Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
Just got this and punching the chits, but does anyone have an idea how to best sort the chits please?

I usually buy either a plastic container, or make my own foamcore inserts, but so many chits in this I dont know where to start!

Can see the ships are sorted by (player) colour, but do the ships need to be split within each colour?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
pbb76 wrote:
Just got this and punching the chits, but does anyone have an idea how to best sort the chits please?

I usually buy either a plastic container, or make my own foamcore inserts, but so many chits in this I dont know where to start!

Can see the ships are sorted by (player) colour, but do the ships need to be split within each colour?

How many baggies/counter trays do you have?

I devoted four trays to SE4X - one for each color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you get them in the original box? Or, did you have close encounters as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
pbb76 wrote:

How many baggies/counter trays do you have?

I devoted four trays to SE4X - one for each color.

Do you have to split the ship types too? Guess I'm gonna have to play this to see how the game works and how best to split them...

Would rather sort them first to make it easier to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
recon28501 wrote:
Could you get them in the original box? Or, did you have close encounters as well?

Just the base at the moment, though been recommended to get the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a really nice video by

Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for this game and I use his exact system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
pbb76 wrote:
Do you have to split the ship types too? Guess I'm gonna have to play this to see how the game works and how best to split them...

With a tray for each color, I find it most convenient to split by ship types, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
pbb76 wrote:

With a tray for each color, I find it most convenient to split by ship types, yes.

I split them all by ship types too. Of course, there are so many ship types (especially with the expansion) that I mix "similar" (in my mind) counter types together (e.g. mines with minesweepers, all ground units mixed together). So I have 5 plastic trays - one for each color and one for the other bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
vidbot wrote:

Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Excellent find, thank you! I'll have to try to find those shallow trays in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pbb76 wrote:
vidbot wrote:

Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Excellent find, thank you! I'll have to try to find those shallow trays in the UK.

Just FYI, I personally think those trays are much too small to conveniently store the counters. I originally tried it that way, and there just aren't enough compartments.

I use something like this (and I could still use some more compartments)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plano-3600-Adjustable-Pro-Latch-Sto...

The larger number of compartments just make it so much easier to grab the counter you need when playing, without having to dig through a compartment that's got five different ship types in it (especially if you're hyper-anal like me and insist on each new unit placed on the board being numerically sequential to the one that preceded it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
colmmccarthy wrote:
pbb76 wrote:
vidbot wrote:

Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just FYI, I personally think those trays are much too small to conveniently store the counters. I originally tried it that way, and there just aren't enough compartments.

I use something like this (and I could still use some more compartments)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plano-3600-Adjustable-Pro-Latch-Sto...

The larger number of compartments just make it so much easier to grab the counter you need when playing, without having to dig through a compartment that's got five different ship types in it (especially if you're hyper-anal like me and insist on each new unit placed on the board being numerically sequential to the one that preceded it)

Assume you'd have one of those per colour, which I doubt would all fit in the box?

I finished bagging everything up and its a ridiculous amount of chits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb

Found the box-full-of-boxes in Hobby Lobby. Also have seen it on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boreham
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mb
DarrellKH wrote:

Thats awesome, but I'm quite OCD when it comes to keeping games in their right boxes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

This fits back in the box okay? Do you have a model number by chance? I've found when looking for boxes in the past there is a lot of options that all look really similar and it can be hard to find something specific via appearance alone.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pbb76 wrote:
Assume you'd have one of those per colour, which I doubt would all fit in the box?

I finished bagging everything up and its a ridiculous amount of chits!

Oh no, none of it fits in the box I have five plastic boxes sitting on top of the SE4X game box. While it's incredibly functional, it looks like absolute shite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 5 Wake Fishing lure boxes - one per player colour (with similar ships mixed as they have 8 compartments) and one for numbers and other neutral counters. Aliens and space hex markers (deep and homeworld) are bagged. This fits in the box, but the lid will be a bit high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 ziplock bags per color: 1 for the units, planets, space terrain that are setup for turn 1, the other for reinforcement builds.

Another couple of ziplocks for status markers. All fits in original box. Easy to just hand to players and start.

I stopped using Planos because of all the height they take up in the original box. Wasted space and wasted money.

A Ziplock bag costs .00001 cents. A plano box $8.00.

Save money, buy more games.

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.