Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-my...

I scored 25/30 -- not too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
26/30, but I think it should have been 27/30
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The one about upstate New York, the sentence was phrased very weirdly, with essentially a double negative, so I carefully picked the right answer, then was told "No, upstate New York is blah blah blah," and the description exactly matched what I think upstate NY is. I still think if you put together the negative accurately, the choice I made is the correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest screw-up:

I underestimated how dumb Dan Quayle was, because I thought that even he couldn't be so dumb as to think that Chicago was a state. Accidentally, I'm sure he'd contend, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the first question is wrong.

True or false: "Upstate" refers to all of New York except what's outside the Metropolitan Transportation Authority commuter rail.
true
Upstate New York is, at least by the capitol's definition, excludes New York City and Long Island, as well as Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester counties.

(The concept is ok, but the question is worded backwards, so I answered the question instead of what they tried to ask.) Back to quiz now.

27 of 30 and one of the missed ones was a coinflip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never heard of a "slug" in that way, seems more like slang than a geography term though
got a few others wrong (last page didn't load so not sure if I got through them all but I didn't beat 27 for sure). I'm surprised I didn't know the coast thing, I guessed on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
My biggest screw-up:

I underestimated how dumb Dan Quayle was, because I thought that even he couldn't be so dumb as to think that Chicago was a state. Accidentally, I'm sure he'd contend, but still...

And don't forget Obama said he had visited 57 states with one to go during his early campaign. As for underestimating......whistle

28/30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I got the "slug" one wrong. I'd never heard of the term either. And the "midwest" one, I thought Kansas was the West, not the Midwest. And...h'mmmm...can't remember what my other mistake was. (Then the first one, which I consider being right because I knew the answer, but the wording was crazy.)

Edit: Aha, the other one I missed was "driftway." Never heard the term before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
28/30

one of those questions, referred to above, was very poorly worded and I guess i over-thought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
never heard of a "slug" in that way, seems more like slang than a geography term though
got a few others wrong (last page didn't load so not sure if I got through them all but I didn't beat 27 for sure). I'm surprised I didn't know the coast thing, I guessed on that one.

"Slug lines" are definitely a real thing in DC, though nobody who hasn't lived in the capital area should be expected to know it.

I got 28.

Plenty of nits to pick, though. Like, there isn't ONE definition of what comprises the American Midwest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 26/30. I have lived most of my life in Rhode Island and have never heard the term "driftway."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a driftway?

Depends on how heavy the snow is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
28/30 - I too have never heard of a driftway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Baseball's postseason! Will the Indians end professional sport's longest drought? Will the Astros or Nats finally win their first championship? And what about baseball's winningest team--the Dodgers? And don't forget about the Cubs!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no freakin' way that the Midwest includes Nebraska and the Dakotas, at least according to the citizens of those states. Fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
There's no freakin' way that the Midwest includes Nebraska and the Dakotas, at least according to the citizens of those states. Fail.

Some of them DO say they are in the Midwest. Some say Ohio is NOT in the Midwest (and they are wrong).

An interesting article at vox.com about who considers themselves to be in the Midwest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
26/30, but I think it should have been 27/30
The one about upstate New York, the sentence was phrased very weirdly, with essentially a double negative, so I carefully picked the right answer, then was told "No, upstate New York is blah blah blah," and the description exactly matched what I think upstate NY is. I still think if you put together the negative accurately, the choice I made is the correct answer.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking

I still don't know what's going on with the New York one (which I missed). Anyway, is there an official definition? I know people who lived in Greenwich Village who said Midtown was upstate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
28/30 I missed "slug line" and "driftaway"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
pledgehc.com
mbmbmbmbmb
21/30
as a non-native english speaker, so most of the slang and terminology that differed from Dutch was more likely to be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past, learn for the future.
badge
Early August, APM/Stroke on the right side of my brain. Getting better quick! Board games help.
mbmbmbmbmb
30/30 Woooo! A few lucky guesses. I see that Masters in Education is paying off now (at least on internet quizzes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I like the way it introduces the quiz with a dig at Brittany Spears and then almost every question is about US geography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
I like the way it introduces the quiz with a dig at Brittany Spears and then almost every question is about US geography.

Yeah, I didn't do too well because of that. In addition to the questions referred to previously, there was also this one:

Only an ocean can have a coast line, but a previous question made a distinction between seas and oceans. Seas don't have coast lines now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

Some of them DO say they are in the Midwest. Some say Ohio is NOT in the Midwest (and they are wrong).

An interesting article at vox.com about who considers themselves to be in the Midwest...

Soooooo yeahhhhhhhhhhh.....Plenty of us here are far more likely to say the dakotas are part of the midwest than any part where we'd have to drive past Chicago. That attitude is based on population rather than geography though; as its easier to drive to family living west than east but we would say dakotas are more part of the great plains than midwest when you don't factor in people.
To us midwest is wisconsin, minnesota, and northern illinois, after that its just us trying to be more inclusive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

Soooooo yeahhhhhhhhhhh.....Plenty of us here are far more likely to say the dakotas are part of the midwest than any part where we'd have to drive past Chicago. That attitude is based on population rather than geography though; as its easier to drive to family living west than east but we would say dakotas are more part of the great plains than midwest when you don't factor in people.
To us midwest is wisconsin, minnesota, and northern illinois, after that its just us trying to be more inclusive

Interestingly, the Census Bureau has a definition of Midwest:

I used to say any state with a team in the Big 10 is by definition midwest, but obviously can't say that since Penn State and Maryland (!) and Rutgers (!) joined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
21...not the brightest bulb.

Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.