John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi this is my first post here,

so I've made a few games. I don't have much at my disposal in the ways of uhh, artistic talent or any type of skills at art design/component production, etc.

What I do have are decks of playing cards and dice and paper. I've used these to make 3 games so far, with my latest being something to "write home about" I think. It's a dice placement game using varying actions per dice to earn sets to earn points, and it's turned out IMO like a lighter euro card game. I've played it about 10 times with other people and it has gone well each time. I've taken extensive play test notes and have a nearly finalized draft of the rules. I'm still working on tweaks and a few minor mechanics but my question is how much do I need to worry about art and components and all of that? Where do I even start?

The thing is, the game is 100% playable with 2 decks of cards and 5 dice per player. I literally don't need any extra custom components, while they would definitely be nice the game is, dare I say, susceptible to the posting on of any theme. I would like to try and get it published one day in some form but am not really sure how to proceed, since like I said art/flair would be nice but it's 100% unnecessary from a strict gameplay point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider simply posting the rules for free somewhere, even here on BGG. I don't know the right forum off-hand, but perhaps someone else can possibly point you in the right direction for games that use standard components like that. One example that I can think of off-hand is Dueling Nobles. With a game like that, you might not find a huge audience willing to pay much money for it, but you can begin to build a fan-base for the kinds of projects you create.

Alternatively or simultaneously, you can create a print-n-play version with more customized art. As far as finding an artist, that's a whole different quest. You can make a separate posting here on BGG forums as a kind of "classified ad" looking to hire someone. If you're serious about publishing and selling a game, you need to be 100% concerned with art and graphics. Of course, good art costs good money, so you might want to just save your money for a bigger project with a stronger theme, and in the meantime, just give this one out as a free sample of your work.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. The game could easily be "themed" and I have a few ideas I think because I don't necessarily want it just to be a deck and cards. It WOULD be better with custom art/theme attached. My biggest roadblock though is just no skill/experience with art/production in this manner. I'll post the rules once I get them more or less finalized, at least in my eyes anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be surprised with what you can do with simple gradients, textures, and freely available icons.

> game-icons.net
> thenounproject.com

It does not require significant skill with art to put something together that will be slightly better than a plain deck of cards.

That said, if the game really only needs a deck of cards and a handful of dice then you may be in a position to get a lot of feedback if you posted the rules online here. Low construction costs can bring at lats a few playtesters to your door with valuable feedback.

Don't be afraid of letting more people have a look at the game.

I look forward to seeing the rules when you have them available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you that's very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.