United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Black therapist trying to help an autistic patient who wandered off and was playing with a toy truck is shot by police as he is lying on the ground, with his hands in the air, explaining that the other guy is his patient.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/20/black_man_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shot while black , I thougbt we were over this meme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Maybe if an unarmed polite black man who was upon the floor was not shot we might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Maybe if an unarmed polite black man who was upon the floor was not shot we might be.

It amazes me how poised and polite he was if you watch the video. This dude is in control.

Except, of course, the fact that he got shot in the leg apparently for over compliance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

That would explain many of your other posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

It amazes me how poised and polite he was if you watch the video. This dude is in control.

Except, of course, the fact that he got shot in the leg apparently for over compliance.
It seems (literally) for no reason, even the cop seems to not know why he shot him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'm a big, big supporter of cops (worst job in America), but this kind of shit does not help their position. At least throw in a few unarmed white guys getting shot to balance things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Not that this is an excuse AT ALL - but maybe the cops are nervous due to all the cop shootings lately?

Also, this incident shows how poorly understood autism is. Pretty awesome the guy was more concerned that his autism patient would be shot than himself. Sadly he was wrong.

Now this is a reason for people to protest.
And all the other times?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking again, I'm thinking the dude might be Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

It's an awesome feat of self control, but it isn't surprising considering his line of work. He's used to calming emotionally unstable people, and here he is dealing with police. If a patient hits you or injures you, you can't get excitable it just ratchets up their own emotional tension, he is employing those same skills on the police. The question is an instant prompt to reflection, which attempts to get an unstable person to associate cause and effect(a frequently broken connection in mental health along with proportionate response) and it works. That police officer instantly admits he does not know why he did what he did, and had to reflect on it in that moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

....with his hands in the air to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Black therapist trying to help an autistic patient who wandered off and was playing with a toy truck is shot by police as he is lying on the ground, with his hands in the air, explaining that the other guy is his patient.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/20/black_man_...

This one does look pretty bad for the cop -- can't imagine what the heck he was thinking in these circumstances, but I sure can't see a compelling reason for him to shoot that guy.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is ridiculously bad. The guy is on his back with both arms up. He supplies the cops with an explanation of who he is and who the other guy is. Anyone with a shred of training can recognize that the patient is autistic or mentally ill, he explains that what he has is a toy truck. You could not get more cooperative than this guy was. Remarkably, they still have all their guns trained on him and he gets shot. Then handcuffed and rolled over !
The only good thing is that the cop seems to have admitted he was wrong instead of the usual coverup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Yeah, this is ridiculously bad. The guy is on his back with both arms up. He supplies the cops with an explanation of who he is and who the other guy is. Anyone with a shred of training can recognize that the patient is autistic or mentally ill, he explains that what he has is a toy truck. You could not get more cooperative than this guy was. Remarkably, they still have all their guns trained on him and he gets shot. Then handcuffed and rolled over !
The only good thing is that the cop seems to have admitted he was wrong instead of the usual coverup.
Give it 24 hours, and calls for his sacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
You know, after viewing the video, it could be the cop had an involuntary movement and pulled the trigger. It's not really an excuse, but the situation really didn't appear that tense just prior to the shot being fired.

Btw, wasn't there a thread recently about how to react when a police officer pulls you over or confronts you, and how that reaction will keep things calm and no one getting shot? Yeah, right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Not that this is an excuse AT ALL - but maybe the cops are nervous due to all the cop shootings lately?

Also, this incident shows how poorly understood autism is. Pretty awesome the guy was more concerned that his autism patient would be shot than himself. Sadly he was wrong.

And all the other times?

it's a case by case basis and I have been pretty clear on making my positions known on the cases brought up here. Too many times though, the left (and BLM) picks the worse cases as to rally behind. Freddie Gray and Ferguson being to well known examples.
Yet you try to find a way to justify even this action.

If a copper is so nervous he shoots a prone unarmed man who is nor resisting then I have to say that man should not , and cannot be, a police officer. Hell I wouild not let him be in charge of a pair of safety scissors.

At best "he was nervous" is "he was not suitable for the role".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you pull a gun, you may kill someone. You have to accept that.

A leg shot could have easily killed the therapist in less than 60 seconds if a major artery was hit.

It is unconscionable that the police would handcuff a bleeding man and not administer any care for 20 minutes. He could have bled out.

