Battlestar Galactica» Forums » General

Subject: How easily will you vote to Brig a player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my group has always been a fan of hidden traitor games (Resistance, Dead of Winter, Shadows over Camelot) and recently we've been getting back into BSG. We're all experienced gamers and have played around 5-10 games of BSG. We always play with 5 players.

One thing we're currently struggling with is how much evidence is needed to brig another player. There are some obvious times (e.g. the only player who draws Piloting cards puts in 3 negative Piloting cards into a skill check) but as a group we're having a hard time brigging most other behaviours. We tend to act on strong evidence in these kinds of games, and so attempts to brig are quite rare. Unfortunately that leads to Cylons waltzing around the ship and using their reveal powers.
Additionally, once someone is in the brig, how much do you need to be convinced before they are released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm by no means a BSG expert, and I'll say right away that we never play "optimally", as that just makes the game a boring puzzle. In my experience, Brigging an innocent player doesn't feel all that bad, really. Yes, they are limited in skill checks, but on their turn they don't get a crisis either, while still getting all their skill cards. So we're quite liberal with the brigging when suspicions arise, also because it's just fun :D It's probably more from Quorum cards than the board action though. Getting out takes a LOT more convincing. It's possibly a huge waste of both an action and tons of skill cards. All in all it is VERY dependent on the game situation, though. Why is the person under suspicion, are there other revealed Cylons already, how did the person get sent to the Brig in the first place, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting out of the brig in our group is really hard. One bad day all human plyaers ended up in the brig, while all the cylons were outside.
Getting in, if there were evidence like you mentioned is pretty sure. I do not think we have ever put anyone in the brig on the assumption they might be a cylon. Usually crysis cards do the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting the wrong person in the brig is worse than allowing a Cylon to use its reveal power in most cases imo. So I think you are right in being very conservative with brigging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No crises, btw, is actually a *bad* thing for humanity most of the time. You need those jump icons to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
No crises, btw, is actually a *bad* thing for humanity most of the time. You need those jump icons to win the game.

When there are no Cylons around, skipping a Crisis is good for humanity - as a team, you get 5 extra skill cards (with limits on using them) and an extra action (you would get an extra move, but the Brig blocks that) after every few Crises.

Where it becomes bad for humans is when there are Cylons active and you end up with more Cylon activity per Crisis.

Personally, my view is that if someone wants to trigger the Admiral's Quarters (or the Airlock), they're welcome to, but I'm not going to get involved unless there's sufficiently compelling evidence either way.

When it comes to letting someone out, it depends why they were locked up in the first place. If they got caught by a Crisis, locked up by a known Cylon, or Brigged for being Boomer at Sleeper, then I'm happy to help them out by default. If they were arrested for a reason (whether I supported it or not) then my default is to leave them locked away until and unless there's a solid reason to release them.

Last game I played in person, there was one player who got locked up twice and Pardoned twice by two different human Presidents - eventually, it turned out he was a Cylon after all, but he'd been playing strongly pro-human the entire time, planning to spring his shocking betrayal on us at the last minute, except he was caught by surprise when humans suddenly won. The irony was that if he'd just stayed in the Brig and kept passing - literally contributing nothing to the game - the Cylons would probably have won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Last game I played in person, there was one player who got locked up twice and Pardoned twice by two different human Presidents - eventually, it turned out he was a Cylon after all, but he'd been playing strongly pro-human the entire time, planning to spring his shocking betrayal on us at the last minute, except he was caught by surprise when humans suddenly won. The irony was that if he'd just stayed in the Brig and kept passing - literally contributing nothing to the game - the Cylons would probably have won.

The many ironies of the game:
--some hidden cylons end up helping too much that they make for better humans than the humans themselves! wow For one such game, our strategy was to make sure we don't push the player to reveal, else he won't hold back and will switch to harmful actions now
Some people cite Exodus as having a 4 vs. 1 game (due to the one remaining Loyalty card being a undealt cylon card)... well, this is the original 4 vs. 1 case :O

--we actually wanted to get a cylon out of the Brig on his turn, as we needed his crisis, and hopefully the jump icon on it to win us the game instead of having to deal with cylon ships for another activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My groups are very trigger shy at the Brig in Galactica and evicting people from the colony in Dead of Winter. That's probably a major reason why we are so absolutely horrible as the humans in Galactica, the Cylon only usually ever ends up in the Brig by accident (getting two Mutiny cards for instance). Same with Dead of Winter, our win rate is pretty low in part because we never weed out the traitor.

I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's because most of the people I play with aren't too confrontational and like full co-ops so are reluctant to accuse someone of lying? Hard to say. Still love Galactica, though! We just have to turn the human resource dials up one notch each to even things out because we're so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Dektyarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of our games cylon reveals before we get enough evidence to brig him, or times reveal so we have more pressing matters then use AQ (if he is still on Galactica after we clear the mess, we usually brig him, but it's rare).

At DoW, at other hand, we usually exile somebody pretty quick (if you play 3+ survivors card, I don't care if you are a traitor - I definitely don't want you to do this again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Well. From my POV in a 5P game where I am not a Cylon and we are after the sleeper face, everyone else has a 50% base chance of being a Cylon. I am not looking for reason to brig them, I am looking for reasons not to brig them

Also, most of the time our unrevealed Cylons will actively be trying to frame a human. So the level of paranoia is pretty high. We usually end up with at least one human in the brig during the game, but on the other hand rarely have Cylons reveal outside of the brig.

Still, humans mostly lose our game. But we have a lot of fun on the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it depends on which character is being targeted. Military leaders are extremely easy to brig because they naturally have fewer cards to defend the brig check. Additionally, if another player stands to benefit from the brigging, such as gaining the admiralty--they will usually not sabotage the skill check because they are thwarting their potential promotion up the military ranks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.