$30.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: What Would This Game Fire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bheat bheat
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far this game looks great, but as a lot of reviewers have pointed out there are similarities to games like Nexus Ops / Kemet / etc. What I haven't seen a reviewer mention is if this replaces any of those games for them.

In particular Kemet is one of my favorites, anybody planning on getting rid of something to make room for Cry Havoc?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to try Cry Havoc first of course, after seeing Rodney's Playthrough with this son, I have a better idea of how this actually plays now though.

I think it would definitely fire Nexus Ops for me, despite that one being shorter. Then again I already fired Nexus Ops with Cthulhu Wars.

I think Blood Rage, Cyclades and Scythe all offer different enough experiences. Blood Rage being more draft-centric and reactive. Cyclades being more of an Auction-battle, and Scythe being far more of an efficiency, resource-management game. Cthulhu Wars is dice chucking fun, so I think that's different enough as well.

I do see this directly competing with Kemet and Clockwork Wars for me though. Both of those are highly confrontational games for resource generating map regions while building up techs.

There's also the upcoming Inis which seems to be in the same realm of non-random combat. Fate of the Elder Gods as well.

It's great to see so much traction in my favorite class of game... but it's sad to have to now pick favorites. I might need to buy them all and then decide, hah. I'm assuming Cry Havoc will be getting demo'd at BGG.CON, so I'll decide then.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bheat wrote:
So far this game looks great, but as a lot of reviewers have pointed out there are similarities to games like Nexus Ops / Kemet / etc. What I haven't seen a reviewer mention is if this replaces any of those games for them.

In particular Kemet is one of my favorites, anybody planning on getting rid of something to make room for Cry Havoc?

I think Joel from Drive Thru Review said he no longer needs to play Nexus Ops and Kemet because of Cry Havoc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely seems like Cry Havoc aspired to be a better Nexus Ops, but I'm not as sure about Kemet. They'd still have very different feels. Kemet is a game of checks and balances where you race to get tech's to get a leg up on, or counter, other players. In Cry Havoc, the cards you get are hidden information, and the game is more about hand management.

There is a lot of overlap though, the board works similarly. Both games are a race to set victory points. Both games are battles over resource generating areas.

I could see the two competing, but I'm guessing people who are quick to replace Kemet have already played it out.

Also, Joel Eddy didn't seem to be that enamored with Kemet. What I can tell from his profile, he played it a few times, rated it a 7, and then traded it away. Not to speak for him of course, but if that's where he rates Kemet and he loves Cry Havoc so much, there must be something different about the game that really appeals to him. He seemed to talk about Kemet a lot as a 2-player game in his review, the way Trogs work in Cry Havoc, it definitely seems like a more interesting 2 player game. Making a lot of assumptions here though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's no day-glo lava leaper, then there's no way this replaces Nexus Ops.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
Also, Joel Eddy didn't seem to be that enamored with Kemet. What I can tell from his profile, he played it a few times, rated it a 7, and then traded it away. Not to speak for him of course, but if that's where he rates Kemet and he loves Cry Havoc so much, there must be something different about the game that really appeals to him. He seemed to talk about Kemet a lot as a 2-player game in his review, the way Trogs work in Cry Havoc, it definitely seems like a more interesting 2 player game. Making a lot of assumptions here though.


Joel tends to be very responsive to comments on his videos here on BGG, so if you asked him on the Cry Havoc video I'm sure he'd be happy to answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems quite early to say. I think Kemet has proven its worth over several years so it is a bit early for cry havoc to fire it before it is even out

That said, the response so far for cry havoc has been very positive, so I am very excited to play it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to play it of course, but my hype is very high even before the glowing reviews because of the designers.

In General I'd say:
Eclipse
Blood Rage
Dominant Species
Kemet
Chaos in the Old World
Runewars
Forbidden Stars
Cyclades
Small World
Dune
Rex: Final Days of an Empire
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
Archipelago
Nexus Ops
Tiny Epic Kingdoms
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Hyperborea
Evo (second edition)
Quartermaster General
Fief: France 1429
Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
City of Remnants
The Lord of the Ice Garden
Onward to Venus
Cave Troll
BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia
Risk
March of the Ants

Ok, I think I've had my fun lol.

In all seriousness, not a lot it can replace in my collection as I've already purged a lot in anticipation for the game.

