Subject: The Ritual: Increase 1d10 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
Hello,

i am a little late to the claustrophobia party, but here is a question (or thought) a could not find a answer for:
In "The Ritual" the 1d10 is increased at the end of human players phase. Doesn't make it more sense to increase the die at the end of the demon players phase (end of turn)? If the redeemer is still alive after turn 9, this would give the demon one last chance to kill him during turn 10. As it is now, the human does not even have to play turn 10, as he will automatically win.

Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:
Hello,

i am a little late to the claustrophobia party, but here is a question (or thought) a could not find a answer for:
In "The Ritual" the 1d10 is increased at the end of human players phase. Doesn't make it more sense to increase the die at the end of the demon players phase (end of turn)? If the redeemer is still alive after turn 9, this would give the demon one last chance to kill him during turn 10. As it is now, the human does not even have to play turn 10, as he will automatically win.

Any thoughts on this?

It would only make more sense to give the Demon an additional turn if you felt the Humans had an overwhelming advantage with the rules as written and the Demon needed help. I think it works fine as is.

Thematically, the completion of the Ritual is supposed to be a powerful event. From the Demon's perspective, it's like a bomb going off - once it explodes there's no opportunity to react, you can't undo it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply.

Well for me, thematically everything happens in parallel - the redeemer chanting his spells while the demons try to cut his throat. It's just a concession to the game that we are doing things in sequence. The last rounds of "The Ritual" are the most intense and stopping in the middle of a turn feels as if have lost one potentially interesting round.

I have not played this scenario often enough to judge the balance, but the demon managed to score some wins so its problaly better than its reputation. For now i will leave the d10 as it is, even if it makes me feel a little bit uneasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:
Well for me, thematically everything happens in parallel - the redeemer chanting his spells while the demons try to cut his throat. It's just a concession to the game that we are doing things in sequence.

Of course playing things in sequence is a concession, and a necessary one if you're going to have a quick and clean game like Claustrophobia. I'm assuming you accept normal combat - if a Human smites a trog that trog won't be around to dish out a return blow in the subsequent Demon turn. I think the idea in the Ritual is exactly the same - completion kills all the Demon warriors as surely as if they'd been clubbed down in melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.