$20.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Steam: Map Expansion #5» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Clarifications... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Dunstkreis
msg tools
Hi everyone,

I just got the game and read through the rules, but there are a couple things I'm not quite certain about.

India and South-East US map:
1. In both the India and SE US maps, you can place cubes on towns. It says that once you build a tile on that town, you can deliver these cubes to cities. This sounds like you can NOT deliver the cubes if your track is only connecting to a town (i.e. no track on top of the town yet but only adjacent). With steam barons we played that cubes on towns could already be delivered if track tiles were going to that town, not necessarily on top of it. Either that was wrong or it's different with expansion #5. Anyone's opinion on this?

South-East US map:
2. It says to put 5x3 cubes in City Growth Goods Supply Spaces and 5x2 in Town Growth Goods Supply spaces. There are 12 Goods Supply Spaces on the map, so I assume two are left empty?

3. The Resupply tile allows you to refill empty Goods Supply spaces. I assume that the two that are empty from the start (assuming that my conclusion from question 2 is correct) should remain empty and only spaces that have been depleted during the game may be refilled. Do you also get to place 3 cubes on the Town Growth Goods Supply Spaces, even though you only placed 2 there in the beginning (the symbol on the action tile has a 3 printed on top of the goods icons...) ?

5. Town Growth "You must pay $1 to the bank if you choose this action". Does this also apply to a Standard Game? I assume it doesn't (but it's not written in blue (for base game rules), that's why I'm asking).

6. It says to use the City Growth action tile from this expansion, but if you want to play with the Corporate Charity extra action tile (the other side of the tile), then what? Should you take the City Growth action tile from the original Steam game (I can't imagine that you'd play without any City Growth).

All Bonus Material:
7. I assume that all the material can be used with any maps and combined in any way, whichever way we want to play it (except if an extra action tile would replace a scenario specific tile).

Demanding Suppliers:
8. Setup, Version 2: This is really unclear to me. Do you remove one cube from each city? Or just 5 in total, one of each color, from cities randomly chosen?

Extra Action Tiles:
9. Do the tiles replace others with the same number? For example, in a Standard Game on Europe Lower Rhine and Ruhr, would you replace the Turn Order action tile with The Surveyor, because they are both #1 (even thoug h in the standard game the numbers don't matter) or can you keep them both in? Similarly, could you play with both Midnight Express and Local Payoff (both being #8)? And does Corporate Charity replace City Growth (because it's on the back side of the City Growth tile)? Since I can't imagine that this latter case would be correct, I'm concluding that in a Standard Game, you could use ALL the normal and the extra action tiles, whereas in a base game, you would only have one of each number (and you pick at the start of the game, which ones you want to use).

10. Midnight Express: "You must pay $2 when you take this tile". Does this also apply to the Standard Game? I assume it doesn't.

Lots of questions...
Would be great to hear someone's take on this...!
Looking forward to playing and varying the game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Dunstkreis
msg tools
...seems like those were too many questions at once in my previous post

Having played the first game on the India map now, I figure that both maps are probably best played with the Base Game (as opposed to Standard Game) rules.

On the SE-US map, the Resupply Action tile essentially means providing goods for others that they can then put on the map... not a particularly good card if it wouldn't also make you #1 in turn order.

And on the India map, it even says for the "Exotic Demands" action tile to execute the card immediately "after all actions are selected", which makes sense for the base game (seeing that you're first in turn order) but would be very poor for a standard game, seeing that you'd place cubes on towns possibly long before it's your turn to build tracks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Dunstkreis
msg tools
igordunstkreis wrote:

Having played the first game on the India map now, I figure that both maps are probably best played with the Base Game (as opposed to Standard Game) rules.


Yesterday we played the SE-US map but the group didn't want to play the Base Game rules... so we decided to merge the functions of the "Resupply Action Tile" with the "Turn Order Action Tile" of the Standard Game on other maps. In other words, if you picked the Resupply Action Tile, on top of refilling an empty good's supply space, you could also pass once in next round's auction without being eliminated from the auction.

I think this worked really well and could be a solution if playing the SE-US map with standard game rules. I think it could also be an option for the India map to merge the functions of the Exotic Demands Action Tile with the Turn Order Action Tile.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cantet Jb
msg tools
Like you, I think that resupply action and exotic demand action dont work with the standard rules and need clarifications.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
igordunstkreis wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just got the game and read through the rules, but there are a couple things I'm not quite certain about.

India and South-East US map:
1. In both the India and SE US maps, you can place cubes on towns. It says that once you build a tile on that town, you can deliver these cubes to cities. This sounds like you can NOT deliver the cubes if your track is only connecting to a town (i.e. no track on top of the town yet but only adjacent). With steam barons we played that cubes on towns could already be delivered if track tiles were going to that town, not necessarily on top of it. Either that was wrong or it's different with expansion #5. Anyone's opinion on this?

In pretty much every Steam/Age of Steam map, towns are connected to a rail network once the rail actually touches the town (which is that little gray or white circle on the board), not the edge of the hex in which the town is located. Thematically, towns are small -- that's why they can't support tracks in 6 directions. As they grow, they fill up the land in that hex. They eventually grow into a New City, which reaches all 6 hex sides (so you can build track to the hex edge and connect to it immediately).
igordunstkreis wrote:
South-East US map:
2. It says to put 5x3 cubes in City Growth Goods Supply Spaces and 5x2 in Town Growth Goods Supply spaces. There are 12 Goods Supply Spaces on the map, so I assume two are left empty?

Seems likely!
igordunstkreis wrote:

3. The Resupply tile allows you to refill empty Goods Supply spaces. I assume that the two that are empty from the start (assuming that my conclusion from question 2 is correct) should remain empty and only spaces that have been depleted during the game may be refilled. Do you also get to place 3 cubes on the Town Growth Goods Supply Spaces, even though you only placed 2 there in the beginning (the symbol on the action tile has a 3 printed on top of the goods icons...) ?

I'd think it only applied to the 10 spaces. However, if the rules make no comment specifically to cover the remaining 2, then I'd go the other way: all 12 available! But if Town Growth Good Supply is not mentioned, I'd think the answer would be no -- regular spaces only.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.