skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious what others think. Is the game better when a character, out of the box, can do 3 damage and deal with the abominations? I have played both, and I find it interesting, but not sure what way I like it best. Having to run from an abomination makes some interesting gameplay, but at the same time, digging through the item deck for 2 items is also frustrating.

I think it matters less when you have the ability (i.e. figures), to have more than one abomination on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't tried it, but I think I'd prefer starting with max 2-damage (if they have hammers) characters. A big big mechanic is searching and praying that you get those good weapons or the dragon bile/torch. Otherwise, I think you'd lose the excitement of the draw. It brings me back to Diablo II style equipment grinding. Fun times.

That said, if you don't have a lot of time to play, then I could see the value in starting with a 3-damage character. Bad luck (or shuffling) in searching could really extend your play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've fully adopted the variant described here :
My house rules for new Abominations

Abominations have ~5 hit points and 1 armor, which means each 2-strength hit does 1 damage, and each 3-strength hit does 2 damage.

It's quite expensive in terms of actions to deal with them, so they're still scary, but bad luck and not finding a torch isn't an auto-loss; strength 3 is still useful, but not nearly as broken as without the variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like the frantic feeling of scrambling as a group to find a way to take out the Abominations.

However, we limit the number of Abominations by not putting every spawn card in the deck. So they still remain rare enough that the party can usually either eqhuip or level into being able to handle what comes up sans very unlucky draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
Dystopian wrote:
I've fully adopted the variant described here :
My house rules for new Abominations

Abominations have ~5 hit points and 1 armor, which means each 2-strength hit does 1 damage, and each 3-strength hit does 2 damage.

It's quite expensive in terms of actions to deal with them, so they're still scary, but bad luck and not finding a torch isn't an auto-loss; strength 3 is still useful, but not nearly as broken as without the variant.

Glad people like my work

The scaling lets you use whatever survivors you want but Aboms are still scary since you can fill your deck with them more often. Having 2 or 3 out at once is scary as all. It just takes a lot to put them down and other zombies keep coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.