M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently it's impossible to launch a Minecraft game in Win10 and then open it up for other gamers in LAN, like it used to be.
Vice versa, when you start a game in Win7 and open it for LAN, I believe Win10 players can't join either.

Anyone have any news when Mojang/ MS will fix this?

My son's heart is broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know for certain that they plan to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
I don't know for certain that they plan to
surprise shake

That would mean only setting up a server or renting a realm would be an option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try checking if java is allowed firewall access:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/unmodified-mine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or getting everyone on Windows 10, which is I think what MS wants

I think I read somewhere that the Win10 version is a completely different codebase, but I could be remembering that wrong. If that's so, the odds of it being cross compatible with the Win7 version at any point are very low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on if he's running Minecraft on a windows 10 machine or the "windows 10 edition" of minecraft. The latter isn't really the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Apparently it's impossible to launch a Minecraft game in Win10 and then open it up for other gamers in LAN, like it used to be.
Vice versa, when you start a game in Win7 and open it for LAN, I believe Win10 players can't join either.

When did this start? My boys are actually playing Minecraft together on LAN right now. One is playing a map on my desktop with Windows 10, the other joined him on his tablet (Android), and I can join both of them on my phone (Android).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:

When did this start? My boys are actually playing Minecraft together on LAN right now. One is playing a map on my desktop with Windows 10, the other joined him on his tablet (Android), and I can join both of them on my phone (Android).
When I bought a new PC, installed Win7, upgraded, and looked for Minecraft. Will have to check what MC it is. It is 1.10 anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:

I think I read somewhere that the Win10 version is a completely different codebase, but I could be remembering that wrong. If that's so, the odds of it being cross compatible with the Win7 version at any point are very low.
I suspect this is the case.
Per this wiki page, Minecraft for windows 10 is a fork of the pocket edition so that it will run as a universal windows app.
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Windows_10_Edition

There was a time when you could get the Windows 10 edition for free if you owned the original version.

If I remember correctly it is still possible to run classic minecraft on a windows 10 PC, but whether or not you can open it up for LAN play, I don't know as I didn't realise you could do that anyway.

I have had success running a simple minecraft server on my windows 7 desktop PC and having my wife's Windows 10 laptop connect to it. That was almost certainly using the classic version of minecraft on Windows 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.