I agree shooting a person on the ground with their hands up means you should not be in a position to hold guns on the public again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
I agree shooting a person on the ground with their hands up means you should not be in a position to hold guns on the public again.

Man, you're taking all the fun out of being a cop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
When you pull a gun, you may kill someone. You have to accept that.

A leg shot could have easily killed the therapist in less than 60 seconds if a major artery was hit.

It is unconscionable that the police would handcuff a bleeding man and not administer any care for 20 minutes. He could have bled out.

This happens almost every day. The police do not have an obligation legally speaking to save your life. Their job legally speaking is to control the situation. I agree with you- but that is not what the police see their job as and that is not how the law treats them in 99% of cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

And all the other times?

it's a case by case basis and I have been pretty clear on making my positions known on the cases brought up here. Too many times though, the left (and BLM) picks the worse cases as to rally behind. Freddie Gray and Ferguson being to well known examples.
Yet you try to find a way to justify even this action.

If a copper is so nervous he shoots a prone unarmed man who is nor resisting then I have to say that man should not , and cannot be, a police officer. Hell I wouild not let him be in charge of a pair of safety scissors.

At best "he was nervous" is "he was not suitable for the role".

I said above, it is not an excuse at all. I know reading is hard for you. The reason I give cops so big of a benefit of the doubt and don't call for an instant sacking on the spot like you are is for 2 reasons:

1) I am a military veteran and understand how stressful combat situations are. Contrary to popular belief police (and military) personal are not constantly in combat situations. All the training in the world can't prepare you for the real thing and mistakes do happen. You are called upon to make life and death decisions in a split second. Some leeway must be given to individuals who have such a stressful and dangerous job in case they make the wrong decision. How much leeway given should be investigated by experts and not the internet crowd and determined on a case by case basis. The officer saying he was sorry is a good mitigating factor however the callous disregard they showed after they shot him.

2) I believe in due process and following procedure. When mistakes like this happens, it is too easy to give into emotions and say "this guy should never be a cop again!" But thank goodness cooler heads prevail in our society and we follow rules. This cop should go through the departmental rules regarding an incident like this. This officer should also go through the due process of the law if he is charged with a crime. If society wants to change those rules, then great we have procedures for doing that. let's follow that a go through the legislative process for doing so.

That being said, the cop fucked up. I don't know if he should ever be a cop again. I am going to leave that up to experts to decide because I am not one of them.* I do know that in the military, I had young kids under my command that sometimes fucked up and sometimes badly, after they were reprimanded sometimes they would be the best sailors I ever worked with.

*If the system is corrupt and we can't trust experts to make that decision then we need to fix that corruption. However, with big government, unions and two sets of justice (one for the Clintons and one for regular folk) maybe that isn't possible anymore.
Sorry, you said it was not an excuse, but that is just what it is. It is a way of excusing his action.

He was not in a combat situation, he was not even in a "being slightly threatened by aggressive language" situation. This was not a life and death scenario, it was not even a life or being slightly upset scenario.

Again you are not making excuses just offering mitigating factors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
galad2003 wrote:

That being said, the cop fucked up. I don't know if he should ever be a cop again. I am going to leave that up to experts to decide because I am not one of them.* I do know that in the military, I had young kids under my command that sometimes fucked up and sometimes badly, after they were reprimanded sometimes they would be the best sailors I ever worked with.

Errrr, did one of these kids shoot someone laying on the ground with his hands up? I'm assuming their fuck ups were of a lighter sort.

This officer should never have a badge again. I don't know how more cut and dry it gets than this. Sure, give him his due process, by all means. But make sure that due process comes with a dollop of not just excusing the behavior because of the "circle the wagons" mentality and the influence of police union reps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth noting that the therapist who got shot was literally trying to save his patient's life (because he knew the toy truck could be mistaken for a gun) and knew he was risking his life to do so. That guy is a goddamn hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think cops should have a duty of care until EMS arrives. They should at least apply simple compression, confirm the person can breath regularly, put anyone injured in a more comfortable position.

Once they put the handcuffs on someone, they are responsible for that person's life because that person can't take care of themselves any more.

It is unbelievable the cases we have seen here where the cops stand around chatting while the person dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
You know, after viewing the video, it could be the cop had an involuntary movement and pulled the trigger. It's not really an excuse, but the situation really didn't appear that tense just prior to the shot being fired.

I'd thought that the operational protocol in this kind of situation was to lay the finger alongside the trigger-guard whilst in a negotiation, is that not the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.