Other area control games I got
StarCraft: The Board Game - Out of the 661 different board games I've played, this one is my favorite. It's going nowhere.

A Game of Thrones (first edition) - I love this game, but it's hard to get to the table. I don't see it going anywhere (certainly not from cry havoc).

Clockwork Wars - This one I'm a little worried about. I love this game, it's in my top 25 of all time. But it is very similar to Cry Havoc. Both play fast. Both have powers you put out on the board. Another con is it's a big box. I've thought about making my own version of the game with several tweaks, and making it warcraft on a warcraft map. Maybe Cry Havoc will push me there.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Clockwork Wars - This one I'm a little worried about. I love this game, it's in my top 25 of all time. But it is very similar to Cry Havoc. Both play fast. Both have powers you put out on the board. Another con is it's a big box. I've thought about making my own version of the game with several tweaks, and making it warcraft on a warcraft map. Maybe Cry Havoc will push me there.


My worry there is that Clockwork Wars is largely unknown and barely sought after. If Cry Havoc does manage to be a better game, it's going to be really hard to trade off or sell Clockwork Wars.

I dunno though, Clockwork Wars has that really neat simultaneous action planning and the combat almost feels like a game of checkers/chess. Think that's still largely unique. There's a lot more variety in Clockwork Wars with the promo tiles and expansion faction bringing it up to 5 players... but the biggest decider for me may actually be the pre-made board and how much quicker Cry Havoc will be to setup and get going.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Clockwork Wars - This one I'm a little worried about. I love this game, it's in my top 25 of all time. But it is very similar to Cry Havoc. Both play fast. Both have powers you put out on the board. Another con is it's a big box. I've thought about making my own version of the game with several tweaks, and making it warcraft on a warcraft map. Maybe Cry Havoc will push me there.


My worry there is that Clockwork Wars is largely unknown and barely sought after. If Cry Havoc does manage to be a better game, it's going to be really hard to trade off or sell Clockwork Wars.

I dunno though, Clockwork Wars has that really neat simultaneous action planning and the combat almost feels like a game of checkers/chess. Think that's still largely unique. There's a lot more variety in Clockwork Wars with the promo tiles and expansion faction bringing it up to 5 players... but the biggest decider for me may actually be the pre-made board and how much quicker Cry Havoc will be to setup and get going.


Pretty much agree with all of that. That and I just don't simply have room for 4 area control games in my collection I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I'm hoping it is more of an intersection between Chaos in the Old World and Nexus Ops.

CitOW is one of the highest-ranked games of my Geekbuddies, but I can't get the 4-players regularly.

Nexus Ops was one of my favorite articulations of multiplayer conflict because it tends away from kingmaking.

I'm hoping Cry Havoc provides the flexible asymmetry of CitOW with the objective-driven incentives of Nexus Ops.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This game certainly does not fire Kemet

Seriously, there is one thing that is really going for Cry Havoc and it is the interesting combat mechanism dilemma. The area control, upgrade system and theme implementation of Kemet are miles ahead in my opinion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
This game certainly does not fire Kemet :D


That's true, can't fire a game that's already been fired :)

Slashdoctor wrote:
The area control, upgrade system and theme implementation of Kemet are miles ahead




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik D.
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:
The area control, upgrade system and theme implementation of Kemet are miles ahead






In his opinion.
Thank you for respecting a man's opinion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing to me that Clockwork Wars is even being mentioned in the same breath as Kemet, Cyclades, CitOW and Blood Rage. If I took the components of all 4 of those games and mixed them up in one box, I would still have a more coherent game than Clockwork Wars.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
It's amazing to me that Clockwork Wars is even being mentioned in the same breath as Kemet, Cyclades, CitOW and Blood Rage. If I took the components of all 4 of those games and mixed them up in one box, I would still have a more coherent game than Clockwork Wars.


I've only played it once and didn't think it was "incoherent". I'd play it again though it's not a game I would seek out. Components aside, I did like it better than Blood Rage but not as much as Kemet or Forbidden Stars. The simultaneous planning and movement mechanism was very cool and made for an extremely tense game.

If I buy Cry Havoc, which I almost certainly will, I suspect I will feel no need to add either Blood Rage or Clockwork Wars to my collection which I was currently planning on doing at some point. So, for me, I guess it fired them.

