$5.00
$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
Brian Brian
msg tools
I've never used this site, and I am brand new to this game. My friends showed me, and taught me this game, and out of the two times I've played I won, but I had the same issue each game.

1. A player dies, and they immediately get a dead wizard card. The first time I ended a round to earn a last wizard standing, I took down a player with the standee. Their card says upon death to take the standee from the player who has it. So what happens, and what resolves first? Do I take down the player, take the standee, and then they draw their dead wizard card followed by taking the standee from me? Or do they do their card stuff first resulting in the standee just staying where it is, and then I take it from them?

2. The second matter is that I took out the last player, and they drew a dead wizard card, which stated that they get some benefit (can't remember) like gain 2 blood for each player with a last wizard standing card. The other players started to argue that I immediately get the last wizard standing token, and then their dead wizard card works, while that didn't really make sense to me. I never got to read the rules, but the other players took out the rules and repeated what I was told previously that upon being taken out (death) you immediately draw a dead wizard card. It seems logical that the player would by what I was told the rules say to immediately draw the card and resolve what it says, then with no other players existing that we resolve the round by giving me the last wizard standing token.

3. There was a treasure I got that said that if I pay 3 blood I believe that I can redirect a spell that directly targets me to another foe except the foe who casted the spell. Another player argued that it only works if every part of the spell on a players turn need to target me, or else I couldn't use the treasure. For example, if there were all 3 parts, and the first two targeted me, but the monster card targeted another player, that my treasure wouldn't work. So does this treasure mean that it can redirect each individual step, or must all the steps need to target me because the entire thing is considered one big spell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMyoki wrote:
I've never used this site, and I am brand new to this game. My friends showed me, and taught me this game, and out of the two times I've played I won, but I had the same issue each game.

1. A player dies, and they immediately get a dead wizard card. The first time I ended a round to earn a last wizard standing, I took down a player with the standee. Their card says upon death to take the standee from the player who has it. So what happens, and what resolves first? Do I take down the player, take the standee, and then they draw their dead wizard card followed by taking the standee from me? Or do they do their card stuff first resulting in the standee just staying where it is, and then I take it from them?

They get the standee back. You don't resolve dead wizard cards until the end of the round generally. You take them immediately, but resolve later in all cases I can remember.

MrMyoki wrote:

2. The second matter is that I took out the last player, and they drew a dead wizard card, which stated that they get some benefit (can't remember) like gain 2 blood for each player with a last wizard standing card. The other players started to argue that I immediately get the last wizard standing token, and then their dead wizard card works, while that didn't really make sense to me. I never got to read the rules, but the other players took out the rules and repeated what I was told previously that upon being taken out (death) you immediately draw a dead wizard card. It seems logical that the player would by what I was told the rules say to immediately draw the card and resolve what it says, then with no other players existing that we resolve the round by giving me the last wizard standing token.

Same again, they resolve it after the end of the round, so your new token is included.

MrMyoki wrote:

3. There was a treasure I got that said that if I pay 3 blood I believe that I can redirect a spell that directly targets me to another foe except the foe who casted the spell. Another player argued that it only works if every part of the spell on a players turn need to target me, or else I couldn't use the treasure. For example, if there were all 3 parts, and the first two targeted me, but the monster card targeted another player, that my treasure wouldn't work. So does this treasure mean that it can redirect each individual step, or must all the steps need to target me because the entire thing is considered one big spell?

You pay 3 blood per part of the spell (basically you redirect 1 card that targets you). So if you wanted to redirect all 3 parts, you'd need 9 blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) They happen in the order they occurred in. Your first scenario.

I certainly can't see any reason why they would resolve out of order. As soon as you kill the wizard, you take the standee, and they take a card (happen at the same time). Then they resolve the card.

2) As soon as you kill the (second to last) wizard, you get a Last Wizard standing token, and they get a Dead Wizard card. These things don't take time to resolve, they happen. Then the player would read his Dead Wizard card, it says "Resolve Now" so it would resolve.

3) Unfortunately this card is worded awkwardly. I can kind of see their point, but that interpretation makes the treasure worthless. Even worse is a scenario where 2 parts of the spell target you, but a third says choose, and they choose someone else to "break" this treasure, that's silly and while not cheating, it's cheating (metagaming) the system. This is certainly not working as intended. So we have to argue intent, and unfortunately *no* answer is going to be "correct" unless you can get an official response.

So let's look at the wording for Deadman's Switch: "When you are the sole target of a foe's spell you may pay 3 Blood. If you do, switch the target to another foe, but not the Wizard attacking you."

The inherent problem here is that it says Spell, but each Spell resolves in three separate parts. It certainly doesn't make sense to go back in time, to change what happened after we find out all the details. Since we don't know who each element of the spell is going to target until they resolve, and targets like "highest HP" could change based on damage done in a previous element... there is no way to predetermine if a player is the "Sole" target of an entire spell. It is however completely clear on one point, that it will only redirect a spell/component that is targeting only you, if it targets multiple people then it will not be redirected.

So for this treasure to work at all, this is the only way that makes sense: As soon as you are the sole target of an element of a spell, you are currently the "sole target of a foe's spell". You could pay 3 blood to activate this treasure, and redirect the spell. This treasure would stay "on" for the whole spell with the same parameters. If any further elements of the spell targeted you, they would reflect to the same chosen wizard. For any element of the spell that targets a single person, and hits you, it would always target that person instead.

If any element of the spell targets 2+ people, this treasure would not work for that element.

If you did not activate it for the Source (for whatever reason), but activated it during the Quality... and assuming all three elements of the spell target you and only you... it would *not* go back in time and redirect the Source, as that has already happened. It would however continue to redirect the Delivery.

If this is an unacceptable answer, then there is one other way to make this treasure fair and usable. Change the wording of the treasure to:

"When you are the sole target of an element of a foe's spell you may..."

If you're going to make this change you may want to reduce the blood cost to 2. Since it would have to be paid multiple times if different elements of a spell target you.

If an amicable decision cannot be reached among the players on this issue, I encourage you to simply remove the treasure from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are links to the two rulebooks:

https://www.cryptozoic.com/sites/default/files/uploads/files...

http://5bfb3b05e6ffc43467f6-22ec8fbae3c088572e1ee8af6db3a2ff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.