Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: USS Venture Spoilers (from Facebook) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Posting this here because I saw that no-one else has. Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules.

Credit for these photos must go to Nicholas Ramacciotti from the Italian community (for the photos) and Marco Buonomo (for posting them to the Facebook group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, very nice with 2 non-unique card which I feel warrants buying 2 of these for myself; also for some reason reading Galaxy Wing Squadron brings a smile to my face.

I am a bit aurprised we didn't see a reprint of the Dorsal card from the Enterprise E here with the Galaxy on it instead but that is a minor thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually really glad that this pack is moving away from Dorsals in favor of the ship ability and APA. I get why a lot of orthodox folks think that every Galaxy/Intrepid/Sovereign should have a readily accessible 360, but that just doesn't make for very interesting gameplay. Let's have more cards that care about arcs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
This is a really good expansion for Fed as it has nothing gamebusting or even top tier. Just a bunch of thematic cards.

I do love the ship text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this pack. need to make sure I get a couple of them for fun. it is kind of curious that there are no [crew] upgrades. curious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very solid pack full of good things without being overpowered. WK has been doing new expansions exceptionally well lately. As a Klingon player, I was incredibly happy with the I.K.S. Drovana. Federation players must be very happy with this pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
This is a very solid pack full of good things without being overpowered. WK has been doing new expansions exceptionally well lately. As a Klingon player, I was incredibly happy with the I.K.S. Drovana. Federation players must be very happy with this pack.

Agreed, It seems like the release delays have been so Wizkids can play test more and to make them more compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only baffling choice is the inclusion of Donald Varley, the captain of the USS Yamato. Given that nothing else about this pack is particular to the Venture, it's curious why they just didn't make this the Yamato- everything else could be kept the same.

I suppose maybe they want to hold the Yamato for an OP release at some point, maybe if there's an Iconian Gateway inspired OP but otherwise...

Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
The only baffling choice is the inclusion of Donald Varley, the captain of the USS Yamato. Given that nothing else about this pack is particular to the Venture, it's curious why they just didn't make this the Yamato- everything else could be kept the same.

I suppose maybe they want to hold the Yamato for an OP release at some point, maybe if there's an Iconian Gateway inspired OP but otherwise...

Oh well.

It's probably tough to think up a special ability for a ship that was in pieces whenever we saw her bridge and didn't do anything except blow up. Frm what we saw on screen a generic Galaxy is even better that the Yamato.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
Again, a very nice pack. It has cards that I really like and cards that I find useless, however I consider this a good mixture

Donald Varley - I really love the Captain, free actions with no negative consequences are always welcome.

Maximum Warp - I don't like it. It may be useful in certain situations, but usually I don't want to do 2 straight maneuvers, I prefer Engage. But it is a tech, so maybe.

Additional Phaser Arrays - This seems really strong to me. It's curious that nowadays my Federation ships don't have enough weapon slots: Type 8 Phasers, Upgraded Phasers and now this one

High-Capacity Deflector Shield Grid - Quite a mouth full, but nice. 5 Point discard to cancel 2 dice is OK.

Galaxy Wing Squadron - Nope. Thematic but for this to be useful I would have to run multiple Galaxy class ships. It has more range than Hayes but still I don't like it.

Computer Core - Converts a crew or weapon slot into a tech slot. The action is very weak and I don't see myself ever using this action. If it was passive with a once per round limitation maybe. For a tech slot, I prefer Systems Upgrade but that is a card from a prize pack. It's like B'Elanna Torres who adds a tech and weapon slot for 4 points. This one only adds the tech slot but has the flexibility to fill a weapon slot instead of a crew slot for +1 SP. I think it's overpriced.

USS Venture - Nice ship ability, the downside is that it is a Galaxy class, which are really not very maneuverable and only have a 90° front (and rear) arc.

This pack should have included some really cool upgrades that are exclusive to the Galaxy class. Galaxy Wing Squadron is not enough. I would have liked a variant of the Dorsal Phaser Array that is exclusive to the Galaxy class and better than the original one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:

Oh well.

It's probably tough to think up a special ability for a ship that was in pieces whenever we saw her bridge and didn't do anything except blow up. Frm what we saw on screen a generic Galaxy is even better that the Yamato.

Well, not exactly. I mean the Yamato was the Enterprise sister ship, so she was presumably just as powerful.

The only reason she is destroyed is by the Iconian computer virus, not by any ship to ship combat. And the only reason the Enterprise isn't similarly destroyed is due to a combination of luck regarding the crew figuring things out at opportune times (better script writers) that is to say that Enterprise's survival was not due to any systemic or structural advantages but the actions of her personnel (it does help to have the only android serving in Starfleet, and a blind guy who reads alot of books). So it wouldn't be reasonable to assume the Yamato was any less powerful than the Enterprise.

By comparison the Venture is only a ship that is talked about and is one of dozens of generic Galaxy classes that appear onscreen during the Klingon and Dominion conflicts. Given how little is said of either ship, the ability chosen here could be just as easily be applied to the Yamato, and at least in that instance the Yamato actually has a picture of a captain to go with the ship. Unlike say, the Thunderchild, Montgolfier, Yeager or a number of other ships we've had.

When it comes down to it though, the only Galaxy-class starship that we spend significant time with on-screen both externally and internally (so we could have some crew to talk about) was the USS Odyssey with Captain Keogh.

In either case, to me it just seems odd not to have had this retail Galaxy be the Venture rather than the Yamato or even the Odyssey. The first of which has a more unique connection to our viewpoint characters and viewpoint ship and the latter of which has more onscreen content than the Venture. And in either case the rest of the cards included above could have been just as easily applied with either of these ship names being used.

Just my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think the Odyssey would have been a better choice. We got to see it and Capt Keogh do more on screen than the Venture. All we really saw of the Venture was her docked at DS9 in Way of the Warrior and fly by and attack Galor class in Sacrifice of Angels. But hey I'll take a new ship over none at all.

I think the Venture's ability is fitting given the few times we saw her on screen. Most of the ship abilities are loosely connected with their screen time. The Venture was ready to come in guns blazing in Way of the Warrior and there is Sisko's reference to the Venture and the Galaxy Wing in Sacrifice of Angels.

There isn't much to base an ability off for the Yamato. Though I think Capt Varley's reference to "playing hide and seek" with a Romulan Warbird could have been used for something. A Galaxy with a Sensor Echo or extra move ability would have been cool.

As for Capt Varley, it is nice to see him in the game, but I don't think the Federation needed another free action captain. However he isn't game breaking either, so it is not that big of a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the cards that come with the Cairo, it would have been nice for the Venture to have a retail variant of Deuterium Tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but this way, you're driven to get BOTH. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:

Of course we are, more ships are always better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:

Of course we are, more ships are always better

Ferengi Rule of Acquistion #242: More is good, all is better. arrrh

I got both coming, because I want a Galaxy repaint and it's about time Jellico got something more than a generic card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chinn
msg tools
mbmbmb
And now the official preview is up on www.startrek.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A more precise link: http://www.startrek.com/article/attack-wing-wave-25-u-s-s-ve...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.