BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Rolling 3d6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D24 Wrestling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
I'm working on a game, and the 3d6 mechanic is working great! I did have thought that kind of concerned me (since there is a lot of dice rolling): Is it uncomfortable rolling 3d6 out of one hand, and would this be a problem for some people? I have tried it, and it seems to be fine. I know that a dice cup is an alternative, but this is a print-and-play game, and some won't have/want access to the cup. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluedevler wrote:
I'm working on a game, and the 3d6 mechanic is working great! I did have thought that kind of concerned me (since there is a lot of dice rolling): Is it uncomfortable rolling 3d6 out of one hand, and would this be a problem for some people? I have tried it, and it seems to be fine. I know that a dice cup is an alternative, but this is a print-and-play game, and some won't have/want access to the cup. Thanks!
I feel pretty comfortable rolling about 10 six-sided dice in one hand.

Pete (played the Shadowrun Roleplaying Game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh J
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
You should be fine. Run, Fight, or Die has... I think it's 6 d6 (I'm sitting here looking at the box but don't want to get up) you roll and they're much bigger than your normal d6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like rolling 3 (or 4 d6s). Games like Melee/Wizard and Gladiator used to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no problem at all
I think dice cups are more intended as an organizational thing as in dice used vs not used

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The "not have access to a cup" thing made me laugh really hard, picturing someone with a nice color printer and dice but ALAS! no cups... I could roll 3 dice in one hand though I'd prefer to use 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

"Okay so I get 8 dice from my Assault Rifle specialization, add 4 more from my Combat Pool, hitting on 2s..."

Speaking of "comfortable amount of dice to hold" King of Tokyo wants you to roll 6 oversized d6, and that's a game meant for littler ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Games where you roll the edges of your dice when the combat lasts longer than three rounds doesn't count.

That said, 3d6 is perfectly acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gib Gummi! is a game made to be accessible to toddlers, and it has players rolling 3 d6 at a time. You're fine.

Tons of dice rolling games have players rolling more than that. Off the top of my head (and some mentioned previously):

King of Tokyo: 6-8
Run Fight or Die: 6
Yahtzee: 5
Qwixx: 6
Elder Sign: 6-9
Age of War: 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
bluedevler wrote:

Roll CoffeeCanFullD6!

Games Workshop players also scoff at the idea that rolling 3D6 poses some sort of challenge.

"Let's see, 20 dice for the bolters, plus a red die for the missile launcher, a blue die for the melta-gun..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:

Yahtzee: 6
?

Pete (may have played wrong for years)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 4 player game of Grand Austria Hotel, they ask you to roll 14x d6's to setup the board each round !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Emu Prime wrote:

?

Emu Prime wrote:

Age of War: 6

...and this has 7, maybe they're using an Age of War dice in Yahtzee for an interesting variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo uses 6 25mm d6. 3 16mm d6 shouldn't be a problem except for children and people with very small hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3d6 is the standard Start-O-Matic dice roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Emu Prime wrote:

?

Emu Prime wrote:

Age of War: 6

...and this has 7, maybe they're using an Age of War dice in Yahtzee for an interesting variant

Nope, just a bad memory! I remembered incorrectly that Age of War had 6 like Elder Sign, since the mechanics are near identical. Going back and fixing that post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.