Subject: Ideas for resurrecting survivors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Gesser
Brazil
Florianópolis
SC
flag msg tools

I understand that the ever present risk of death is necessary for the game, but some players may not like to be left out. Mainly because games tend to take a long time. These are some ideas we had to bring back players, but trying not to trivialize death.

Bringing in reinforcements
This idea I found on the classic Zombicide forum.
The player with the dead survivor can bring a new one, at the players staring zone of the map.
But by doing this a new Spawn Zone is added to the game. This way death is punished with more zombies.

Resurrection Ritual
This is an idea we came ourselves.
Survivors join forces to perform a ritual to revive the fallen comrade.
Each survivor at the zone with the dead survivor can "contribute" some of his actions to perform the ritual. At least 10 actions are required (maybe more?) If the active survivor has a "Healing" the number of actions required is cut in half.
The active survivor plays any number of dice. If he gets at least one six (maybe more if considered too easy) the dead survivor gets back to life, with two wounds.
He looses XP equals to the sum of the dice.

Force of will
A variation of the former, to not encumber the other players.
Each time the dead survivor would activate if he was alive he plays two dice. If he gets two six he gets up, with two wounds. If failed, every turn he may add another die.
When resurrected, he loses XP equals to the sum of the die.

Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a "Search for new survivors" system.

When spending an action to search, you only draw an equipment card if all players have at least one survivor. Otherwise you roll a die to find survivors; On 5+, add a new survivor on that square, fresh with no experience. Roll 2 dice if you have a Torch or an effect that would make you draw an extra equipment card.

It takes a few precious search actions to find the new character, which penalizes the players for that death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that idea Dystopian. Pretty straight forward.

Overall, I feel that resurrections (or similar), in any Z-Cide game are a mixed bag. As the OP points out, Z-Cide games are typically "Somewhat" long, and being the only person not playing is no fun--I think this is especially important with new players who may sour to board games in general if they get killed and are just "Out of the game" with no recourse.

The flip side is that, replacing dead Characters makes the game a whole lot easier to win, which, for the purists, can be it's own problem.

What I have typically done with new groups, for the first few games, is allow one "Respawn/ Replacement" if needed.

With experienced players it's not usually as big a deal, and I find that folks will often hang out and keep chatting with the group without a lot of drama.

That said, I think it comes down to reading the group and asking them what they want to do.

I feel that the three initial variants mentioned in the OP are all basically doable. The second idea in particular is very thematic, though it does sort of boarder on a Zombivor like concept--if in reverse since they are wounded instead of coming back stronger.

Again, reading the group is likely the watchword in terms of how punishing a given game should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Honestly, I would have liked it better if the dead survivors come back as zombies to hunt players (instead of the zombivor system in the original games).

In my games, we just play multiple characters. So if one dies, you still have others on the board. My gaming group is small though, just three people. So each of us playing two characters doesn't diminish the game's difficulty. But for us, dead is dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
rican919 wrote:
Honestly, I would have liked it better if the dead survivors come back as zombies to hunt players (instead of the zombivor system in the original games).

Yep I like this as well. The way I have been thinking about it is like this:
A character dies. If by the controlling player's next turn the character hasn't been revived (healed with enchantment) then the character turns into a zombie (plays like an Abomination). If the character does turn into a zombie then the player can pick a new character just like your first option. The differences being that there's no new zombie spawn token (just a new Abomination on board) and the new character's starting level would be one below whatever the character that died was. So if the dead character was at Red he/she would start at orange.

The new survivor could also come into the game at building zone another survivor is in. So it's kinda like he comes into the party because he/she sees a survivor where they are hiding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
cegesser wrote:
Bringing in reinforcements
This idea I found on the classic Zombicide forum.
The player with the dead survivor can bring a new one, at the players staring zone of the map.
But by doing this a new Spawn Zone is added to the game. This way death is punished with more zombies.

I do it similarly to this.

So if someone dies, they get a new character on the next turn on the start space and you add a spawn point to any existing spawn point if this is the seventh survivor or later. In other words, in a 4P game where you're only using one survivor per player, your first two replacements are free.

When it is the seventh or later survivor and a spawn is added, I treat it as a Necromancer escaping. So if you're adding a spawn zone over the instant loss limit, you lose.

You can elect to not respawn if it will lose you the game, but then each player gets one final turn to try to win. So you can avoid an autoloss if you are close to victory, but you can't keep a player out of a game that isn't almost over.

Finally, I let the replacement survivor come into play with the same xp as the survivor being replaced. Having only a starting item for equipment is punishment enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We like to keep the game fun and light so if anyone dies we try to get them back into the game as quickly as possible.

This usually means that anyone in a building will do a search and find a survivor hiding in the building if they chose. Now we have more heroes it is going to be a lot better, in the past, when a dwarf called Sampson died, we happened to find another dwarf called Sampson hiding in a dark corner. Now at least we find a completely new character.

Other players will generally give the new survivor better equipment to get them up to speed.

The only penalty is the loss of an action as the new character starts off in blue again.

We are very casual players, we ignore rules about Dark Rituals, Number of Spawn Points, no armour rolls for abominations etc. We generally die when the board gets over run with zombies, we have two base games mixed in so we don't have extra activations either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
I like the idea of having some extra survivors who can turn up or be discovered later on and then if they run out then that's it.

If you want to make it harder instead. Have spawning Vampires, play exactly like a survivor except they are out to take down the survivors. Unlike zombies they can move wherever they want and pick up equipment. Have 3 actions and 3 wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ale Bat
msg tools
I want to try to use food cards.
Instead to use them to gain 1 xp, a player can choice to find another survivor (using hero box and wolfburg the choice is on a not played character). The new survivor starts in the same area of the found card, without object and experience level equal to the minimum in play at the minimum score. This add search and probably a time between death and replay, but I think this is realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Lepailleur
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
With my group we are using the following house rule, in part because we also feel that killing necromancer is not rewarding enough:

- When a necromancer is killed by a survivor, that survivor receive a “necromancer trophy” (symbolized by any token of your choice next to his/her character sheet).

- A survivor with a necromancer trophy can spend one action to perform a resurrection ritual from inside a building zone free of zombies to resurrect a fallen survivor to full life. The resurrected survivor appears in the zone where the ritual has been performed and set the experience marker at the beginning of the danger level he/she was when the death occurred. All previous equipments are discarded. A free trade can be initiated between all the members inside the zone.

- A survivor with a necromancer trophy can discard it at any time to perform a dark ritual killing all the zombies in the zone and curing all his/her wounds. The abominations are not affected by the dark ritual.
A necromancer token cannot be used to resurrect a fallen survivor if the party is full (in case the dead survivors has been replaced by a “lost survivor”).

- A survivor cannot have more than 1 necromancer trophy at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.