded, dare I say unconstitutional, doubts about 7WD's perfect design, I have misinterpreted the "Yellow:Buy for 1" rule.

Please be assured that when I say 'misinterpreted', I am not suggesting that the rule book - which is perfect of course - need clarify a point which should be obvious to all. I am merely referring to my own feeble-minded inadequacy.

I hope you can find it in your cold hearts to forgive this apalling transgression. I promise never again to use hyperbole, exaggeration or humour to enjoin others to a cause that is, I fully accept, tantamount to treasonous dissent.

My cold heart does not forgive but it's willing to forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
ozofriendly wrote:

How'd you misinterpret it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bennett
msg tools
clydeiii wrote:
How'd you misinterpret it?

We thought that the yellow structures with the resource/coin icons only reduced the base cost of the resource to 1: that additional costs based on one's opponent's resources was a secondary effect that still applied.
We overlooked the incidental clarification of these structures' behaviour in the rule-book altogether and saw no need to refer to the separate, quick-reference page for further clarification of the icon.

I have proposed in the Rules forum that future prints of the rule-book might include a specific example of the use of this structure.

We've played the correct rule several times since, and we're enjoying the game a lot more.
That is to say the game seems far less likely to swing heavily in favor of one player during the first age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.