Nexus Ops though, that one seems a lot simpler than any of the other games that have been mentioned, so I think that one will stay for when I am just looking for a game that is very easy to teach and understand that I can get out and play quickly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
It's amazing to me that Clockwork Wars is even being mentioned in the same breath as Kemet, Cyclades, CitOW and Blood Rage. If I took the components of all 4 of those games and mixed them up in one box, I would still have a more coherent game than Clockwork Wars.


Opinions and all that... but I'm not really seeing where you're coming from. Clockwork Wars was incoherent to you? Maybe it wasn't taught well? In my experience, of all those games you mentioned, Clockwork Wars has been the easiest to teach and have people pick up. It's also one of the quickest to develop strategies for. Maybe I don't understand what your complaint is, you make it sound like there are a ton of components but here are just discs for workers, special units and then the 3 guys you can purchase. I know full well that not every game is going to be for everyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bheat bheat
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think i'm with you about keeping Kemet around. After looking at it a bit more, the fighting does seem different enough, plus in Cry Havoc everybody starts different, where in Kemet everybody starts the same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
Opinions and all that... but I'm not really seeing where you're coming from. Clockwork Wars was incoherent to you?


Should have been clearer (more coherent perhaps). I didn't mean incoherent as in confusing or nonsensical. I meant it just felt like a bunch of mechanisms thrown together because the designer liked them, without the development or refinement required to make it feel like they all belonged in the same game and worked towards a well defined player experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
TyDeL wrote:
Opinions and all that... but I'm not really seeing where you're coming from. Clockwork Wars was incoherent to you?


Should have been clearer (more coherent perhaps). I didn't mean incoherent as in confusing or nonsensical. I meant it just felt like a bunch of mechanisms thrown together because the designer liked them, without the development or refinement required to make it feel like they all belonged in the same game and worked towards a well defined player experience.


I see, I didn't feel that at all though, I have felt that in other games, like Euphoria. In a way I think every designer does that to a degree, "I love this type of game, but I want to make it work this way". In the case of Clockwork Wars the designer wanted a 4x style game with deterministic combat and simultaneous action selection because those were his favorite types of games.

I feel like it all works very well, the main game on the board that everyone plans in secret is like an abstract game of tactics and area control. Love all the double-guessing it creates as you try to assume other player's moves. I love that technology is a physical thing on the board that must be protected or taken. I like that scoring tiles require sacrifices, that poor route planning can kill off workers through attrition. The cards with special events are the only thing that might feel a touch tacked on, or at least unbalanced, I could understand that complaint, but it doesn't bother me. It's not any less predictable than the craziness in Blood Rage and actually works as a sort of balancing factor as you typically play them on runaway leaders.
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Seriously, there is one thing that is really going for Cry Havoc and it is the interesting combat mechanism dilemma. The area control, upgrade system and theme implementation of Kemet are miles ahead in my opinion.


I already fired Kemet for that ridiculous upgrade system.

Seriously, here's how teaching the game goes everytime:
"Here's the game system. Pretty simple really; you have six actions that are all pretty simple. Now that you've learned that, let me spend thirty minutes to explain what each and every tech that's available does, because there's one stupid crappy pamphlet for all 5 of us to share."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diederik wrote:
In his opinion.
Thank you for respecting a man's opinion.


Going "huh" is not disrespecting someone's opinion. Doing it with funny gif, means it shouldn't be overly taken seriously.

People can love whatever games they want to love, that's what is great about this hobby. This is a discussion forum though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clockwork Wars is super easy to teach, I've even played it with non gamers. Can't say that about the others mentioned here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:
Seriously, there is one thing that is really going for Cry Havoc and it is the interesting combat mechanism dilemma. The area control, upgrade system and theme implementation of Kemet are miles ahead in my opinion.


I already fired Kemet for that ridiculous upgrade system.

Seriously, here's how teaching the game goes everytime:
"Here's the game system. Pretty simple really; you have six actions that are all pretty simple. Now that you've learned that, let me spend thirty minutes to explain what each and every tech that's available does, because there's one stupid crappy pamphlet for all 5 of us to share."

That huge swath of upgrade tokens (are they tokens?) that devour even the largest tables is why I've avoided Kemet. Too much of a good thing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
...because there's one stupid crappy pamphlet for all 5 of us to share."


There's a very nice player aid in the file section that should solve that problem for you.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98915/player-aid-all-powe...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.